• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Off to the Gunshow tomato... (Sun. 7-3-11)

Bobster

.30-06
I'm trying to get out to the local (Orlando) gunshow tomorrow, Sunday, July 3, 2011. I probably should have arrived early today, Saturday, to see what everybody in line had to sell before the dealers beat them up.

Local "for sale" ads with anything I am interested in have BIGUS BOGUS pricing! :x These people want more money than I could get the same thing for new--WTF?

I want to go to the gun show mainly to check it out. The best "out-going" deals are Sunday afternoon (maybe) so I might walk out with something :D .

My heart is set on a 590 20" A1 or Mariner, preferably with Speedfeed stock. I have an "extra" Glock 26 3rd gen., like-new (value: $450+, yes, all of a sudden I have TWO of them), I'm looking to trade even or maybe a little cash either way. If anyone HERE is interested in the Glock, PM me ASAP, perhaps we can work a deal or trade. It really is LIKE NEW but only has one OEM 10-rd mag and a new steel 17-rounder with Glock clam-shell case.

One guy semi-local did have a 500 18"with heat shield, an ATI 6-position stock with "bonus" pistol grip, dot sight and pic rail, pistol grip foreend, a tac. flashlight, some other "tactical" goodies and about 125rds of asst. ammo. He is looking for $400 for the package. He doesn't want to trade but will probably work with me if I show him cash. $300, maybe $350 would seal the deal but I'd have to travel about 1-1/2 hours to get there. :roll: I DO have to go that way within a week but the gun may be sold by then...

I've been considering a "Blackwater" 590A1 for $498 inc. shipping from Bud's. (+3% credit card fee) Another $20 for my FFL buddy to transfer to me as it is out of state. Bonus is that I will not have to pay 7% sales tax. Unfortunately, he is out of stock. I have a call into another Gunbroker vendor to see if he will price-match. The Blackwater has everything I am looking for: A1 tubes, 20" barrel, speedfeed stock, piccy rails on the grip and on top (a "bonus" IMO), a low-profile peep sight mounted on the top piccy and a hi-vis sight in front. This way there will be no "extra" expenditures needed--turn-key "custom". Maybe a pistol grip down the road...

I'm not too crazy about the Mossberg "factory" Ghost-ring sights. Reminds me of putting the fins from a '59 Caddy onto a '11 Corvette--they look out of place. ;) No offense meant if you have them and love them, of course. :) But they look "fragile" to me, and many here and elsewhere have commented on "tweaked" front sights.

Everything on Gunbroker that I'm interested in is priced high, IMO. I'd like to get something with a bayonet included but I can't help but wonder if they have tried to pry a car door open with it or something, twisting tubes/barrels, etc. :eek: By the time I add up the "extras" it doesn't make sense to buy anything BUT new... I'll save for an M9 later, when and if I think I need one.

A 590 Mariner in total stainless is still beckoning, but the seller wants well over $500. It is probably worth it but I'm looking for something to shoot, not a safe queen (ie: too collectible to shoot).

A new 590 20" Mariner can be had for about $430 or so and is on the list. If they made a 20" A1 Mariner (they only make an 18") THAT would be my gun.

I am also intrigued by the 500 JIC II in the nylon case for $300 from Bud's. Another $50 for a long stock and I am ready to go. It is hard to buy a used gun for $400 when this is what is out there...

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted on the gunshow results.

Well it sounds like you've been doing your research!! Good luck, and I hope you find a great deal...and if not, it's still fun to go look at all the guns! :) Have fun!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know if you end up pulling the trigger and getting a shotgun!

UPDATE: Gunshow>>>no, Maverick>>>yes!

Didn't make the gunshow Sunday--ran late and then a "ghost" opened up one of the power windows in my car and I couldn't get it closed so taking the door apart to fix it burned up my afternoon... :cry: I was successful at fixing it so not all was lost. :) There is another show in a couple weeks even closer to me so maybe it will work out in the end...

Ended up buying a Maverick 88 20" from Bud's for $211 total inc. shipping to my FFL then I'll have to give him another $20 so $231 "delivered". :D Here is the link: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/42628 This will hold me over until I get the "right" shotgun... ;) It is rated well by just about everyone so I figured, "WTH"! Note that it was $3 more than the 18" model--I'd rather have 2 more rounds than 2 less inches... I was tired of looking at these local bananas selling used POSs for $300+. I had considered a JIC II for $300 also but I'll save the $100 and put it towards my "dream" piece (see above). I should be able to break even if and when I sell it.

I had other items in the cart but ended up emptying them: 6-pos ATI stock: $51+$8 to ship, box o' slugs: $11? + $10 to ship. Maybe later... And a stock spacer for $5 or so.

Removed from the cart because it was poorly rated was a heatshield with plastic GRS from ATI for $21 or so.

I almost added a Kel-Tec single-stack 9mm for $244 but decided to wait until I sell my "extra" G26...

I'll post pics once I get the Mav... :mrgreen:

Congratulations on your new Maverick 88! I look forward to seeing it tailored to your needs.

Can't wait to see pics of the Maverick Bob !!

Bobster quote: "I almost added a Kel-Tec single-stack 9mm for $244 but decided to wait until I sell my "extra" G26..."

....wouldn't be a PF-9 would it ?!

KELTECPF9-2.jpg

It's a great belly gun...lightweight, easy to conceal, and has the sting of a 9mm. Good carry package !! I even added a LaserLyte Micro laser to it...

SHOOTER13 said:
Can't wait to see pics of the Maverick Bob !!

Bobster quote: "I almost added a Kel-Tec single-stack 9mm for $244 but decided to wait until I sell my "extra" G26..."

....wouldn't be a PF-9 would it ?!

KELTECPF9-2.jpg

It's a great belly gun...lightweight, easy to conceal, and has the sting of a 9mm. Good carry package !! I even added a LaserLyte Micro laser to it...

I should have the Mav. Fri. the 8th. I have some bids on some Ebay stuff (6pos stock, pistol grip) but I'm trying to keep it on a budget so I can turn it over when and if... I will have my keycard to the local gun range this coming Tues. (ie: "trusted" member) and am looking forward to checking it out... :D There is nothing like that "new gun smell"! :D

Yes PF-9. They have a PF-11 for similar money which apparently takes S&W hi-cap mags? But I would imagine it is thicker, also. PF-11 users complained of the grip--how is the grip on the PF-9? I planned on going to a gun store and handling one or both to see... Kel-Tec is a local company (Cocoa--about 45 min. away) but I don't think they sell over the counter out of respect to their dealers but I could be wrong... When I get my CWP I'll inquire more.

UPDATE: got the new Mav and a used Mav AND a 500!

The new Maverick 88 is your basic "Home Defense" with 20" barrel. Currently unfired and I'm thinking of selling it to break even since all of a sudden...

I got a used Maverick 88 for $140 with ATI 6-position stock and ribbed barrel cut down to 18.5"--yes a hack (saw) job... :roll: :? I cleaned up and deburred the end of the barrel where it was cut--doesn't look too bad. I removed the ATI stock (for later use) and added an OEM pistol grip ($16 Ebay). I won a shotgun night sight on Gunbroker ($15) for another brand of gun that I will be installing into the end of the shortened rib. Special tap is already here--still waiting on the sight to arrive. Meanwhile...

I "accidentally" bid on the Mossberg 500 shown and won it on GB. Pictures looked good, hopefully they are not hiding anything. Should be here in a week or so... Appears to have engraving on the receiver and scalloping on the bolt--I probably should have asked... Any info on this model? $175 shipped plus $20 FFL fee. 26" IC barrel? The wood stock looks very good.

Of note is that I am now officially a member of a local outdoor gun club with keycard and all! I'm looking forward to bringing my kids to shoot .22 pistol and rifle AND to "pattern" my shotgun(s). It is an "unstaffed" club and usually vacant of other members, especially in the summer.

Attachments

• pix555947743.jpg
    pix555947743.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 391
  • mavshrtrib.jpg
    mavshrtrib.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 391
  • mav1.jpg
    mav1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 391
GB is pretty well known, so hopefully people describe the items accurately. Keep us posted when you get it, good luck....looks like some great lookin guns.!)

Hit a local gunshow today. Not nearly as big as the one mentioned earlier. Didn't really see any guns that "tickled my fancy" or that I could afford. I did handle a Hi-Point .45ACP Carbine that piqued my interest... :) IMO, the Hi-Point handguns are BUTT ugly! AND heavy! Call it being spoiled by the Glock... ;)

I did pick up a "belt buckle" even though I don't have a belt to put it on... :D I don't see a spot for the leather of the belt to attach to but there is an easily removable stud for the belt hole. :lol: Also picked up a 5-round OEM mag. ($10) for my newly-acquired, like-new but 26-year-old Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

Attachments

• buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 372
Back