• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

NY website wants Kentucky gun owners' names and addresses

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
More Freedom of Information abuses.

From my local news tonight:

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines ... 99591.html

NY website wants Kentucky gun owners' names and addresses

WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. (WYMT) - A New York based website is trying to get names and addresses of Kentucky gun owners.

One request went to the Whitley County Sheriff's Office.

Last week, Whitley County Sheriff Colan Harrell received an open records request from New York. The website heavy.com is requesting the names and addresses of handgun permit holders in the county.

"It was very surprising as to why someone from New York would want this information," said Sheriff Harrell.

The request has put some gun owners on edge, like Cathy Snyder who has a concealed carry permit.

"I'm not happy with that. It's none of their business," said Snyder.

The letter does not say why the website wants the information but it states it is for "news-gathering purposes" and "is in the public interest and will contribute significantly to the public's understanding of the prevalence and location of gun ownership within their communities." We contacted the editor who submitted the request, Aaron Nobel, but have not heard back yet.

"I just don't feel like they should publish this information," said Sheriff Harrell.

The Whitley County Sheriff's denied the request because they do not have a database of gun owners in the county. Sheriff Harrell referred the website editors to Kentucky State Police Headquarters in Frankfort. Kentucky State Police officials say the only database the state keeps is for concealed carry permit holders.

We asked KSP if they have received an information request from the New York based website. They are checking and plan to let us know on Friday.

Snyder hopes her information does not end up on the website.

"That's why we got our concealed carry permit because we don't want people to know," Snyder said.

She hopes her personal information stays private.

Re: NY website wants Kentucky gun owners' names and addresse

I hope Kentucky tells them to go #$%^ themselves.

I hope Kentucky tells them to go #$%^ themselves.

Good one GunnyGene! As I read the article I was thinking the same thing. They can MYOFB. I can't believe they had the nerves (stupidity) to even make the request.

I am a fellow KY person and I can't say enough keep your nose your business and out of our state. I def would like to know why they want this info, and what purpose it is to them, and why they didn't go straight to the KSP. I want to know what KSP will say

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

only one thing to tell them,,,,,,

Attachments

• kiss-my-ass1.jpg
    kiss-my-ass1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 125

They are trying to scare people through intimidation. All they are doing is putting people safety at risk. Yes it's public information but so is a lot of other stuff, that should not necessarily be broadcast to anyone and everyone that does not have the need to request it.

It's BS and I hope KY tells them where they can stick it.

I have no verification that they contacted my local sheriff, but I plan to make a short trip to his office in the morning just to have a little chat with him over morning coffee.

And in the rare circumstance he isn't there, I'll speak with the chief deputy to express my, ummm, opinion.

I personally don't have a CCW because KY is an open carry state and no license required to own a gun, but if I find out that my personal and private information of other weapons that I own that have had a "tax paid" stamp on them has been disclosed, I will sue both the sheriffs office for providing the confidential tax information, and the person requesting the information, and any outlet that releases such information publically.

Fate0n3 said:
I def would like to know why they want this info
because they are skeert of you all way down there....plotting

My county Sheriffs were sued and lost to a internet group called Calguns. Now Calguns is on our side of the fence. They are trying to turn California into a "Shall Issue" state, instead of a "May issue" state for Concealed Carry.

They had requested information on all concealed carry permits submitted to the sherrifs office in all 52 counties (Both "issued" and "denied"). The county sheriff denied Calguns. The court decided in their favor because of the "Freedom for Information" act. Because it was "Public" record, the sherrifs had to supply them with the info.

Sense receiving this info, they have posted all the "Cause" that people put down for the CCP. They DID NOT post any personal information. That was stricken from the documents. But it has started to help people get their CCP. It was an interesting read on what people put down that GOT their permits, and what the poeple put down that got denied. The list was almost identical. What it has showed in my county is favoritism.

Calguns, and their lawyers, have offered to help people get their CCP. You fill out your paper work (make a copy) and submit. If you are denied for a permith with a cause similar to what another person has that got their permit, they will repeal it for you. They are also looking at taking my county back to court for not replying to applicants in the time specified by the law (Reply in 90 days, current average reply time is 10-14 months).

It will be interesting to see this play out, both in my state (California), and others. I think the "Freedom of Information Act" may bite some in the ass.

Frank

Thanks for the heads up!
23725890.jpg

anyone know the name of the web site?

Back