• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Guy from Ohio

Hello All,

New to the forum. I have been lurking around since I found the site a month or so ago. I also joined Shotgun World and I am amazed at the amount of information that these sites provide. I am a Police Captain in a smaller city here in Ohio and am a state certified firearms instructor for pistols, revolvers, rifles and yes shotguns! I enjoy shooting, hunting and other outdoor activities as well as working with leather although I am not anywhere near the level that Rossignol operates at. I also enjoy working on guns and am a certifed armorer for several makes. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I've got a Mossberg 500 that is a project gun and all of the parts that I ordered for it have arrived so maybe I can share my project with you. I look forward to taking part as time permits.

Take care,

Wolfgang

Welcome aboard!

We're glad to see you join up and are happy to have a member with your unique skill sets. We look forward to your contribution to the site. Check out our Mossberg 500 sub-forum, we'd love to see the progress on your project gun. Take a look through the rest of our various sub-forums and post up any other firearms you have. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your service. We appreciate all you do to keep us safe.

Enjoy the site!

Wolfgang! Welcome aboard man! We appreciate you bein out there on the front line! Where abouts in Ohio? I live in a small rural town about 40-45 miles north and east of Cincy. I commute to cincy for work.

What kind of leather work do you do? What do you like making? Do you do any tooling, I'm not very good with tooling... I can do it, but not as well as I'd like.

Cant wait to see that project 500!!! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! I appreciate your service and its great to have a member with your background as part of our growing community. Do you have any pictures of your leather work? I look forward to seeing some pictures of your Mossberg 500 project.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Rossignol, I work for the City of Upper Sandusky which is about 60 miles north of Columbus and is the new home to the Ithaca Gun Company. I live about 13 miles away near the small village of Forest. As far as leather work I have made a couple of knife sheaths and a few small holsters, one of which is for my little NAA Mini Revolver. I also made a butt cuff to hold some extra shells on my shotgun which is in my patrol car. I have a few pictures on my computer at home that I could try and post when I get a chance. I posted them on Shotgun World and a few guys said it looked ok. Like I said before it is nothing close to as nice as the things you are turning out. Sometime I would very much like to talk to you about the stuff you do and how you do it because looking at some of the pictures I start drooling! I started into it just to see if I could and I really find it relaxing. I have not ever even tried any sort of tooling and I am not sure if I could make anything look good if I did. If you would ever get the chance and want to talk about what you do and where you get your tools, leather etc. I would certainly be a good listener.

As for the Mossy 500 project I hope to start in on it this weekend since all the parts I wanted have arrived. It certainly will not be anything off the wall or completely "Tacti-cooled" out as I really don't go in for such things. Having been in this line of work and as an instructor, I see what works and what dosn't and generally less is more. Some of the things I see bolted onto guns really makes me wonder. This one was picked up for seventy five dollars and came with a rifled barrel and the normal screw in choked 28" job. Looks sort of rough but not terrible. I'll post my plans for it later in a new topic. Gotta go... Just caught a call.

Best,

Wolfgang

good afternoon mr officer. welcome to site, glad to have ya. many thanks to you for taking care of your city. what's the model of your 500? field or slugster? i like the looks of the field model. sleek.

i see you said you are an armorer for certain makes. i'm actually really thinking of gettin into a course for gunsmithing. i like to take things apart ,see how it works, and then put it back together.
i was looking into a couple of schools.
ashworth college. (online)
penn and foster in penn. (i'd have to go down there for some good hands on exp.)

any suggestions?

Rossignol,

Here is a picture of the butt cuff I made for my Savage model 350 that's in my cruiser.

Like I said, not nearly up to the standard of what you are putting out but hopfully I'll get better with time and more practice! :lol:

Wolfgang

Attachments

• HPIM3414.JPG
    HPIM3414.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 273
  • th_DSC_0810-1.jpg
    th_DSC_0810-1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 273
ripjack13 said:
good afternoon mr officer. welcome to site, glad to have ya. many thanks to you for taking care of your city. what's the model of your 500? field or slugster? i like the looks of the field model. sleek.

i see you said you are an armorer for certain makes. i'm actually really thinking of gettin into a course for gunsmithing. i like to take things apart ,see how it works, and then put it back together.
i was looking into a couple of schools.
ashworth college. (online)
penn and foster in penn. (i'd have to go down there for some good hands on exp.)

any suggestions?

ripjack,

Not really any suggestions as to a school. I would say if it is at all possible to attend one that you are with an instructor that provides hands on experience. The last formal course I had was with Ron Carter in an armorers course for the AR15 that was sponsored through Rock River Arms and Saber Defense. I learned a bunch about a rifle that I thought I knew. Now, given the correct tools, there is nothing that I can't repair/replace on one. Hands on is always best in my experience. The other things that I have learned through two friends that are gunsmiths and they were old school that studied under other gunsmiths. I always try to keep in mind that a true gunsmith is an artist in fabrication and is able to make parts from scratch if need be. I on the other hand am a parts changer that can do some fitting as well. Best thing I ever did was spending time in their shop and having them teach me some of the things they know.

Best,

Wolfgang

ripjack,

Not really any suggestions as to a school. I would say if it is at all possible to attend one that you are with an instructor that provides hands on experience. The last formal course I had was with Ron Carter in an armorers course for the AR15 that was sponsored through Rock River Arms and Saber Defense. I learned a bunch about a rifle that I thought I knew. Now, given the correct tools, there is nothing that I can't repair/replace on one. Hands on is always best in my experience. The other things that I have learned through two friends that are gunsmiths and they were old school that studied under other gunsmiths. I always try to keep in mind that a true gunsmith is an artist in fabrication and is able to make parts from scratch if need be. I on the other hand am a parts changer that can do some fitting as well. Best thing I ever did was spending time in their shop and having them teach me some of the things they know.

Best,

Wolfgang

hmm...i figured the online school wasn't worth it. i just to get some feedback. i like the hands on approach.
Tell me, and I’ll forget, Show me, and I’ll remember, Involve me, and I’ll understand

i'll see if colt and mossberg need some guy to clean up after their gunsmith...or better yet, if the guy teaches a class or one on one....

Back