• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New To Forum & Question About My Mini 510

QB Too

.22LR
I just joined the forum because I picked up a new Mini 510 in .410 bore. There is a thread of two on issues of feeding from the magazine tube but I wanted to start a new one.

I cleaned/lubed my 510 and was testing the feeding of it (haven't been able to shoot it yet) using various brand 2 1/2" shells. Two things:

(1) the slide release lever sometimes does not fully come back to it's original position once pushed in and the slide is racked. In fact I could then rack the slide without pushing it in. I did find that by making sure the slide is totally forward then the slide release lever comes back to it's original position and locks the slide until I press it again. So I guess being a bit forceful is what it takes and this issue is probably resolved. I only mention it because there was a thread on this forum about that same problem.
(2) the main issue is the feeding. More often than not it will not load a round from the magazine tube. I'd say 80-90% of the time it won't load. I've tried 4 brands of ammo but they've all been 2 1/2" shells. I need it to reliably feed the 2 1/2" shells because I have a bunch of them. I'm not real familiar with the 510. I did watch all the videos I could find about disassembly and reassembly and as far as I can tell, all the parts are assembled correctly.

I REALLY like this shotgun so I guess I should first take it to a gunsmith to see what's wrong and then decide if it's cheaper for him to fix it or if it's cheaper to send it back to Mossberg?

I'm not new to firearms, just new to shotguns. I am proficient in field stripping all my handguns and ARs and changing out parts.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. By the way, GREAT FORUM.

Patricia

Update: I called my gunsmith and he is backed up for over 2 months so I then called Mossberg. They are going to send me prepaid FedEx shipping label as a courtesy and will fix the gun. I'm to enclose a letter as to what the problem is. I'll include the issue about shell's not feeding and also the slide release level not always returning to it's normal position.

I'll post the results once I get my mini 510 back.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum QB too !!

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I'm sure Mossberg will make it right !

Let us know how you make out...

So you're syaing that these issues are happening only when test cycling....

What happenes when you're firing the shotgun??? you don't need to depress the slide release after firing...

It sounds to me like you need to "break-in" the shotgun with 50 - 100 rounds of shells and then see what issues you're having... Cycling shells is good but does not alway produce the same results as actuall live firing....

Smitty

Mossberg said it would take several days to email the label to me so I'll go to the range and see what happens. Most of the time the first shell won't load but in that case I guess I can load one manually and then have three in the tube and see if they will load once I fire the first round?

Thanks

Still haven't been able to get to the range but I did remove the trigger assembly, centered one of the pins as someone suggested on another thread and reinstalled the assembly. The three tests that I've performed so far have all loaded and ejected the shells. I'll take it to the range tonight and see how it performs .

I do have one other question. The part that is the slide release lever looks like it's cracked in half.....I thought it was just the finish at first but now I'm not too sure. Could someone look at my pictures and let me know if it looks normal? It goes the entire length of the piece of metal top and bottom and on the button.

Mini510SlideReleaseLever.jpg

Botton of the button (hard to see but there is metal missing, again, may not matter)
IMAG0540Medium.jpg

If I don't have to send my shotgun back for feeding issues, I can send Mossberg the pictures and see what they have to say.

Thanks

Good luck...Just got one for the wife but not shot it yet...We'll take it out soon..neat little shotgun,can't wait till they make ext mag tube for it... :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! How did it go at the range tonight?

Mossbert responded to my email and asked that I ship the firing mechanism back to them and they mailed me a replacement. It slipped right in and I then took my mini to the range and it shot 100%........great little shotgun, I'm very pleased with it.

Back