• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to Mossberg

Kilrain

So, I've recently turned my hobby time back to firearms after an extended hiatus spending money on high performance autos, motorcycles, Jeeps, photography, etc. I suppose I like all things mechanical which means I usually take a beating on my "investment."

I've traditionally been a Remington guy, owning close to 10(?) or so, and am particularly fond of the 870. I built a nice 870 Marine Magnum in the late 90s after taking a shotgun instructor course from Bill Jeans. I carried that thing for many years at work and although I never fired it in the line of duty, it always worked when I needed it, mostly by sight alone.

My shotgun taste wandered to the Ithaca 37 and I owned several, later giving a couple of them away for Christmas presents. I still believe that no other pump gun is as slick as a well worn 37. I still have two and love them.

Then one day I said to myself, self, why don't you try a Mossberg, you've never owned one. My memory then wandered back to my summers in Oklahoma as a youth and shooting a family member's model 500. I remembered it being pretty "jinky" for lack of a better word. It worked, no doubt, but just seemed flimsy, cheap and downright funky. So I did some research and decided, based on all the good 590A1 reviews I'd seen, to give one a shot(HA!), since the worst that could happen was I'd sell it.

So I picked up my 590A1, stock #51663, brought it home and checked it out. Firstly, what the hell is up with the ridiculously long stock? Did they use NBA players as the standard for stock fitment? Secondly, although I know for a fact it has an aluminum receiver, I have a hard time believing it based on the weight and perceived rigidity of the gun. Thirdly, are these things (over)built in Russia cause they remind of Cold War era, extra heavy duty, behind the Iron Curtain style Soviet tanks. Stout is an apt term to describe a 590A1. My 870 Marine Magnum feels much more refined but almost dainty by comparison, which is hard to resolve based on the steel vs. aluminum receiver.

I was pleasantly surprised with the action itself. While it wasn't glass smooth, it wasn't bad and I reckon' it will be better after I detail strip this thing, clean it and properly lube it.

So there's my short Mossberg story. My initial inspection of the 590A1 says money well spent. Now I have to see how this pig will shoot............ :D

Howdy Kilrain and welcome to the club.
I have an Ithaca 37 as well. I love that thing! I just recently refinished it. Looks great.

Kilrain said:
My shotgun taste wandered to the Ithaca 37 and I owned several, later giving a couple of them away for Christmas presents. I still believe that no other pump gun is as slick as a well worn 37. I still have two and love them.

Have you checked out our Ithaca Owners Forum ?
http://www.ithacaowners.com/

Kilrain said:
So I picked up my 590A1, stock #51663, brought it home and checked it out. Firstly, what the hell is up with the ridiculously long stock? Did they use NBA players as the standard for stock fitment? Secondly, although I know for a fact it has an aluminum receiver, I have a hard time believing it based on the weight and perceived rigidity of the gun. Thirdly, are these things (over)built in Russia cause they remind of Cold War era, extra heavy duty, behind the Iron Curtain style Soviet tanks. Stout is an apt term to describe a 590A1. My 870 Marine Magnum feels much more refined but almost dainty by comparison, which is hard to resolve based on the steel vs. aluminum receiver.

I was pleasantly surprised with the action itself. While it wasn't glass smooth, it wasn't bad and I reckon' it will be better after I detail strip this thing, clean it and properly lube it.

As for the sizing... :lol: I have no clue who test fit guy/ape was....

"extra heavy duty" is what is going to keep that boom stick going strong long after we both leave this world...and if you have kids, they'll love it too....

Glad to have ya here, and look forward to seein more of ya and those "pigs"... :D

Welcome from MI!!

Welcome aboard!

I have the exact same model you picked up and absolutely love it. As far as its stout build, the "a1" was originally comissioned to meet the material spec requirements of D.O.D. article 3443G. The heavy walled barrel was added at the request of the Dept. of the Navy for use in ships where frequent contact between standard barrels and a ship's bulkheads did not typically end well for the firearm.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your new 590a1 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Man, what a well-written introduction! I feel like I already know you!

That 590A1 is going to give you a lot of great service life and I have never heard of anything breaking on one.

Welcome to a really fun forum on which to discuss topics that are really all over the map!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Sounds like we have a lot in common with your past hobbies!

I agree with NiteSite, Good to meet you and have you here on MO!!! Thank you for your service buddy!

Kilrain said:
Firstly, what the hell is up with the ridiculously long stock? Did they use NBA players as the standard for stock fitment?

I couldnt agree more, I've always said its rediculously long at somethin like 14 3/8", I like the way you put it!

Yeah they are heavy firearms, I love it! You can absolutely beat them, I have literally dragged mine through the field by the leash thingy! I've also just dropped it (alot) cuz I needed my hands and its gone all hunting season long without bein cleaned. I'm talkin upland game in the winter. Rain, mud, grass, we hiked through a 10 acre marsh once too.

The action was disapointingly sticky on mine too when it was fresh out of the box. Got it cleaned and oiled which helped, but lotsa shootin has really been the trick! Now its the kinda slick where the action nearly cycles itself if I fire without my hand on the forend.

Buddy, I think youll love it! :D

Back