• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New! x3

muller27x

Copper BB
Hello all. I am a newbie:
to the forums
to the 510 Mini 20g
and to shotguns

I bought my first shotgun the other day, the 510 in 20g. Being new to shotguns, I have a few questions about them in general and specific to the 510.
Are there particular brands/loads this gun prefers?
Are rifled slugs ok to put through this gun? Any prep to use them?
I saw that 500 stocks fit, but is there a compatible forend?
What is the best HD load?

I was kind of disappointed that there wasn't a specific manual and all they give you is a broad generic manual that doesn't even mention the 510.

Anywho, thanks for any possible information!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from Central PA!
Congratz on your new purchase!

Too find out which loads your gun shoots best, you are going to have to shoot some different brands and loads, at a measured distance and see the pattern. Each gun will shoot each brand and load differently.

Presuming that your 510 has a smooth bore (NO RIFLING) and the choke is not more restrictive than Modified, yes it is absolutely safe to shoot "Rifled" slugs like Remington Sluggers and Winchester Super X. Brenneke USA makes a really nice K.O. Slug that yields good results in 20ga and 12ga alike. No preparation will be needed too shoot them. Load up and have a BLAST!

Now I would like to add a side note here... Your choke may be more restrictive than Modified to shoot Foster/Brenneke Style slugs but is commonly not recommended. The "rifling" on the slug is actually a ribbed design to allow the slug to deform as it passes through a choke.

A Compatible forend would be anything that fits 20ga... no 12ga forend too my knowledge will fit your slide assembly. Also the "BEST" HD Ammo is arguable.. we each have our own personal opinion on what too use and when..

Back