• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg 500

I have never owned a shotgun, but have owned plenty of other firearms, and being in the military, I have had the opportunity to shoot plenty of weapons that I will never have the opportunity to own personally. That being said, I ordered a Remington 870 Express Tactical last Wednesday from Bud's Gun Shop. Was playing around on their website yesterday (shotgun hadn't shipped yet) and changed my mind on the shotgun and ordered a Mossberg 500 (Mossberg 500SP 12g 18" 6SH CB PG TACT/54125 per the website). From what I have researched, it looks to be a Persuader/Cruiser with the pistol grip only. I am going to put a different stock on it (haven't decided on whether I want a full stock or a collapsible stock, but I definately want more than the pistol grip), and some sortof extra shell carrier, probably stock mounted, but possibly receiver mounted. I also want to change over to ghost ring sights with a fiber front site and put one of my surefire lights on it. And aside from a cheap sling that I will just grab from supply, that is about as far as I would like to go with it. Other than popping off as many rounds as I can as often as I can out at the range, the shotgun will be laying next to my bed and serve it's life solely as a middle of the night defensive gun. And as far as the range goes, I have just under 500 shells sitting at the house right now. A mixture of 00 buck, #7 1/2 birdshot and 1 oz slugs that got delivered yesterday standing ready to play their part in breaking the Mossberg in. Now that the introduction is over, I need some recommendations. If I go with the standard stock (which is what I'm leaning towards) what is the best option for carrying extra shells? Any particular brands to stay away from? Any particular styles to stay away from? I am going to be reading through this site, so I'm sure I will come across some information here and there, but I would like to order everything at once, seems to save on shipping a little bit. Until then, any information would be appreciated.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Thank you for serving our country! Congratulations on your new Mossberg 500. When your ready to get a stock let me know as I have tried and tested a bunch for the Mossberg 500 and have another 6 types being shipped to me at this moment. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=655 is a thread where I have compiled most of the current options available for the Mossberg 500. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=696 is a thread where I have compiled most of the current side saddle options available for the Mossberg 500. The ghost ring sights are great and you won't be disappointed with those on your Mossberg. If you are looking for a standard stock I would highly recommend the SpeedFeed I or the Hogue OverMolded™ Shotgun Stock 12" L.O.P. With the SpeedFeed I you have the ability to hold 4 shells in your stock which would bring you up to 10 rounds and if you add a side saddle your are at 15-16 total.

Thanks, I'll look into both threads. I've been reading a little bit on here, but with so many options, it's pretty difficult to go ahead and decide on one without fearing that you will regret it later, which just means that you will either spend more money, or wish you had something else.

Yea there are a lot of options available for the Mossberg 500 with a wide range in price as well. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help make your decision easier.

Welcome and congrats on the new 500!

I too sincerely appreciate your service. Check out the links above and let us know of you have any other questions.

...oh, and be sure to post up pics of that 500...

Enjoy the forum!

Buddy, we're happy to have you and are greatful for your service!!!

I too made a decision between the 870 and (for me) the 590A1. Hands down the Mossy. Had I gone with the 870, I am certain I'd still want another Mossberg. I have (and did have already) a Persuder/Cruiser 20" with both the stock and pistol grip, which is why I went with the 590A1 in this case.

I have had one of the Hogue short LOP stocks on loan and love it! I am purchasing 2 of them in here in another week or so. I do like the look of the Speedfeed with the extra 4 shells.

I have leather shell cuffs on mine right now, 6 shells for the standard LOP, but I'll get 4 shells on the Hogue short LOP.

Anyway, lots of info all over the place! We'll see ya around!!!

Brad.

Welcome and thanks for standing up for our freedom.
I'm too new to the Mossberg 500 to offer much here but a couple of comments. I bought the 50420 Persuader for 2 reasons: #1-less expensive than the Rem 870 for a shotgun with good reputation and I liked it better as I researched, #2-had more of the accessories (of the various Mossberg models) I wanted like collapsible/removable stock and side-saddle (I also installed a pic rail and looking for a heat shield).
I am glad I got the collapsible stock instead of just the pistol grip - feels better, adds more stability for me - and in the forward postion does not add much length to the gun.
I notice the side-saddle gleaming with shells out of my peripheral vision a bit since it's up by my cheek, so may have preferred the mount to be on the receiver - but the reload is obviously easier.
And I considered 5 rds vs 8 but then figured if I couldn't get the job done with 5+1, a couple of more wouldn't help a lot.
Otherwise, I'm tickled pink and fondly caress it regularly. :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome. A guy I work with has a Mossberg 835 with the regular synthetic stock who just so happens to want a pistol grip for his. From the reading that I have done, I believe my pistol grip will fit his, so we are going to try to swap them out on Saturday. If they fit, my decision for the stock is over, which is one less thing to figure out.

Here are a few pictures in it's current form.

Attachments

• DSC01018.JPG
    DSC01018.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC01021.JPG
    DSC01021.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC01026.JPG
    DSC01026.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 402
Nice man, real nice!!!

If the 835 doesnt fit, let me know, I have a standard LOP 500 stock off my Persuader I can do with out. I have the pistol grip on my Persuader for now, but its getting a Hogue 12" LOP soon, so either way it wont be missed. I still have another standard stock anyway ont the 590A1! :)

Rossignol said:
Nice man, real nice!!!

If the 835 doesnt fit, let me know, I have a standard LOP 500 stock off my Persuader I can do with out. I have the pistol grip on my Persuader for now, but its getting a Hogue 12" LOP soon, so either way it wont be missed. I still have another standard stock anyway ont the 590A1! :)

Alright. we have AFTP's today at 2, and he is supposed to be bringing the stock. I'll bring it home and see how it fits tonight, and if it doesn't fit, I'll get with you and see what we can work out.

Sure! Get a hold of me here via PM or hit me up on one of my emails!

So the 835 stock fit. I went and shot it yesterday up at Watershed in Norris, and it was a blast. Shot the 5906, the XDm and the shotgun and it couldn't have been a better day. The 500 felt really good, but now my shoulder is bruised, lol. When I got to Watershed, someone had left a Shoot N See target, so I figured I would put a few 9mm and .40s in it since it was there. After a magazine through each, I decided to put a 7 1/2 birdshot in it from about 15 yards. Dead center turned it from a black target with yellow spots to a yellow target with black spots. This makes me happy.

Back