• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Florida owner 590 12 20. Pistol grip

VTX

Hi, so glad I found this site. I just bought a new 590 yesterday. Didn't know anything about shotguns in general but a friend recommended the 500s and I'm so happy to have taken his advice.
What a nice gun. I have had much military training with 45s and ARs M-16, but never had a shotgun.
Just had to go out and shoot it today, and what a blast. In all respects.
So now I must find out all there is to know about this beauty, and this looks like the place to find it.
I'll tell you one thing, you don't want to be on the wrong end of that thing.

Right off I see I need a forehand grip. Any suggestions?

I'm retired and 70 years old. With all the s**t going on out there, I want to feel Safe in my own home, and right now I feel a lot safer.

Peace to all.

Welcome, you will get good help from the people here. You got a nice shotty. If you are looking for what ammo to use just check out the info on this site it is # 1.

cbshooter said:
Welcome, you will get good help from the people here. You got a nice shotty. If you are looking for what ammo to use just check out the info on this site it is # 1.
Thanks I will. Just bought a box of 7 1/2 to try it out.

Welcome aboard!

You certainly have great taste in shotguns! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of the 590 and any other firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum VTX !!

Congrats on the new 590 !

Thanks so much fornthe wecoming words.
I will post some pis here in a while. I have a few other guns here at home for our defance.
I do not hunt as the wife is an animal lover, and as you know, if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
I do like to shoot. Thinking of putting up a back stop in the back yard for practice. Although it doesn't take a lot of that with the 590. Just point and pull.

VTX wrote: "Thinking of putting up a back stop in the back yard for practice. Although it doesn't take a lot of that with the 590. Just point and pull."

=======================================================

Actually VTX, a shotgun does need to be sighted-in and patterned with different loads, as each one will differ in POA/POI ( point of aim / point of impact ). Point and pull...yea, you can do that...but do you want to ?!

SHOOTER13 said:
VTX wrote: "Thinking of putting up a back stop in the back yard for practice. Although it doesn't take a lot of that with the 590. Just point and pull."

=======================================================

Actually VTX, a shotgun does need to be sighted-in and patterned with different loads, as each one will differ in POA/POI ( point of aim / point of impact ). Point and pull...yea, you can do that...but do you want to ?!
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard!

You certainly have great taste in shotguns! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of the 590 and any other firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

I'll have to find some info on sighting in, I do care a great deal that I hit what I'm aiming for.
I don't plan on shooting at anything not in my house, 15-30 ft away.
Would I need to do any sighting for that close?

Hi VTX!!! Thank you for your service sir and thank you for joining Mossberg Owners!!!

The 500/590 family of arms in general is very robust and reliable!

There are a couple places I recommend checking out on the forum. I would stop by the "Ammunition" section and take a look at what we have already been able to pattern to give you some ideas on loads to test out for your self.

As for aiming and sighting, my recommendation is to set up a station or two, and one should be whatever your longest Home Defense shot would be. You really dont need anything fancy, some cardboard, or any paper about 30" across. Put a dot in the center, point at it, and pull the trigger! Fun and easy! Some loads pattern much tighter than others, and some have acceptable results well beyond HD ranges. The idea though is to pick a few different types of loads and see which yeilds the best results for you through your firearm.

As for forends with handles of some sort, I say stop by the 590 section and take a look at the photo thread at the top, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours", you'll find all sorts of good stuff there too!

Check these out!

Ammunition
I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours!

I'd have to agree with the guys,

It's a good idea to make sure you're hitting what you're aiming at, but even more important to know what ELSE you may hit. There is a ridiculous variety of loads out there, so finding the right one for HD is crucial. Practicing for consistent shot placement in a tight pattern will help to reduce the possibility of collateral damage to property or innocent bystanders.

As for foregrips, I've found a couple that I like...

The 590a1 on top is wearing a Magpul AFG and that's a Tapco Itrafuse Short Vertical Grip on the 590 Cruiser, both mounted on UTG tri-rail forends.

VTX wrote: "I don't plan on shooting at anything not in my house, 15-30 ft away. Would I need to do any sighting for that close? "

===========================================================
Absolutely...if for no other reason than you want to know, given the particular load of buckshot you are using...how much the shot disperses in that 15 to 30 foot range...and what happens when that load keeps going should you miss the intended target. I'm sure your neighbors will care... ;)

(BTW: Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds. Please do NOT use it for self defense.)

Check out this site as a start: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

(Bottom of page 2 retorts that "point & pull" statement )

============================================================

...And, thank you for your service !! Were you in the 'Nam ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Thank you for your service, it is much appreciated!

SHOOTER13 said:
VTX wrote: "I don't plan on shooting at anything not in my house, 15-30 ft away. Would I need to do any sighting for that close? "

Absolutely...if for no other reason than you want to know, given the particular load of buckshot you are using...how much the shot disperses in that 15 to 30 foot range...and what happens when that load keeps going should you miss the intended target. I'm sure your neighbors will care... ;)

(BTW: Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds. Please do NOT use it for self defense.)

I agree with these statements. The link above is an awesome resource!

We have patterned some buckshot loads that could be called "precise". Some loads will scatter and cover more area, but bear in mind, as load seperates, the density of the load is lost and reliable stopping power with it. This is why birdshot isnt referred to as "reliable". At very close ranges it will certainly do some incredible damage, but at close range it retains the properties of the shotcup holding that 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. shot all together. At 10 yards there are 300+ very small pellets covering a 16 to 20" diameter area. (varying depending on a few factors)

Buckshot is more like 8 or 9 .30 caliber projectiles dense enough on their own to hit a target with lethal force, even in reduced recoil loads.

The "point and pull". I stronly advocate knowing how to sight across the top of the receiver to the bead and putting rounds on target. When you do your targets, the bead may be on target, but you may find the pattern appears a little low and left or whatever. Completely common. Thats why it so important to know how a given load patterns through your firearm. Once you choose a load that patterns acceptably for your needs, next start putting it on target, know where to "hold" the bead in relation to the bull to put the pattern where you want it! ;)

Be safe and have fun!!! and check out this video! Breaking clays at HD ranges with 00 buck! In many cases my daughter hits individual clays set within inches of other clays and only takes out the one she is aiming for!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-GFETWp5M[/youtube]

Wow, thank you for the warm welcome guys. Can't remember the last time anyone thanked me for serving my country. I was in the Navy as a photographer, from 1959 to 1981. 22 years.
I loved every minute of it. I had some great adventures and saw s**t I would have never seen on the streets of the Bronx. I will defiantly check out all the good advice you all gave me. I appreciate it very much.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'd have to agree with the guys,

It's a good idea to make sure you're hitting what you're aiming at, but even more important to know what ELSE you may hit. There is a ridiculous variety of loads out there, so finding the right one for HD is crucial. Practicing for consistent shot placement in a tight pattern will help to reduce the possibility of collateral damage to property or innocent bystanders.

As for foregrips, I've found a couple that I like...

The 590a1 on top is wearing a Magpul AFG and that's a Tapco Itrafuse Short Vertical Grip on the 590 Cruiser, both mounted on UTG tri-rail forends.
Hay lazy, that cruiser is the same one I have, less the UTG, have to get me one of them.

Buddy, Youre welcome. And we here sincerely appreciate it. There are still guys like us who appreciate guys like you! ;)

Rossignol said:
SHOOTER13 said:

I agree with these statements. The link above is an awesome resource!

We have patterned some buckshot loads that could be called "precise". Some loads will scatter and cover more area, but bear in mind, as load seperates, the density of the load is lost and reliable stopping power with it. This is why birdshot isnt referred to as "reliable". At very close ranges it will certainly do some incredible damage, but at close range it retains the properties of the shotcup holding that 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. shot all together. At 10 yards there are 300+ very small pellets covering a 16 to 20" diameter area. (varying depending on a few factors)

Buckshot is more like 8 or 9 .30 caliber projectiles dense enough on their own to hit a target with lethal force, even in reduced recoil loads.

The "point and pull". I stronly advocate knowing how to sight across the top of the receiver to the bead and putting rounds on target. When you do your targets, the bead may be on target, but you may find the pattern appears a little low and left or whatever. Completely common. Thats why it so important to know how a given load patterns through your firearm. Once you choose a load that patterns acceptably for your needs, next start putting it on target, know where to "hold" the bead in relation to the bull to put the pattern where you want it! ;)

Be safe and have fun!!! and check out this video! Breaking clays at HD ranges with 00 buck! In many cases my daughter hits individual clays set within inches of other clays and only takes out the one she is aiming for!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-GFETWp5M[/youtube]

Cool vid and great shooting. And advice. I think I'll get a bunch of different loads, go down to the local range, put some targets up at 10 yards, and check out the shot patterns. As you have suggested.
I want to do this right as my ass might depend on it some day.
Obtw, the shots I fired today were from the hip, I didn't think to put the gun up to look at the sight. Probably afraid of knocking my teeth out. :roll: :x i do still have all my teeth.

VTX said:
:roll: :x i do still have all my teeth.

:lol: I've lost a few do to injury! Keep em in there where they belong! :D

I had kinda figured you may be shooting from the hip, and theres another style you can use too. If you imagine there being a stock and tucking the stock under your arm with hand on the grip and finger on the guard, you can do the same thing with the pistol grip. I'll admit, shooting pistol grip only can take more practice and I havent aquired the technique. Dan shoots PGO a decent bit along with several others here.

Heres a pic of Massad Ayoob looking over the barrel, but the same position I mentioned. The pics arent mine and came from the links below.
Ayoob_looking_over_barrel_1.jpg

In the meantime, here are a few links which may be helpful with the technique!

Kentucky Carry
Kentucky Carry, PGO Shotgun Technique

Back