• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New owner. Ammo question

TDIBABY

Copper BB
Hi guys im a new owner i just bought the 715 a couple days ago. and i love it. but i haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Im having a hard time finding ammo in my area bc there seems to be a craze of people buying up every bit of ammunition right now. so i haven't had much luck finding regular 22lr ammo. but i did come across a box of 22lr bird shot ammo.. so i bought it bc it was all i can find. i haven't used it yet. and it was a box of 50 rounds. i started reading online about that ammo in other guns and people say it will mess up your barrel and that it will make it dirty and easy to jam. so im wondering is this true. Ive tried to search online and on youtube for someone using this type on our 715's but no luck so far. so im reaching out to you guys for some advice.

Welcome to the forums from Central PA! I don't know very much about the 715 however I know the Birdshot rounds tend to be a little less powerful and don't pack enough punch to completely cycle the action, which someone could misinterpret as a "jam". What I can see the lead birdshot doing to the barrel is leading it up and BAD. In my honest opinion (releasing myself and Mossberg Owners of any liability) I THINK it would be safe to shoot the birdshot through the barrel. Lead vs Steel tends to be a one sided fight. However, someone with a little more 22lr or 715 experience will certainly answer that question more accurately.

I hope some of what I said helps!

The birdshot/ratshot .22 loads ARE NOT recommended to be fired in semi-auto firearms.

You should check the manufacturerd website, but here is the note from CCI regarding their .22 Shotshell ammo...

Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions.
Note: Not intended to cycle in semi-automatic firearms.

They won't hurt you barrel, but will effectively turn your rifle into a single shot. Becasue of their odd shape, the rounds likely will not feed in your magazine to begin with. The muzzle velocity of most of these rounds are rated at 1000fps or under and without a solid bullet to build up back pressure in the barrel, your action likely will not cycle. You might end up having to pull each round from the chamber by hand...

i have some of the federal birdshot that i shoot out of my marlin model 60 and my 715t. both shoot fine. you do have to load one at a time into the chamber and sometimes when you pull the bolt back it will eject the spent casing but most of the time you have to use a knife or something to extract the casing yourself. as long as you clean the gun routinely it will not gunk it up.

That birdshot ammo won't damage anything on your rifle.

It might feed or extract or eject problematically, but if it goes bang you have nothing to worry about.

Things will get back to normal someday and you will be able to do the backstroke in .22LR ammo. Till then, it's a game of frustration. If you and I lived within 100 miles of each other I would just flat out give you some .22LR ammo.

Not sure about damage to the barrel but I can tell you up front you will be probably be disappointed in.22llr shotshells. The go bang but are pretty ineffective for much else. This is based on my personal experience and your mileage may vary. ;)

MikeD said:
Not sure about damage to the barrel but I can tell you up front you will be probably be disappointed in.22llr shotshells. The go bang but are pretty ineffective for much else. This is based on my personal experience and your mileage may vary. ;)

I use .22 snakeshot in a revolver only. Ok, if your within 8ft or so for that purpose. I've never had them feed reliably in a semi-auto, and the mfg.s will normally not recommend it right on the box.

Back