• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Jersey Laws

mgrace88

Copper BB
I'm moving to New Jersey. I will be bringing my 590 with me. Am I legally allowed to possess the gun without an FID?

Further complicating things, I'm in a wedding in KS (where I"m currently licensed). I could go get a New Jersey license if necessary, however I want to bring my shotgun with me to a wedding in a few weeks for trap shooting prior to the wedding. Can anyone help me out with my legality/if I'm going to go to jail if I try and bring my shotgun to Newark Airport to fly with my gun?

Your best (safest) bet would be to get in touch with the New Jersey State Police or local PD where you'll be living in NJ. I know NY has a very strict no firearms policy in their airports, but not sure about NJ. Again, I'd go straight to the source and get in touch with a representative at Newark airport. I'm sure someone else here is from NJ and may comment, but if it were me I'd rely more on the folks that make the rules. Besides, policies change every once in a while and I'd hate for you to get advice based on outdated information...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You best (safest) bet would be to get in touch with the New Jersey State Police or local PD where you'll be living in NJ. I know NY has a very strict no firearms policy in their airports, but not sure about NJ. Again, I'd go straight to the source and get in touch with a representative at Newark airport. I'm sure someone else here is from NJ and may comment, but if it were me I'd rely more on the folks that make the rules. Besides, policies change every once in a while and I'd hate for you to get advice based on outdated information...

Yeah man, what he said! Possibly sherrifs office too, state police and local. LES also did a thread about traveling or shipping arms on a flight so he'd be able to tell you all about the approved locks and stuff!

Aside from that little bit, I wont try and offer advice here.

Yeah I've transported weapons as luggage before, but only because both airports I went through allow it. I called ahead of time and spoke with airport police and TSA agents at both locations to confirm the details and requirements.

Again some states DO NOT allow transport of weapons through their airports, so I would strongly suggest contacting a TSA agent at each airport you will be traveling through.

@mgrace88; I am retired NJ L.E. Any gun you legally owned out of state is OK here unless its on the NJ restricted list. (the 590 is OK) You can legally fly guns thru NJ as long as you follow TSA rules and declare all weapons. Apply for your FID as soon as you establish residency. The big barriers to an FID here are criminal convictions, mental health issues and domestic vioence convictions. It might be a whole lot simpler to not bring it in for the trap shoot, but it can be done. Direct contact wl the NJSP Firearms unit and having the written reply in hand when making the move is a good idea.

Back