• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newbie from McKinney Texas ( North Dallas)

ZED

Hi All,

I was just at the DFW gun show looking for my first shotgun. I am 100% on the Mossberg versus Remington. I am a LTC guy and have had handguns and rifles about 15 years.

I saw a nice 500 series with a streamlight , pistol grip with adjustable stock and side saddle shell holder all for $799. Thoughts??

Nice to be here.

I would SERIOUSLY avoid the FLEX Stock Idea.

It works.... until it doesn't. Or until Mossberg ultimately discontinues it.

The fewer gimmicks on my guns, the better (good accessories are not gimmicks).

How much can you get a 590 (not an A1, a 590 Special Purpose) 8+1 for?

Like this one. Should be well under $600

Skipping the M-LOC feature lowers the cost even more. Look around HERE <link> for other choices not just the one shown below

Reactions: ZED
I would SERIOUSLY avoid the FLEX Stock Idea.

It works.... until it doesn't. Or until Mossberg ultimately discontinues it.

The fewer gimmicks on my guns, the better (good accessories are not gimmicks).

How much can you get a 590 (not an A1, a 590 Special Purpose) 8+1 for?

Like this one. Should be well under $600

Skipping the M-LOC feature lowers the cost even more. Look around HERE <link> for other choices not just the one shown below

Is this what you would recommend??

Zed, first and foremost welcome to the forum.

No matter which model you choose, a 500 or a 590 I'd recommend you purchase a baseline model and depending on your intended use - hunting, home defense, target shooting, etc. then outfit it with specific accesories to fit your need like a flashlight, shot card, sling or big front sight.

The other thing to remember is the weight. If you plan on carrying it for any length of time I'd look toward a 500 or plain 590 vice a heavy barrel 590A1. Plus all these accessories the dealers add increases the weight -- weight you must tote and weight that impacts your movement, the gun's balance and ability to point.

Finally, pay attention to your LOP. Many folks find that the factory LOP is too long and does not fit them thus impeding their ability to move especially in a HD situation.

I'd agree with nitesite on not recommending the Flex stock.

Regards

Zed, first and foremost welcome to the forum.

No matter which model you choose, a 500 or a 590 I'd recommend you purchase a baseline model and depending on your intended use - hunting, home defense, target shooting, etc. then outfit it with specific accesories to fit your need like a flashlight, shot card, sling or big front sight.

The other thing to remember is the weight. If you plan on carrying it for any length of time I'd look toward a 500 or plain 590 vice a heavy barrel 590A1. Plus all these accessories the dealers add increases the weight -- weight you must tote and weight that impacts your movement, the gun's balance and ability to point.

Finally, pay attention to your LOP. Many folks find that the factory LOP is too long and does not fit them thus impeding their ability to move especially in a HD situation.

I'd agree with nitesite on not recommending the Flex stock.

Regards
Thank you for the info and the welcome.

I will not add it .

Please share what 3 accessories you would mount to your shotgun. I am like a kid in a candy store...LOL.

Mostly home defense.

Thanks again for the advice.

ZED,
My $0.02. There is only one IMHO for home D. A good flashlight with a mount that fits your body and mounting style (technically that’s 2). The third is changing the factory safety selector to something with a little more “grip”. Tied for last would be an upgraded magazine follower or an MCARBO trigger spring kit. That’s it, that’s all you need.

Zed, for home defense you can use either an 18.5 inch barrel or a 20 inch barrel. This to me is personal choice plus depends on you house and room layout. There is a single shot magazine difference.

Here's my list of things for home defense:

1. Flashlight with a tail switch. Some like multi mode but some like a single mode lights. If you have a multimode light I'd find the lowest setting that gives you good minimum visibility.

2. Ability to store extra ammo on the shotgun. There are two choices - a fixed carrier or velcro backed shot cards (ESSTAC IMO the best). Shot cards are easy to carry spares and simple to tear off and reattach a full one.

3. A front ball sight which you can see in all light conditions. Some of us paint them while other replace the factory one with a larger ball. I'd first try the factory one and if you're having trouble seeing it paint it a high vis color. If that doesn't work there are several direct replacements that simply screw in once the old one is removed.

4. Rear stock - This is an individual fit but many of us have replaced the stock with a 12 inch LOP one. Allow easier movement in close quarters. Several manufactues but Hogue makes a nice one.

5. Sling - maybe yes or maybe no for srtictly HD. But a two point is the best IMO

Hope this helps

Regards

Last edited:
ZED,
My $0.02. There is only one IMHO for home D. A good flashlight with a mount that fits your body and mounting style (technically that’s 2). The third is changing the factory safety selector to something with a little more “grip”. Tied for last would be an upgraded magazine follower or an MCARBO trigger spring kit. That’s it, that’s all you need.
I have the spring kit saved. I like the streamlight all in one. Is this the selector you are talking about??

Thanks for the suggestions.

Zed, for home defense you can use either an 18.5 inch barrel or a 20 inch barrel. This to me is personal choice plus depends on you house and room layout. There is a single shot magazine difference.

Here's my list of things for home defense:

1. Flashlight with a tail switch. Some like multi mode but some like a single mode lights. If you have a multimode light I'd find the lowest setting that gaves you good minimum visibility.

2. Ability to store extra ammo on the shotgun. There are two choices - a fixed carrier or velcro backed shot cards (ESSTAC IMO the best). Shot cards are easy to carry spares and simple to tear off and reattach a full one.

3. A front ball sight which you can see in all light conditions. Some of us paint them while other replace the factory one with a larger ball. I'd first try the factory one and if you're having trouble seeing it paint it a high vis color. If that doesn't work there are several direct replacements that simply screw in once the old one is removed.

4. Rear stock - This is an individual fit but many of us have replaced the stock with a 12 inch LOP one. Allow easier movement in close quarters. Several manufactues but Hogue makes a nice one.

5. Sling - maybe yes or maybe no for srtictly HD. But a two point is the best IMO

Hope this helps

Regards
Wow....thanks guys for all the tips.

Flashlight - Good to go.

I looked up the velcro shot cards...looks so easy. I was going to get a fixed one. Good suggestion. https://skdtac.com/esstac-shotgun-card/

Is this the rear stock you are talking about? https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Mossberg-Overrubber-Shotgun-Forend/dp/B001I11TAA

Hows this for a sling and extra ammo. LOL https://www.amazon.com/Mossberg-Shotgun-Sling-Holds-Shells/dp/B00CNMNP2S

So many options..

Once again...than you ALL for the input.

Zed, regarding the Hogue stock and forend. That's the type I'd recommend and it has an excellent grip feel and works well in wet weather.

Those ESSTAC shot cards work well and the seven round ones fit the 500/590 perfectly. There are some cheap copies on the web but they don't hold up. Some of mine are 8-10 years old and stay loaded all the time and still function well. You will tend to load shells brass down for speed reloading and with the cheap ones the shells will fall out. One hint - get a piece of 3M high strength velcro to put on your gun receiver. Lots of the cheap velcro stuff out there that just doesn't hold up. Think they call it 3M Industrial stength. I typically carry 3-4 extra loaded shot cards. They fit in your pants or coat pocket or in AR mag holders on your belt.

I think most of the folks here will not recommend a sling with built in shell holders. First, they are heavy when loaded and impact the balance of the gun both initially and change the balance as you use the shells. They also hinder the pointing ability. If you want a sling get a plain adjustable two point one. There are lots of good brands folks will recommend but think the best way to choose one is to go to a sporting goods / gun store and take a look at all the offerings. To me there are two important attributes -- a sling strap width that's confortable to your shoulder and has a one hand ease of adjustment mechanism that stays in place when you adjust it. Focus on buying a good sling not some manufactures logo.

Question for you.

I know what LTC means to me but could you explain your use and meaning (reference your initial post)?

Regards

Last edited:
Zed, regarding the Hogue stock and forend. That's the type I'd recommend and it has an excellent grip feel and works well in wet weather.

Those ESSTAC shot cards work well and the seven round ones fit the 500/590 perfectly. There are some cheap copies on the web but they don't hold up. Some of mine are 8-10 years old and stay loaded all the time and still function well. You will tend to load shells brass down for speed reloading and with the cheap ones the shells will fall out. One hint - get a piece of 3M high strength velcro to put on your gun receiver. Lots of the cheap velcro stuff out there that just doesn't hold up. Think they call it 3M Industrial stength. I typically carry 3-4 extra loaded shot cards. They fit in your pants or coat pocket or in AR mag holders on your belt.

I think most of the folks here will not recommend a sling with built in shell holders. First, they are heavy when loaded and impact the balance of the gun both initially and change the balance as you use the shells. They also hinder the pointing ability. If you want a sling get a plain adjustable two point one. There are lots of good brands folks will recommend but think the best way to choose one is to go to a sporting goods / gun store and take a look at all the offerings. To me there are two important attributes -- a sling strap width that's confortable to your shoulder and has a one hand ease of adjustment mechanism that stays in place when you adjust it. Focus on buying a good sling not some manufactures logo.

Question for you.

I know what LTC means to me but could you explain your use and meaning (reference your initial post)?

Regards
License to Carry.

I will go visit a few stores to finalize all my options on some of the accessories.

So to recap all the wonderful advice is as follows. I think I am on the right path thanks to you guys.

Hogue stock
Streamline light -https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/tl-racker
Good sling no ammo. No need for all the extra weight .
ESSTAC shot cards x 3-4
MCARBO spring kit.
Safety Selector switch upgrade- Any company you suggest???

and finally as the main item.

How's all that look ??

Zed, looks like a good choice of a gun.

While many folks change out the safety for ergononics, there really isn't anything wrong with the durability of the stock Mossberg safety. The stock trigger group and safety on the 500 and 590 has lasted for decades on thousand of guns. I'd try the one that comes on the gun to see how you like it first. This is a totally different discussion but most folks that use these for home defense run the weapon in a cruiser ready configuration and never use the safety in the engaged position.

The other decision point down the road is whether you want to use mini shells. There is several threads on here discussing the attributes of them and some swear by them while others totally shun them. It's really personal choice. If I were you I'd run several hundred rounds of low and high brass standard shells in a variety of birdshot, buckshot and slugs through the new gun to break it in and then decide is you want something else. The mini shells will add capacity and reduce recoil but at a cost compared to normal shotshells.

One upfront hint is to field strip the new gun before taking the first shot and clean it very well. You will typically find some manufacturing debris in it and you want to also check for sharp edges. Then finally lube it and dry cycle the gun a hundred times to break in the action. Then go have fun!

Whatever model you finally buy I'd start with the stock gun and give it a good break in period before I'd started adding things. Then as you add things you can test each one to your liking. Even something a simple as mounting a flashlight may take some trial and error to get the exact location that fits your needs and ability to work the tail switch with your thumb. A half inch forward or backward may make all the difference.

Good luck and please post some pictures of your new gun and let us know how she preforms.

Regards

Back