• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 715T question..

Bpr-1

Im waiting on my new 715T to come in.but i read somewhere that the factory oils and such need/should be cleaned out..is this true?
Or is it kind of a personal preference?
Will i damage it if the factory oil is not cleaned out?
What will it affect,if at all?
I also read on here one guy didnt clean his before using it and it worked flawlessly.
So im just curious so that when mine comes in if i should clean it or just start using it.
The range thats handling my transfer is giving a free day pass when it comes in. So id like to use that on the day it arrives or i pickup......thanks in advance.

As stated in another post here, "it can't hurt." Sometimes during shipping, dust or debris may come in contact with the factory-oiled parts and stick to it. I personally cleaned mine before the first use and didn't have any problems. I recommend cleaning it, if nothing else, to just get familiar with the gun. You never know if maybe a field-strip will be required on your first outing (not likely, but probable... ie. a casing gets wedged in the action and you need to take it apart to clear it). Getting to know how it's put together isn't a bad thing.

~DarthJim

clean it. it is "over oiled" from the factory. to explain it kind of simply, the "extra" oil will actually prevent parts from moving properly and may still contain "metal shavings" and other little bits of garbage from the manufacturing process. this is true with ALL firearms, not just the 715t.

Gotchya..i guess ill just pass on the free day pass on pick up then. Ill have to bring it home and clean it first before using..
Thanks guys.

Take the free pass just run home and clean it real quick. Actually forget what I said. Your first time taking the gun apart probably won't be quick lol. But after a few take downs its not that bad. You get better at it. You get a free day at a range with a purchase of a firearm? Damn I wish they did that around here. But then again my state only has one public range. And its not open till April.

well heck then take the free day. Ive only shot 1 gun the day i got it before cleaning it and that was the S&W 22A target model. I think they take stock 22A's and then retool them and make them into special additions i think then they clean the factory grease off and lightly oil them.

This one didnt seem caked up at all right from the box.

My local gun shop gives free passes with a purchase as well, and they are good for a year.

As others have said, you will enjoy your first outing much more if you make sure that the gun is cleaned and lubed properly and you are familiar with all the controls.

Well i just looked it up,good for the day only with a transfer..so ill just pass on it.id rather not realy take any chances on screwing it up by not cleaning it.with my luck,thatll happen.lol.
We kind of have a "range" of sorts here at the shop i work at anyway.but it wouldve been kinda nice to use a actual range for free somewhat. But owell.no biggie.

I find the mag release is a little tricky when i first got it. Im use to it now how hard to push it so it releases.

Second the last round hold open is different as far as it stays open on the last round, you eject the mag and it slams shut thats different then others ive shot. Then the lever lock using the charge handle. You pull it out to release it and when you want to lock it open you pull back and push in on the charge handle to lock it back. I have another gun similar to that

BowerR64 said:
I find the mag release is a little tricky when i first got it. Im use to it now how hard to push it so it releases.

Second the last round hold open is different as far as it stays open on the last round, you eject the mag and it slams shut thats different then others ive shot. Then the lever lock using the charge handle. You pull it out to release it and when you want to lock it open you pull back and push in on the charge handle to lock it back. I have another gun similar to that

After my last shot when the charging handle stays open, I always bring it all the way back into the open position that way it doesn't slam shut on me; I'm sure it can't be good for the top of the mag anyway.

~DarthJim

DarthJim said:
BowerR64 said:

After my last shot when the charging handle stays open, I always bring it all the way back into the open position that way it doesn't slam shut on me; I'm sure it can't be good for the top of the mag anyway.

~DarthJim

Yes that is what i do now but most dont work like that. Once the slide stays back form the last round dropping the mag doesnt let it slam closed. They usually all stay back this one is different.

Did'nt read all the other post so someone else may have already explained this. Definitely clean all new firearms before firing!! The factory grease/oil in most if not all cases is not a lubricant it is shipping grease. It is usually a thick,sticky, wax like layer or film applied to any metal finishes but especially the guts. And seems to do more harm than good during firing. It is suppose to keep your weapon from rusting/weathering during shipping and while its sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold or at least thats what a couple inserts that came w/ some of my guns explained. You can also buy "Gun Grease" made by Hopp's I thought it was lube at first but its for coating your weapon before long storage periods same as factory /shipping grease. I kinda think some of the guns that need break in periods may be partially heating up and melting away or just wearing through that nasty grease. So always clean your new stuff really good before heading to the range!

mike521 said:
Did'nt read all the other post so someone else may have already explained this. Definitely clean all new firearms before firing!! The factory grease/oil in most if not all cases is not a lubricant it is shipping grease. It is usually a thick,sticky, wax like layer or film applied to any metal finishes but especially the guts. And seems to do more harm than good during firing. It is suppose to keep your weapon from rusting/weathering during shipping and while its sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold or at least thats what a couple inserts that came w/ some of my guns explained. You can also buy "Gun Grease" made by Hopp's I thought it was lube at first but its for coating your weapon before long storage periods same as factory /shipping grease. I kinda think some of the guns that need break in periods may be partially heating up and melting away or just wearing through that nasty grease. So always clean your new stuff really good before heading to the range!

The grease maybe doing that but i think the break in is the metal parts rubbing on each other and sort of polishing out the rough microscopic burs on the metal wich drag and can hang.

If you go threw the gun with some say 800/1500 wet dry sand paper and smooth out all the places the metal parts rub, then you will skip over that break in period like i did. I cleaned up my mags, the feedramp, the slide, the top of the trigger housing, i even took apart my trigger group and polished my trigger Thats how far apart i took it. I even debured the extractor spring and the recoil spring.

I took mine out first and shot it into a hill and put 2 mags threw it to make sure nothing major was wrong with it. I then fully cleaned it and started my home break in period. Then i took it to the range and really put some rounds threw it.

I completely agree w/ the deburring & metal parts thing. I also think the break in has alot to do w/ springs and spring tensions. What I was trying to say is some firearms come w/ such a thick layer of grease/gunk that it could cause malfunctions if not cleaned well. And the time it would take to wear through that layer is similar to a break in period & could be confused as a break in period.

Back