• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new mossberg 590a1 and some questions

Thanks guys. I just got done building a target patterning board. All set to go.

I have a quick question. I apologize in advance because I feel it may be a stupid question but never really being in shotguns I know very little. I took my shotgun out of the safe and when I shouldered it I felt a little looseness in the front of the barrel. I simply forgot to tighten the mag cap down all the way. I tightened down as hard as I can with my fingers. I know the manual says to just use your fingers and not a wrench or something, so I just snugged it down good and tight by hand. Then grabbed the around the butt stock and the front of the barrel to make sure any "slop" was eliminated. There is not forward/backward movement at all but there is a slight side to side (rotational) movement. I can grab the barrel and the receiver and twist and it rotates very little. When I say slight I mean very slight. I can't think of a way to measure it because it is very small. Here is a picture of the barrel lock up ion the receiver. As you can see it it is very nicely fit in the receiver:

IMG_20120804_205535.jpg

My thinking is that it is more than likely normal since these cuts have to be wide enough to receive the barrel properly and cutting them to the exact size would be difficult. Everything locks up good with the bolt . Again sorry if this seems like a nit picky post. Not trying to be. I just want to make sure it is safe and normal. Thanks for the help and I will post some shots tomorrow night for you all to see and let you know what I think of the shotgun.

I dont think I've ever noticed any movement in mine. I dont have a 5 shot model and dont know there would be any difference though.

Man, I dunno for sure. It should be tight. Grab the lug/cap and really try and tighten it.

Maybe remove it first, reseat the barrel making sure the action is about half open/closed. Wiggle it and try and fully seat it, the put the cap back on and tighten down like your hand is a set of visegrips! Well, you know, as much as youre able to hand tighten.

well I reset it and tightened the cap down without my skirt on this time. It is nice and solid now. I had to really crank it down. It would be impossible to screw the threads up just by cranking it down by hand, right??

Thanks Rossignol for your help with all this. I appreciate the feedback.

Good deal! No problem man!

You wont hurt the threads doin it by hand.

Back