• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590a1 owner, questions about modifications

Looking good! Seeing is believing and I believe that I will like my stock when it arrives. It shipped...I'm still waiting.

The XS Sights arrived yesterday and it looks like a job for a gunsmith.

I hadn't heard anything from AIMPRO since my order so I called them today. They said that they had the Heat Shield in stock, but that they got a bad batch of some component of the installation hardware. The replacement hardware is supposed to arrive Tuesday and pending orders are supposed to ship the same day.

I've read somewhere that the heat shield installation is a little easier with the bead front sight. So, I think I'll wait until next week, install the heat shield, and then get the sights installed.

Will keep this updated with pics as things proceed.

Many thanks Sniper.

Yes, that was the thread that I'd referenced earlier Re: easier to install with bead sight.

Heat shield should be easy enough, as I read the front sight instructions the barrel needs to be drilled to fit the front sight. Not something I'm looking to try right now.

Greetings, I have both success and a hiccup to report:

The XS Sights were delivered very quickly, but I held off getting them installed because Ripsnortr had mentioned in his Aimpro Heat Shield install thread that he thought the the heat shield might just slip on if you only had the bead sight installed.

The Aimpro heat shield was delivered on Saturday and feels to be the high quality that I expected.

My description of the installation with some pictures of the finished product, followed by the "hiccup" with my sight installation follows: (I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the heat shield installation process).

The heat shield installation was, essentially, as Ripsnortr described. However, I was not able to just slip it over the barrel with my bead sight as he surmised that you may be able to do. The bead sight was still just too high. You could probably bang/force it over, but I didn't want to damage the parkerized finish on the barrel or shield.

So, I just removed the barrel from the 590 and slid the wider, rear bracket over the end of the barrel until it slid snugly over the wider end of the barrel that goes into the receiver. At that point the front bracket of the heat shield was behind (or nearly behind) the barrel retaining ring (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology).

The front bracket is more narrow than the barrel and you are going to need to snap this around the barrel to continue. Both surfaces being parkerized metal, they are rough and you don't want to scrape them across each other too much. I put a couple cotton squares between the barrel and bracket and was able to squeeze it together easily with my hands.

The kit comes with two different length bolts, a washer, a nut, and a plastic spacer for the front bracket. The instructions say to put the shield on the barrel, and tighten it down with the long bolt to compress the front bracket enough to use the short bolt. The front bracket on mine was already too wide for the longer bolt to get any purchase on the nut. So, before I re-installed the barrel I padded some vice grips with tape and squeezed the front bracket to make it a little tighter.

I used the long bolt, a socket, and allen wrench to compress the front bracket to approximately the width of the plastic spacer. It's important to just turn the bolt with the wrench and hold the nut steady to not damage the finish. Use the washer between the bolt and shield and just the nut on the other side (again so that you don't damage the finish with the spinning bolt). Remove the long bolt from the front bracket once you think you have compressed it enough.

I reinstalled the barrel on the gun. The pressure between the ridge on the receiver and the plastic spacer against the barrel retaining ring is what will keep the shield in place. Push the shield as far back as you can and slide the spacer in place. By applying pressure in both directions (rearward on the shield, forward on the spacer) I was able to get the holes on the spacer to line up with the bracket (the instructions do say that you may need to trim the bracket). Put the washer on the shorter bolt, put the bolt through the hole, and tighten the nut by turning the bolt. As it got really tight, my socket wouldn't hold the nut anymore so I padded a pair of needle nose vice grips with tape and really snugged it up.

A log narrative, I know, but all in all it was pretty straightforward.

Heat%20Shield%201%20small.JPG

Heat%20Shield%202%20small.JPG

Heat%20Shield%203%20small.JPG

Heat%20Shield%204%20small.JPG

Heat%20Shield%205%20small.JPG

OK, so the hiccup was with the XS sights. I didn't realize it, but the front sight requires a front, dovetail ramp that does not come in the kit. Once I get that, my gunsmith says that it will be about $50 to install. A grand total of approx $200 (plus the front ramp) to add ghost ring night sights was more than I was expecting, but I'll end up with the gun that I want and should be about done.

I've spent my time back home writing this post and haven't looked for a dove tail front ramp for the 590a1 yet. Anyone have some tips?

Best Regards

John

Well, to anyone still following my progress...

I've been corresponding with a customer service rep from XS Sights (very helpful and responsive BTW...in fact I sent him an e-mail just before starting this post and he responded before I could get through the first two sentences...two thumbs up).

The 590 sights that XS has are designed for a gun that already has a front dovetail ramp. He directed me to a Remington front ramp that is the correct height for the set, but said that the soldering that would be required for installation on the heavy barrel would require refinishing. Well, the gun is practically brand new and one of the things that I liked about it was the parkerized finish. I don't want to ruin it and have to have it refinished after less than one month of ownership.

I inquired about the banded front sight, again, unfortunately, it is for the standard weight barrel.

On the bright side, he was happy to accept the sights back for a refund.

Also on the bright side, this blue guy got good and dead today with some Federal Reduced Recoil shells and my standard bead sight....

photo.JPG

Very nice work!

Sorry to see the sights didn't work out for you, but with shoot'n like that I think you'll be ok...

I don't blame you for not wanting to solder and ruin the finish on your new barrel. I have no idea if this would work since I don't have the sizes of the remington base you would have to use. Could the base have two holes drilled and countersunk for two #5-40 flat head cap screws? One would go into the existing hole where the bead sight is and the second hole need to be drilled and tapped. I hope that makes sense. I wish I had a picture.

The build is looking good as was the target!

Back