• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Online gunsmith classes?

Larry23433

.270 WIN
I didn't know where to post this so if it's in the wrong section I apologize.

Has anyone here ever done any online schools for gunsmithing? I'm 42 but still have college grant money that I was told I can still use. I've been a welder and machinist for 20 years and learned on the job so never bothered with college. Aparently these gunsmithing schools like Sonoran are technically colleges so I can use those grants for that. I have free time and think it'd be neat to learn new skills but online gunsmithing seems strange lol. Seems like a hands on only skill.

Just curious if anyone has done this and has opinions. Not looking for a career change but if I can learn something new for free-ish I'm into it lol.

I'd give SDI a look. They sponsor a number of guntubers such as Brandon Herrera and Hickok 45. There is a lack of gunsmiths in this area (central FL)--why I don't know. Maybe tough to get insurance?

I'd give SDI a look. They sponsor a number of guntubers such as Brandon Herrera and Hickok 45. There is a lack of gunsmiths in this area (central FL)--why I don't know. Maybe tough to get insurance?

That's who I'm looking at, SDI, my major hang up is it's all online. Maybe I'm just an old fart but I don't know how much they can teach online with such a hands on skill. Even though I won't be paying much if anything I still don't wanna waste my time. Like I said I'm not into it for a career change either way but still not worth my time if it's crap.

You might see if the Colorado School of Trades or the Trinidad State Junior College offer online classes. These both are excellent.

Regards

Are there any gunsmiths in the area? Maybe have a talk with him/her and ask if you could arrange some training for sweeping out the shop or something? :)

No small private guys. PSA and Daniel Defense and then a bunch of small shops that do minor work who I wouldn't consider actual gunsmiths lol.

No small private guys. PSA and Daniel Defense and then a bunch of small shops that do minor work who I wouldn't consider actual gunsmiths lol.
I've always tinkered with my guns. I like seeing what makes them tick. Built a bunch of 80% pistols which introduced me to diagnosing Glockish operating systems.

I've got a bunch of 80% AR lowers that need machining. I have a HF drill/mill that would probably do a decent job cutting out the fire control pocket. I just haven't got around to it. :( I have a baby HF lathe that is really to small to do anything of significance to a firearm part. I have made bushings and other misc car stuff with it.

IMO, to be a "real" gunsmith (and in demand around here) I would have to invest in a large lathe capable of doing barrel work. That would require a lathe with a pass-through spindle of at least 1-1/4" to allow muzzle work such as shortening, crowning and threading. Then a dedicated space for it. Grizzly makes such a model but last time I checked it was north of $4Gs. Then I would have to consider that if I ruined a precision barrel worth $1G I would have to "eat" it. :eek: NOT the best business model. ;) But I know plenty of precision (and other) shooters that would gladly pay good money for such work. Risk/investment=reward...

Then a CNC machining center (mill) would probably be another investment down the road to be able to make other parts that shooters will pay good money for. A PRS chassis comes to mind...

My $.02 :)

Back