• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Mossberg Shell Not Cycling?

I bought a 590A1 a month or two ago and I finally took it to the range. The first shell cycled fine and it shot with a beautiful boom. But when I racked it back, the second shell wouldn't come out of the mag tube and into the receiver. I think I either pushed the shell in just to see if it would loosen up or I racked it back really hard to get it to come out. I didn't have problems the rest of the range time. Tonight while watching some Monday night Football, I cycled to get the first shell out. It came out fine and I pulled it out with my hands. Went through another cycle, and nothing came out. Same problem. What is wrong with this new beast? Does it need a break in or do I have a bad piece on the inside?

Notes:

1. I am using Federal and Winchester shells. Both had the problem.

2. I also changed my mag spring to a Wolff XP Mag spring.

when they say the cartridge stop is bent too much. Do they mean its bent to much towards the inside of the receiver or towards the outside? Sorry this is my first firearm and Im still learning.

LostBookOfEnki said:
when they say the cartridge stop is bent too much. Do they mean its bent to much towards the inside of the receiver or towards the outside? Sorry this is my first firearm and Im still learning.

Toward the inside of the receiver. As the action bar moves to acute the cartridge stop, it doesn't move far enough to let a shell pop into the lifter. A slight bend toward the outside of the receiver should do the trick, but there is a sweet spot... too much bend and you'll start getting double feeds. Hope this helps ;)

So Im still an i diot and lost so I decided to make a video showing what the problem is. I keep questioning because the thread said it's not supposed ride behind the stop and I feel min is not riding behind the stop. Although I could be wrong depending on how the shotgun is held. I also think that the mag tube is not screwed all the way in but im not sure on that either. Heres the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20TdtO7I4I4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Sorry we all missed this thread. From looking at your video and the shell not being pushed against the cartridge stop, I would say there is something wrong in the mag tube. Look and feel for a burr or something the shell is touching at the end of the tube.

Same problem I had with the shell interrupter not allowing the round to advance and rest on the cartridge stop. Time to call Mossberg.

Back