• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newbie Checking In

Still trying to get the safety off without having to take a hammer and screwdriver to it.

I know it's only been a few days, but if anybody has any ideas or know-how, send them my way!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Take the trigger assembly out of the gun, see if there is a small (very small) adjustment Allen screw on top of the trigger. by turning it, it adjusts the trigger pull required to fire as well as the height the safety sits at. I forget which way adjusts it up or down, but see if you can adjust the safety all the way down... Try it and see if it works then... Adjust up until the safety still catches and does NOT allow the trigger to go off with a hair pull. If this gun is brand new it sounds like someone tinkered with it prior to you getting it. Also make sure the safety latch on the trigger housing faces the right way. Tapered end towards the stock...
y5uryja4.jpg

Archametes said:
Take the trigger assembly out of the gun, see if there is a small (very small) adjustment Allen screw on top of the trigger. by turning it, it adjusts the trigger pull required to fire as well as the height the safety sits at. I forget which way adjusts it up or down, but see if you can adjust the safety all the way down... Try it and see if it works then... Adjust up until the safety still catches and does NOT allow the trigger to go off with a hair pull. If this gun is brand new it sounds like someone tinkered with it prior to you getting it. Also make sure the safety latch on the trigger housing faces the right way. Tapered end towards the stock...
y5uryja4.jpg

:shock:

I hope I don't have to tear it apart that much right out of the box.

I was with the sales guy when he cut the tape on the box and opened it for the first time - it didn't appear to have been tampered with at all.

I may go up there today and just mention it and see if they have any suggestions.

If necessary, I'll definitely follow the steps you outlined! Thanks very much for the help and pic!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Not a problem. It just may not have been adjusted to spec from Mossberg. It's quite easy to do physically, just not as easy to explain in text without a lot more pics lol.

Archametes said:
Not a problem. It just may not have been adjusted to spec from Mossberg. It's quite easy to do physically, just not as easy to explain in text without a lot more pics lol.

I completely understand! Thanks again for clarifying and posting up the recommendation. I know more now than I did before posting and that's what matters!

Cheers,

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Called Mossberg - will be sending it to them for them to do a full inspection.

I looked at the box again and the tape the salesman cut while I was there in front of him was the factory tape - no other tape on the box. It appears it came this way from the factory.

The guy I spoke with at Mossberg said they will do a full inspection of the gun and make sure every piece is tuned back to factory specs.

All I'm out is the shipping on the gun there. Said it will take 15-21 working days from the time they receive it. Sucks that I will be without it for so long, but makes me feel better than an actual Mossberg tech will be looking it over for me.

I'll post back up when I get their findings.

Thanks for all the advice!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Thanks for the update and keep us updated on how it turns out.

DHonovich said:
Thanks for the update and keep us updated on how it turns out.

I appreciate you following the issue.

I will definitely post back up with the results!

Cheers,

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Well, I was a few weeks late shipping my 590 back to Mossberg due to work consuming me.

I finally got it shipped off the last week in June and got word from Mossberg yesterday on the cause of the issue.

I spoke with the tech that worked on the gun and he said it looked like whoever assembled the "safety block" used the wrong type of glue/Loctite and it was seized. He replaced just about everything in the mechanism and reassembled it. He also checked over the trigger assembly and other critical parts to ensure they were in perfect working order.

The gun was shipped back out to me yesterday and I will be calling today to get tracking info.

Overall, fairly pleased with Mossberg. Took them quite a while to get the gun fixed and back out to me, but the fact that the experts looked it over and said everything else looked good, and that the gun had not been used before, makes me comfortable enough to hold onto it.

Thanks to all those that have been following and to those that gave me advice when I initially reported the issue.

Fink
Headbanger_1-M.gif

Good to see they're get'n it sorted out for you!

We're lookin forward to news of your successful range trip...

Well, got the gun back and like a kid on Christmas, tore into the box...

Didn't even look it over and went right to disengage the safety and noticed an issue. Safety wouldn't fully disengage. Reengaged it and went to rack it...forend only went down about 1-2" and got stuck. Did it a few times to see if it was just working out the kinks and sure enough, something was wrong.

Did some looking and noticed a "pin" on the left side was still pressed inside the gun and was moving every time I went to manipulate the safety. Needless to say...my heart rate went up as anger mounted.

Put the gun down, finished out the day working from home and went back to it with a more sound mind a few hours later. After looking at it and doing some research, looked like one of the elevators was out of place, preventing the forend from getting the full throw. Took out the trigger assembly, put the elevator back in place, reinstalled the trigger assembly and sure enough, works like a charm.

In the end...I now have a functioning 590. Am I thrilled with my first experience with Mossberg? Not quite.

Won't have time to hit the range this weekend, but I need to get some cheap slugs anyway so I'm hoping to hit it next weekend with both my Sig P229 and the 590. We shall see how it goes.

Anyway...consider this chapter of my new 590 closed. As long as it cycles cleanly and doesn't give me any fits at the range, I'll consider it my official home defense gun. :D

Thanks again for following!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Wow, I know your heart must have sunk into your stomach.

Good to see that it was only a misalignment and that everything seems to be functioning correctly now. I'm certainly lookin forward to your range report...

Hey there Fink, and welcome. I was born and raised in Orlando (Boone HS, '84). Sorry to hear about your troubles with the new A1, hope you got em all ironed out now. Lookin' forward to your range report.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Wow, I know your heart must have sunk into your stomach.

Good to see that it was only a misalignment and that everything seems to be functioning correctly now. I'm certainly lookin forward to your range report...

It certainly did.

If nothing else, it at least forced me to get to know the gun a little more.

I'll definitely post up as soon as I hit the range with it.

kwizzer said:
Hey there Fink, and welcome. I was born and raised in Orlando (Boone HS, '84). Sorry to hear about your troubles with the new A1, hope you got em all ironed out now. Lookin' forward to your range report.

Nice! I'm relocated here for a job in 2010 and have loved it so far. The humidity sucks, but other than that, it's great. Nice having the beach so close, too.

Considering I've had it since April and haven't been able to even load a shell into it until yesterday, I'd say I'm ahead of where I was a few months ago! ;)

Thanks for following!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Back