• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to forum

FJT02

.22LR
Just wanted to say that I am new to the forum and will be picking up my first Mossberg shotgun on Wednesday. I ordered a model 500 field/security combo. I plan to use for skeet and bird hunting as well as home defense with the 18.5 inch barrel. I was concerned with buying a mossberg since I did not know much about them but after doing a lot of research on the web and talking to some people, they come highly recommended. I can't wait to take it to the range. I also own a Beretta 92FS 9 mm pistol. Looking forward to adding the Mossberg to my collection. I am assumming that I should clean it first before shooting it, since it is a new in box. Do I need to take it completely apart or can I just clean the barrel and outside with Hoppe's gun cleaner and oil all moving parts? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks. Frank

Welcome aboard!

Congrats on your excellent choice and great taste in firearms. I would recommend a full field strip, cleaning, and oiling before you take your new 500 out to fire. There can be a large amount of grease, grime, and sometimes packing debris in the action of new shotguns. A little TLC ahead of time will help ensure your first range experience is a good one.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post a pic of your new 500 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. We've even got a Beretta thread goin in our "Other Weapons" sub-forum and we'd love to see your 92fs. I've got few 92's myself. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Thank you for the warm welcome Lazy Eyed Sniper. I look forward to many more posts. Thanks for the advice on the full strip down and clean. I know how to strip down a Beretta 92FS but not real sure on how to strip down the mossberg 500 except for taking off the barrel. Can you recommend a post or site to show how to do this? Thanks.

Here's a pretty comprehensive video for disassembly of the 500/590/590a1...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRaCmWrxcgI&feature=related[/youtube]

...and reassembly...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-jYEBDlGcc&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

The first time may seem a bit daunting, but once you've broken it down a couple times you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed. We're always around if you have any questions once you get into it...

Great info! I'm sure you are right. I will attempt this as soon as I pick up the gun on Wednesday. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Welcome from MI!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Yeah what they said! And congratulations on the new gun!

Welcome to MO!

Thanks guys. I just learned that my new gun will be delayed another few days due to it being an "opened" package. Apparently, UPS will send any package that appears to be open back to the seller for them to inspect and re-ship. I should hopefully have it by Wednesday. I am kinda bummed since I was hoping to take it out this weekend and test it. Guess I will have to wait until next weekend!

Darnit man... I hate the waiting part, esecially when you know its on the way and then, its delayed .

Welcome from PA. I have a 590A1 with 18 1/2" barrel and love it. I'm also a fan of the Beretta. Enjoy them as they should make a competent team.

Back