• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New and Disappointed Mossberg 500 Owner..

Recently purchased a Mossberg 500 Turkey Thug Shotgun from my local Academy, it was a floor model and on clearance for a very good price.. I'm new to guns so I brought my friend with me and we inspected the gun and made sure it was fully functional before signing on the dotted line.

Fast forward a few days later, haven't even put 1 round through the gun because I wanted to clean the gun thoroughly first..

This is the overly result after cleaning..

First Pass through the barrel..

Second Pass through the barrel..

End Result..

Now fast forward to re-assembly..

Go to put everything back together, cleaned and oiled up.. And it will not cock by 1/3rd of the way back and forth.. HOWEVER if I install everything together WITHOUT the cartridge interrupter (Part # 40 in this diagram) the gun works at it should and cocks back and forth with no issues.

So a few questions are first.. Should a gun be that dirty if it's new? I figured they put a few rounds through it to make sure everything is working properly but after cleaning it, it seems that hundreds of rounds have been fired through it.

And 2nd.. why would cleaning a gun cause the cartridge interrupter to not function properly and bind?

I tried to get Academy to remedy the situation, like replace the gun with a brand new one or exchange it for something else or simply give me my money back and they basically told me there is nothing they could do and couldn't explain why the gun was so dirty if it's never been fired. Any help would be appreciated, I contacted Mossberg and they are sending me both the cartridge interrupter arm and the cartridge stop so we will see what happens. Has anyone else ran into this issue before?

All new Mossberg's ship full of "protectant" grease...so that's normal.
The interrupter could be bent, or not installed just right. Got any close up pix of it?
At least you called Mossberg and they are sending you new stuff....

All new Mossberg's ship full of "protectant" grease...so that's normal.
The interrupter could be bent, or not installed just right. Got any close up pix of it?
At least you called Mossberg and they are sending you new stuff....

I don't have any close up pics atm no. How would that bend or become incorrect by just cleaning the gun?

It's pretty obvious if it cycled when you were inspecting it at the gun dealers and now it won't, it's not together just right.

Just FWIW, I hate taking pump shotguns in general all the way down.

And almost all companies lube the crap out of them before shipping them out. Even guns from overseas are usually goobed up at first.

This is a pretty decent video that shows some tips putting it together.

It's pretty obvious if it cycled when you were inspecting it at the gun dealers and now it won't, it's not together just right.

Just FWIW, I hate taking pump shotguns in general all the way down.

And almost all companies lube the crap out of them before shipping them out. Even guns from overseas are usually goobed up at first.

This is a pretty decent video that shows some tips putting it together.

I followed that video too the letter, there is not really a way for the gun to be put together "incorrectly", the trigger won't go in place, etc. I know we have the gun put together correctly, and if we put it together without the cartridge interrupter it works as it should.

You mention you put it all back together...
This might sound dumb..but check the interupter assembly. Are they on the wrong sides?
#39 & 40 might be on the wrong sides?
I know it's a pain in the butt....but let's do a process of elimination.

A video won't help me. It may help someone else, but probably wouldn't help me. I don't even like fooling with mine to be honest.

If it worked before you took it apart and now it doesn't...something has changed.

You find out what changed, and that will be the answer to why it's not working now.

I really hope that doesn't sound snarky, because it's not meant to be.

Um...scratch my comment. There's no way to be interchangeable ....

You mention you put it all back together...
This might sound dumb..but check the interupter assembly. Are they on the wrong sides?
#39 & 40 might be on the wrong sides?
I know it's a pain in the butt....but let's do a process of elimination.

#39 and #40 only go in the gun 1 way..#40 has a pin that lines up with a hole on the gun itself, there is no way to install them on the incorrect side .

A video won't help me. It may help someone else, but probably wouldn't help me. I don't even like fooling with mine to be honest.

If it worked before you took it apart and now it doesn't...something has changed.

You find out what changed, and that will be the answer to why it's not working now.

I really hope that doesn't sound snarky, because it's not meant to be.

The only thing that changed was that we cleaned the gun.. Nothing was dropped, mishandled or abused in anyway. I guess i'll just wait till the new arms come in and hope it fixes the issue.

Lemme look at mine. I have an 835 but it's pretty much the same. I'll load up a crappy video. Damn camera aint worth a poop...
Brb...

Yup.. Pretty identical, when I take the trigger assembly off, you can see on that side of the trigger that something is hitting the trigger assembly.

If it's in properly it should look like that when it's moving. I'm a visual person. So a video might help me see what's what....
Like john said, there's something not right.
I would suggest stripping it down again and reassembling it. ....

You didn't take the trigger assembly apart did you? Just removed it, clean and replace right?

If it's in properly it should look like that when it's moving. I'm a visual person. So a video might help me see what's what....
Like john said, there's something not right.
I would suggest stripping it down again and reassembling it. ....

I'll see about making a video. Not with the gun at this current moment.

Ok...well that's good.

I gotta split. I won't be back on for the day though. Pickin up my grand kid. Big adventure today....

Sunday I'll see if i have some time to clean mine. It's derty too....and post up a vid of my schananigans on it...

Back