• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 930 SPX Owner

usmc1963

I picked up a new 930 SPX at Dick’s yesterday , price tag on the gun was $619.95 + tax. Before I bought it I checked out the front sight and magazine tube, they both looked good. Took the gun home and gave it a good cleaning and went straight to the range. Been reading about breaking in the 930 but all I had were 5, 00 buck and a box of low brass 7 ½ birdshot. The gun shot great and functioned even better. Can’t wait to shoot it again with slugs and more 00 buck. I did notice something I did not notice when I first field stripped the gun. When I get home from the range I was going to give it another cleaning and as I unscrewed the magazine extension to remove the barrel I noticed that as I turned the tube that it was not true, kind of look like if you ever saw a piece of bar stock in a lath that was not running true. When fully tightened the end of the magazine tube looks a little closer (but not much) to the barrel than the main body of the tube. There are no dents, or marks of any kind and all the shells loaded with no feel of any restrictions in the tube and all shells fired and cycled flawlessly. Should I call Mossberg or I’m I just being picky in my old age. Not sure what I would tell them.
Anyway I'm glad I found this forum and thank you

Howdy usmc1963, ane welcome to the club. There'll be someone here who can help you out as I'm not familiar with the 930. If you had an 835 I'd be all over that. Thanx for joinin up and see ya round. Do you have any pix of the tube? That'll help with the problem solving...

ripjack13 said:
Howdy usmc1963, ane welcome to the club. There'll be someone here who can help you out as I'm not familiar with the 930. If you had an 835 I'd be all over that. Thanx for joinin up and see ya round. Do you have any pix of the tube? That'll help with the problem solving...

Thank you for the response and the welcome. No pic, I think it would be hard to see but like a mentioned no problem it maybe just cosmetic.

My Nordic Components mag tube is perfectly straight when I screw it back on. As long as the mag tube is secure I think I would leave well enough alone.

I say if it works leave it be and go shoot and have a big smile. But it would not hurt to call Mossy and let them know what is going on, maybe they send out a replacement at no charge. I have seen some of the crooked tubes at range class. Best way I can describe the one I saw is if it was an extra 5-6 inches long it would of been in the path of the slug exiting the barrel. However that gun functioned 100% also so crooked or not it was a shooter. But I did ask myself if that was mine how much would that bother me?

I’ll know more today because I’m going back to the range with 100 shells of assorted loads, slugs, 00 buckshot high brass and low brass. Going to give it a good workout. Thank you all for your responses.

Sweet...we'll be lookin forward to a full report. Have fun!

Just got back from the range and 100 shells lighter. Set up a target at 25 yards with a 6 inch bull. Shot 3 Remington 1 oz slugs, group just in the black at 3 o’clock, made my adjustment and the next 3 were right of center, another adjustment, last four, dead on. Next 15, Remington 00 buckshot, then 25 Remington Express 7 ½, finishing off with 50 Federal low brass loads. After shooting the slugs the balance of shots were done with a combination of magazine dumps, double tap, slow, fast what ever I could think of to make the gun malfunction, I even loaded the 7 round magazine with alternating low and high brass loads. The gun ran 100 % malfunction free. A couple guys I did not even know came over to see what I was shooting. Love this gun.

Decided to call Mossberg this past Thursday just to inform them of my magazine extension. Well guess what I received in the mail today? Yep, a new magazine extension that is as straight as an arrow. Great response from Mossberg. :D :D :D

Back