• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New member from Greece

Hey everyone,

I just found this forum and I'm really pleased for that!!!
After a fast look, it seams to be a great place with lots of information!!!
I'm Kostas and live in Athens, Greece.
I'm a new owner of a Mossberg 590-A1, Blackwater Series and really love it!!! :D

Welcome from MI, USA!!

A huge American Welcome from Alabama!

Your country is one of the most marvelously beautiful places on the planet. I'm so jealous that you can view it every day. I've been there twice and I have travelled to more countries than I can even count. But Greece will be the next foreign destination stop again for me. The scenery, the weather, the beautiful people, the lifestyle, the food!!!!!!

Nice choice of shotgun, too! What kind of ammunition can you get for it and how cheap/expensive is it (if you do not mind me asking)? Was it difficult to acquire your American made shotgun?

Welcome aboard! I am curious about the questions asked by nitesite as well.

imagesCA8I2QE2.jpg

Hi Kostas! Welcome from St. Louis, Missouri - USA. So, what are gun laws like for citizens in Greece?? What is legal to own? Is concealed carry legal??

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank you for your warm welcome!

A huge American Welcome from Alabama!

Your country is one of the most marvelously beautiful places on the planet. I'm so jealous that you can view it every day. I've been there twice and I have travelled to more countries than I can even count. But Greece will be the next foreign destination stop again for me. The scenery, the weather, the beautiful people, the lifestyle, the food!!!!!!

Nice choice of shotgun, too! What kind of ammunition can you get for it and how cheap/expensive is it (if you do not mind me asking)? Was it difficult to acquire your American made shotgun?

Well, nitesite, here in Greece we are saying that we live in the most beautiful site of the planet... ;)
Maybe it is true but we just don't have the right and sensitive politicians to preserve it and promote our beauties!!!
Of course you see what is happening here these last years as we are in the first place when media are talking about crisis and blah blah blah but anyway, the scenery, the weather, the beautiful people, the lifestyle, the food will always be there and of course you are all welcome to check it out by yourselves!!!

As for the shotgun, yes I think it is a great choice and I really enjoy each time I'm going for shooting :D
Well, ammunition, you can find everything here, all kinds and makes but surely much more expensive that the prices you are paying!!!
For example, REMINGTON - EXPRESS BUCKSHOT 3" is about € 21 the 10 pieces box, REMINGTON - SLUGGER 3" is about € 12 the 5 pieces box, ROTTWEIL MAGNUM 52g is € 12 the 10 pieces box, for CLAY TARGET 24g, it is quite cheaper as €6 the 25 pieces box etc...

As for my shotgun's acquisition...it wasn't very difficult but for hunting purposes, just a doctor's paper that I'm mentally ok :D :D :D and a couple of days waiting for the license.

Hi Kostas! Welcome from St. Louis, Missouri - USA. So, what are gun laws like for citizens in Greece?? What is legal to own? Is concealed carry legal??

mingaa, actually the law for guns is quite strict in Greece!!!
First of all you can't own (legally) a rifle, only shotguns are allowed for hunting purposes or for shooting in shooting clubs.
As the hunting period is from August to end February, out of this you can only shoot in shooting clubs but hopefully there are quite a lot :D
For shotguns, there are some restrictions, such as, min barrel length: 20", overall min length: 39.5", the stock can't be collapsible or that can be folded so as not to alter the overall length.
So, pistol grips are not allowed...but I like my ATI pistol grip anyway... ;)
As for handguns, you can only own for competition shooting and you are just allowed to carry it from your home to the shooting club and it has to be transported in a locked case in the trunk of your car and the ammunition has to also be in a locked case inside the car!!!!!! :shock:
To buy a hand gun legally for competition, you have at least to be a member of a shooting club for 6 months and active in competition shooting once a month!!!
On the other hand, to carry a hand gun legally, it is almost impossible nowadays, especially in Athens, except you know the right person to speak to the right people.....and give you a 6 months license and then every 6 months to renew it (not always) and so on!!!
Of course all the above is just for legally own a gun and of course you can find whatever hand gun or shotgun or rifle you want.......but not legally!!!
Even scopes need a special license!!!

In southern Greece there is an island, a very beautiful one, Crete, these guys there, they are crazy with guns and they are said as "above gun laws", each guy owns 4 or 5 guns, legally or not.
Guns are just a daily accessory for them and they are also well known for their vendettas!!!

As you can see here we are not so free with guns but we manage to enjoy shooting whenever is possible...and it happens quite often ;)

Thanks again for your welcome guys!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Wow Kostas - the cost of ammo IS very high and the regulations sound quite strict. funny that it sounds like you can play the system in the big city but everyone else has to play by the rules. I love it that doctors are involved - a mental health 'okay' as part of the process. I've yet to visit Greece but do have some artist friends there and if I make it some day I will hope to visit one of the shooting clubs as well as enjoy the well known beauty of the islands, countryside and wonderful historical sights. I know that Athens is a cool city and it sounds like I'd better watch my a$$ if I ever go to Crete!!!~

Thanks for the international lesson! If you visit the States try and make some shooting dates with friends and contacts - there is plenty to enjoy in that regard!!

Welcome aboard and congrats on your 590A1!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your "A1" and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

mingaa said:
Wow Kostas - the cost of ammo IS very high and the regulations sound quite strict. funny that it sounds like you can play the system in the big city but everyone else has to play by the rules. I love it that doctors are involved - a mental health 'okay' as part of the process. I've yet to visit Greece but do have some artist friends there and if I make it some day I will hope to visit one of the shooting clubs as well as enjoy the well known beauty of the islands, countryside and wonderful historical sights. I know that Athens is a cool city and it sounds like I'd better watch my a$$ if I ever go to Crete!!!~

Thanks for the international lesson! If you visit the States try and make some shooting dates with friends and contacts - there is plenty to enjoy in that regard!!
It is not only the ammo cost that is high....I bought the blackwater € 900 because as they say it's a special edition while the normal 590A1 is about € 650!!!
Hopefully I'm dealing with China daily so I can get things cheap and easy ;)
The regulation is strict but hopefully we can manage bypass it in some cases!!!
Yes, the doctor part is good to be needed but you can easily bypass it...if you are not "ok" or if you don't want to bother...
You are always welcome if you decide to visit Greece, the shooting clubs will welcome you as well!!!
Even if they are not so big and organized as yours, it is always a pleasure to be there...
...Crete, they are known for their love for guns but they are also known for their hospitality, you will have great time there and really no need to worry and since you love guns......you will be a friend right away!!!
I'd love to visit the States and I will surely do it sooner or later and surely some shooting dates will be in my schedule!!!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard and congrats on your 590A1!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your "A1" and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!
Thanks for the welcome!
I will definitely post some pics soon...
Just from the first visit in the forum I realized that it is much more than just Mossberg...
Right now, I'm just diving in the huge information of the forum, sure my questions will be there sooner or later!

Thanks for the welcome!
I will definitely post some pics soon...
Just from the first visit in the forum I realized that it is much more than just Mossberg...
Right now, I'm just diving in the huge information of the forum, sure my questions will be there sooner or later!

It can be a bit overwhelming. ;) You start out on one subject and end up chasing down two or three others before you are done! The friendly atmosphere here helps a LOT when you want to learn about something.

Good to have you aboard. Your posts have already taught me some interesting information. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Hello Kostas!!! I'm really late getting here to welcome you, but welcome to Mossberg Owners none the less! I appreciate and enjoy you bein here! ;)

Very interesting reading about the gun laws and restrictions, but Crete sounds great!!! :D I'd love to see Grece someday!

Congratulations on a fine shotgun, I hope youre able to enjoy it often!!!

Welcome from Ohio, USA! ;)

Back