• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New member from FL

Deviate

Copper BB
Hello all,

Recently purchased a used 590 12g w/ the extended mag. I hadn't owned a shotgun yet, and was initially going back and forth between the Rem 870 and the Moss 500, until I stumbled on the 590 at a show, and the price was right. Came with both a pistol grip and a regular stock, although I prefer the best of both worlds so I bought an ATI pistol grip stock today for $40.

I know the forends of the Mossbergs are a little loose compared to other manufacturers, but I've picked up a few others that feel a bit more snug and rattled a lot less than mine. It's just the factory forend, but is there any way that it can be tightened or 'snugged' up? I have yet to disassemble it, so I'm not sure. Can't really tell what exactly slides along the mag tube or makes contact. Or if it's something that just increases with usage/wear and if a replacement forend would help.

Thank you.

congrats on the 590! welcome to the club! see if you post up some pics. we love to drool over them here.

i have a 835 and mine is loose as well. i pretty sure that that's the way it's sposta be. i know rossignol (a member here) can tell you more about your 590 than i can. i'm sure he'll be chiming in soon.

also this area here will be of use to you as well.

viewforum.php?f=22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Congratulations on the Mossberg 590! As for the forends, they are generally loose but being that it is used it couldn't hurt to do a complete tear down, clean, inspect, lube and reassemble. If you need help tearing down your Mossberg 590 there are several threads that I can link for you.

Hi and how are ya! Yep, I love a 590!!! ;)

The 590/A1's are the mil version. Like combat pistols, loose is what keeps them workin when everything sux. That said, I'm reasonably certain there are more 500 Persuaders in service than 590's. Both get loose with age, use and wear. Due to the interchangability of many parts, (as Rip mentioned he has the 835, barrles are interchangable to 590 5 shot models, due to the mag tube cap, and vice versa) you'll see the same kind of "loosening". Its a common thing and I rather prefer it to anything else out there!!! Thats a synopsis anyhow... :D

Check out that 590 pic thread, browse some other threads, and you'll find more on the subject! Cya around and thanks for joinin MO! ;)

Welcome aboard!

You certainly have great taste in shotguns! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Thanks gentlemen.

No pictures yet, but it's just a plain-Jane 590 (non-A1) lightly used w/ the PG stock. Going to add a tactical light and it will be primarily kept within quick access for home defense, and an occasional trip to the range. I haven't field stripped it yet since it's already pretty clean, but I have read & watched the stripping procedure.

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon enough. :)

welcome and you will learn the gun forum unspoken rule no pics then it didnt happen

hahhahha anyway welcome and enjoy your new shotty

If its new, I highly recommend breaking it down and cleaning before firing as theres all sorts of grease in places that totally suck and will make the action feel sticky when powder residue starts getting in there!

If it used, it may be worth cleaning before firing just to make sure everything is properly oiled n stuff! ;)

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Deviate !!

Enjoy the site...and by all means post a few pics of your 590... :cool:

Back