• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg International Gold Reserve Supersport 12G

MikeyAero

Copper BB
Recently purchased a Mossberg International Gold Reserve 12 g O/U for sporting clays. Curious to hear from other GR owners that have had their guns awhile. I'm shooting about 300 - 350 rounds a month for the last 3 months. So far have seen some visible rust on the receiver end of the barrels and major issues with rust on the chokes making it near impossible to remove them for cleaning.

Hi Mikey. Welcome to the forum from upstate New York. Climate is realitively easy here with only a month or so of hot and humid weather. Not sure what it’s like in your area.

I own a Mossberg Onyx Reserve. I purchased it many long years ago and it is still in rotation as my go to regulation sporting clays firearm of choice. There is a post on this forum somewhere with more details. I’ve had some firing pin issues that Mossy took care of but no finish or rust issues. I do keep the shotgun clean. Not after each and every use but certainly after 300 to 400 rounds.

A friend of mine purchased the new Turkish made Mossy O/U a year or so ago. I’ll ask him what his experience is.

Keep us informed and pics are always appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jmm. I look forward to hearing from your friend. I was able to get the chokes out, but unfortunately it took a pair of vicegrips and lots of WD40 to loosen them up. Once I got them out I cleaned up the relief bore with some scotchbrite and WD40 then cleaned the chokes the best I could using the same process. I put a heavy coat of choke lube on the chokes, bore and threads. Rest assured I will be checking them after every time I shoot. Interesting enough, my Beretta A300 Ultima bore/chokes never had a problem. I didn't take any pics but I will the next time I take them out (in a couple days).

By the way, I was born in Corona, Queens NY so I'm a fellow New Yorker who left in 2007, went to California for work and then transplanted to Pawleys Island, SC in 2009. Pawleys Island is the oldest seaside community in the country (1700's). It is beautiful here from late September through the first part of June but it will get hot and humid here come late June and stay that way through August and into September.

...but it will get hot and humid here come late June and stay that way through August and into September.

I don't know about Payleys Island but here in FL, the Atlantic barrier islands have a salty sea breeze that frequently blows over the islands. This leaves a coating of corrosive salt on ungaraged cars (for example) that rots them similar to road salt up north. You can visually see the difference comparing a car that came from Daytona Beach "beachside" to a car from Orlando.

While having your windows open in your house probably provides a nice cool breeze, it may be introducing salty air onto your firearms... :eek:

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

I don’t do clays but I do own three shotguns.

The one thing I noticed about most of the modern guns I bought was the disturbing lack of lubrication right from the factory. Also I found bits of metal shavings and grinding dust in some new actions. The inside of the tube magazines typically had some rust as well.

If you didn’t take that choke out and lube it when you first purchased the gun then I wouldn’t be mystified about the rust.

When I buy a gun (new or used) I always take it apart and check it all out, lube it , and put it back together before I ever shoot it.

I have.a Silver Reserve (Turkish)..I have had now issues with rust anywhere on the gun.I bought it to shoot trap and sporting..The only issue is the trigger is Not Good, causing a flinch while shooting trap..I haven't had it out for Sporting yet..just my 2c...

I don’t do clays but I do own three shotguns.

The one thing I noticed about most of the modern guns I bought was the disturbing lack of lubrication right from the factory. Also I found bits of metal shavings and grinding dust in some new actions. The inside of the tube magazines typically had some rust as well.

If you didn’t take that choke out and lube it when you first purchased the gun then I wouldn’t be mystified about the rust.

When I buy a gun (new or used) I always take it apart and check it all out, lube it , and put it back together before I ever shoot it.
Great advice CaddmamQ. The gun came in with the chokes already installed and I never thought to remove them before using the gun. I guess I assumed they were properly lubed but evidence shows they were probably installed bone dry.

I have.a Silver Reserve (Turkish)..I have had now issues with rust anywhere on the gun.I bought it to shoot trap and sporting..The only issue is the trigger is Not Good, causing a flinch while shooting trap..I haven't had it out for Sporting yet..just my 2c...
Thanks OHRockman.

Back