• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NY Assault weapon question........

Phonetech.007

Copper BB
Hey guys! New to the forum and new to Mossbergs. I have a 590A1 and was wondering if it is considered an assault weapon. It is the 8 shot model, no pistol grip. Completely stock w/ speedfeed. I was trying to read the bill online and could not decipher all the B.S in it. It was obvious whoever wrote it did not ever handle a firearm. ( Just my 2 cents!) Thanks for any info!

Firstly, welcome to MO!

Secondly, and to your point.
I agree, they seem to have no firearm experience at all, however, I don't believe its relevant for the talking points they spew. Control is at the root of their efforts, not the reduction of violent crime where firearms are concerned.

If I understand correctly, "a shotgun with a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds" means your traditional stock 590 is considered an assault weapon.

Give em hell, they deserve nothing less

We're all in it together

,,,,,,so this means i need to put a dowel in my 7+1 500 ?
,,,,change the mag tube ?
,,,,,promise i'll only put in 5 shells ?

old mossy said:
,,,,,,so this means i need to put a dowel in my 7+1 500 ?
,,,,change the mag tube ?
,,,,,promise i'll only put in 5 shells ?

The text said something about no magazine that could easily or readily converted or reverted back to a larger capacity.

As much as we vary, becoming criminals overnight will surely bind us. You know, cuz we can't all be Irish.

Rossignol said:
As much as we vary, becoming criminals overnight will surely bind us. You know, cuz we can't all be Irish.

amen brother. all kidding aside,,,this mutt cumo is looking at 2016 for the prez. his father was a chit when gov and the apple dosent fall far from the tree. they are the big ny democrat machine.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
old mossy said:
Go raibh míle maith agat! (many thanks)

Mo chara! Slainte agus saol chugat...

,,,and to you also my friend. :)

back in '65 we had 2 irish guys in intel. they would speak in gaelic and make them crazy. :lol:

Rossignol said:
Do you guys use google translator or somethin?

Nah, my Pop made sure I knew a few basics.

old mossy said:
back in '65 we had 2 irish guys in intel. they would speak in gaelic and make them crazy. :lol:

That's awesome!

Reminds me of the Navajo code talkers...

Reminds me of the Navajo code talkers...[/quote]

lol,,,that was in MY dads time '42. :)

Rossignol said:
Firstly, welcome to MO!

Secondly, and to your point.
I agree, they seem to have no firearm experience at all, however, I don't believe its relevant for the talking points they spew. Control is at the root of their efforts, not the reduction of violent crime where firearms are concerned.

If I understand correctly, "a shotgun with a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds" means your traditional stock 590 is considered an assault weapon.

I am having insomnia tonight. Check this out......Does this mean pumps/ bolts/ single shots are exempt? (Paragraph 18 ) Link: http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?de ... o=Y&Text=Y

(e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, 27 shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or 28 slide action; (B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (C) is an 29 antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); 30 (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine 31 that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; 32 (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds 33 of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; 34 (iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, 35 specified in Appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was 36 manufactured on October first, nineteen hundred ninety-three. The mere 37 fact that a weapon is not listed in Appendix A shall not be construed to 38 mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or 39 (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic 40 pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivi- 41 sion lawfully possessed prior to September fourteenth, nineteen hundred 42 ninety-four.]

Back