• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Guy - Bmore, MD - Got a HD question

tyme

Copper BB
Hi all. Been browsing through your site for a few days now and liking what I see. I've come across a lot of great ideas and fixes and figured I'd get involved. Got the 18" 500 with ATIs top folding stock and a blackhawk tactical sling. All around I love this shotty . Grew up skeet/trap/hunting and this gun has held her own right on par with my old 870 (hope I don't offend anyone with that :) through all of it. 11th place out of 100 at my first skeet competition with her and an 8 pointer on her first hunting trip.
With that... I'm looking for a little advice. I'm looking for some good lighting options, gonna keep this as my HD gun. Nothing is worth more than the family's safety and I want a build that I know will hold up and stay reliable. Surefire's forend/light combo seems like the best option out there, however I'm a bit hesitant to spend more on the forend/light combo then I did on the base gun itself. Anyone here drop the green on a surefire and how do u like it ?

Welcome aboard Sir,

Don't have any experience with HD lights on shotguns, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your questions. There's plenty of discussion on the subject in our Tactical and Home Defense and Mossberg 500 sub-forums. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your 500 set-up and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome from MI!!

Welcome aboard!

I was looking at one of those forends last week. They had it mounted on one of the shottys for sale. I did find it felt good in the hand and the switches were molded in nicely. Without actually having one on mine with the chance to really bang it around and se how it "worked", but I thought it seemed a solid product.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum tyme !!

Let's see a pic of that Mossy...

Hi and welcome to MO!!!

Yeah, we do have a decent bit of discussion on lights! You can look in the product review section for things like Coast and Elzetta, I think there is a Surefire review in there, and probably a Streamlight review of the TLR1 or TLR1-S... The TLR is a big favorite of many fols and it comes ready to mount on a picatinny rail. Many other options would require some sort of rail, either via a clamp on the magazine tube/barrel, or on the forend.

The Surefire you mention houses the light and it costs some coin. While I have little experience with them, I have yet to hear any negative except in some cases with regard to the bayonet lug of the 590A1.

You'll also need to make sure you have an action slide tube and not a newer styled "pinned" forend. If the forend is pinned, you would need to purchase the action slide tube before being able to use most if not all aftermarket forends. Most of the police/riot gun styled, corn-cob or ribbed forends use an action tube where the sporting styled forends (even the black synthetic ones used on "tac/HD" guns) are of the pinned variety. That may have to factor into your decision. FOr the Surefire forend, you would want the longer of the two action slide tubes if possible.

Personally, I use a mag tube clamp from CDM Gear, (the "MT" clamp) which has a short picatinny rail on one side and a QD push button sling swivel and dock on the other. Mounted to that are the Coast mount and TX40 light with momentary on and tailcap switch. The light is fixed in place and wont move as the action is cycled. There are reviews and lotsa pics!

Hope this is helpful to you!!!

Back