• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New vs. Old 590's

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I haven't been here very long, but it seems to me that judging from the posts here, that newer 590's have an awful lot of problems compared to the older 590's. Mine is a '89 Mariner that I bought just a couple months ago, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. Was there some kind of design change that made them less reliable?

i'll probably hear some flack but what i've been reading,quality control is a big part of it,,,,,,,the product itself is great,,,,,,,,,needs some work at the end bench,,,, ;) just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• poor quality control.jpg
    poor quality control.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 316
sorry to say but i see it alot in all fields lately.,,,,,,,,,lack of.

Attachments

• 2011-07-10-pursuit-of-excellence-960x332.jpg
    2011-07-10-pursuit-of-excellence-960x332.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 313
Old mossy is right. As of lately Q.C. Is lacking. I have 3 590a1 all under three years old and have been great other than one weak mag tube spring, my other 500 have been perfect but its from the 70's.

i remember in the late '70's they did a consumer study and found that cars made on a monday had alot more problems. :)

I worked 25 years in manufacturing and we use to tell sales: quality, price and delivery, pick any two. Price is such a driving factor now that things are short cut to get there after all the other waste is removed. We sold to automotive and they wanted a 5% price reduction each year of a contract we had to produce. When was the last time you saw a 5% price decrease from one model year to the next? Where does that money go...into corporate and union pockets.

I toured an auto assembly plant and the tour guide was a retiree, He said that was true but it included cars made Friday afternoon and Monday morning. Guys would get drunk and high at Friday lunch and make garbage.

I dont think that the demand for guns since 2007 has helped quality at any gun maker. I bought a new Ruger bolt action in .308 and it won't chamber 1/2 the ammo I have tried. I'm waiting to hear back on what they will do. It's all over the place. Remington doesn't have the name they use to either.

From what I've seen lately most of the 590 issues have been resulting from out of spec. shell stops or cartridge interruptors.

This issue has not been limited to the 590 either as we've seen it accross several models including the 500 and Mav88. The likelihood that Mossberg farms out production of small parts to other companies is VERY high and I would put money on them receiving a bad batch of parts from one of their contract manufacturers. These parts are produced and purchased in bulk, and there's no telling how many were installed and shipped before the caught the issue.

This doesn't excuse the lack of QC that let them out the factory door, but it would explain why we're seeing so many of these issues presenting at one time...

i'd love to take a tour of one of their factories some day. :)

Tony617! said:
KentuckyWindage said:
Old mossy is right. As of lately Q.C. Is lacking. I have 3 590a1 all under three years old and have been great other than one weak mag tube spring, my other 500 have been perfect but its from the 70's.

A weak magazine spring can be fixed with a Wolff Shotgun Magazine spring:

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=2&mID=103
I 100% agree all of my mossbergs have been replaced with Wolff mag springs, they are my go to spring

oldzy said:
What would be considered an 'old' year? Mine was made in 1997.

not really the year oldzy,,,,i say as long as it's working good really dosen't matter.

Back