What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

oli700s home cast 1-oz slug ammo ~ a REVIEW

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Well, some of you have seen posts from oli700 about his Lee Precision 1-oz slugs that he casts himself. He really got my interest so we got to talking and he agreed to loan me his mould and some wads and overshot cards to make some of my own so I could try them out.

Lemme tell you, oli developed this load himself from published data but he thought he could improve on the results as published and he has nailed it!

Yesterday I cast up 55 of the slugs on my front porch. It took less than an hour.

oli_slugs_2_zpsf1d5b273.jpg

And this morning I put the MEC 650 to work making some finished rounds using the wads and overshot cards he supplied me with. It took no time at all and the crimps came out looking really good.

oli_slug_crimps_zps17e561c8.jpg

So outside I went with my 20" 590 and a chronograph to try these bad boys out. And the chronograph results were simply stunning! My first shot over the sensors was

oli_slug_chrono1_zps6f8827e2.jpg

Shooting it was just about perfect. Pretty stout, but not objectionable at all. Then I fired a second of oli's slug recipe. I couldn't believe it. That passed over the sensors at

oli_slug_chrono2_zpscd4171ea.jpg

Yep. One freakin' foot-per-second diference from shot to shot! That is 0.0007318% of variance folks. Anyybody who does this probably knows that if you get inside of 1% on any ammunition velocity you're doing really good. In other words, for a 3,000-fps rifle round a 30-fps standard deviation is right at 1% and oftentimes the extreme spread might get into 50-60- fps.

I've never seen a one-foot extreme spread (granted it was just two shots that I measured).

oli_slug_chrono3_zps010d28c0.jpg

My results might vary from you own, but I'm going to say that oli really came up with one hell of a load if you shotshell reloaders want to give it a try.

Thank You, oli700 for the chance to give your ideas a shot (pun intended)!!!!!!! :D

Wow......thanks so much because I have always wanted to put them through the chronograph. I usually just go by feel and paper because I have put off buying one….in favor of more shooting supplies lol.

Some day try that exact shell but replace the BD with 30 grains of Herco….that’s my low recoil load ….I guess about 1200 or so it’s actually the most accurate one of the bunch and I feel would be the ultimate HD SLUG.

Anyway we need to name the load so it’s easier to refer to in conversation…..

Well done!!!

Have either of you played around with using a roll crimp?

I find this all very interesting as I only realized a short time ago that it was even possible to handload slugs.

I have not but it would be the end of any crimping problems due to wad column heights. I have a drill press, the tool and vice might be around 80 bucks or so.....Just couldn’t do it because I got all the crimping figured out so far. 80 bucks is a lot of powder and primers.

Oh, BTW....

After my initial excitement and taking pics and posting for this thread I did shoot more to check for accuracy. Granted it was only 12~13 yards or so (self defense distance) with a GRS 590 but I fired five shots fairly rapidly and the holes could be covered with a playing card.

God I love shooting slugs. Buckshot not so much. Even tho' there is good patterning buck ammo out there it just doesn't compare.

nothing like a slug, its like the 45 acp of long guns, big and mean

they got Dixie slugs so maybe we can call them Jefferson slugs.....Jefferson Widow Makers

Yeah, I've been trying all day to come up with a name for 'em.

All I came up with was Slug-O's

Slug + oli (or Oregon) = Slug-O

But I like the "Widow Maker"

nitesite + wolf = nitewolf :cool:

oli + jefferson = jeffersoli's :lol:

oli700 + slug = olugs :roll:

badass + oli = badasslugs ;)

slammers
olishox
leadcutter

oli's super dooper slammer slugs.

ok..I'm done...

Man that's awesome, seriously nice work and def worthy of bein named!