• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Old 500 trigger assembly fitting w/ new style?

smittymhs

Copper BB
Long story or short?? OK..Short.
I have an old 12 ga model 500AB with the metal safety slide, that's from the 70s. My 1st and hopefully only shotgun. Never let me down in all these years. Trigger guard broke so I looked to Brownells for a new trigger assm.
Price wasn't too bad but maybe I could do better. Looked on ebay and found a "new take off" with the gold trigger $20 cheaper. Sold!
Now I get it and surprise! Wont fit. After doing the research I should have done (but thought I did), I found that the older 500 wont take the new trigger assm without some fitting. I think I know what needs to be done but not 100% sure so I found you guys.

Can I just hog out the back of the receiver to clear (I think) or trim the back of the trigger connector or both a little? Am I missing something? Looks like it would work.
Or...is the old style trigger assm. not available, this one wont fit and I'm stuck with it and I need to replace my old friend.
OK...This ended up not all that short. :(
PS.. I was on the forum all weekend waiting for permission to post. You guys really impress me with the knowledge base here. I learned a few things just surfing.

Welcome from MI!!

Sorry I do know know the answer to your question but I'm sure there are some here that do.

I would give the Havlin's a call. They are the pros when it comes to old Mossberg's. (636) 937-6401

Please keep us posted.

No one???Really?? :confused:

Most of us around here just shoot 'em.

There are a few smiths on the forum, but they don't pop in on a daily basis. I know there are a few existing threads on the subject though that might be worth a read. I'll do some digging and post up thread links if I find them before you do. A call to the Havlins is a great idea. They really know their stuff...

I went to my gunsmith today and asked him about modifying the receiver to accept the new trigger assm. He didn't think it was a good idea. Not that it wouldn't work. Suggested I put the new one on ebay to get some of my money back and call Havlins to see if they can get me the right one. He also gave me the p/n 715430A from Numrick which may...or may not be what I'm looking for. To tell the truth. I have some really good epoxy that I might just use to build up the trigger guard and call it good. But then again, if its the only part thats hard to get and mine someday goes south....

Anyone need a trigger group assm for a "newer" Mossberg???

Good info there! But...Blacksmith says that the new triggers wont fit older guns. He doesn't really say that you can modify the receiver to make it fit.

,,,,,quote blacksmith's post,,,,,,,

In spite of popular theory the trigger guard does not break. The locking lugs sheer off. Mossberg addressed this issue way back in the 1980s. The locking lugs on the trigger assembly were beefed up which required a larger cut in the receiver. This is why late model triggers will not fit old guns.

,,,,,me,,,, take a little off the receiver and the new trigger fits,,,,,

JMO

Another quote from him...

"And if your old Mossberg needs a new trigger an Aluminum assembly may be your only option."

So I'm confused (easy to do)
I'm hoping Blacksmith chimes in here soon.

OK...I went out to the garage to study this a bit. Heres what I came up with. After reading Blacksmiths post I realized it was the front revamped locking lugs design on the new style trigger assm. that was keeping it from seating.
New style on the right

I took my Dremel and notched out the circled area to match the old trigger.

Untitled.png

I was able to shave just a little at a time with a razor knife after hogging out the notch to make a good fit. Found the retaining pin was a good indication how much to shave off. Good fit and everything seems to cycle.
Hope this will help any other member keep there old friend up to date.

Back