• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ontario Knife Company M9 Bayonet (590A1 Issue) Information?

st1264

.270 WIN
I realize this is the standard issue bayonet that comes with the 20" 590A1 SPX shotgun. I'm just wondering what I can learn about the bayonet, it's value when purchased not in this package, it's history, materials, QC, etc.

I'm guessing it's of good quality and it's not that cheap if you wanted to buy it by itself... would I be right? Any info would be appreciated.

OKC_Bayonet_1024x1024.jpg

bea6cdcb6ca6a425ce77138872591288.jpg

Specifications:

Blade Material - 420 Modified Stainless Steel
Overall Length - 12.25 in
Blade Length - 7 in (18 cm)
Blade Thickness - 0.24 in (0.61 cm)
Blade Color - Black
Blade Finish - Zinc Phosphate
Blade Grind - Flat Bevel
Edge Type - Plain
Hardness - 53-57 HRC
Handle Color - Black
Sheath Material - Glass Filled Nylon
Sheath Color - Black
Sheath Type - Bianchi Clip
Lock Type - Fixed

Country of Origin: United States of America

MSRP: $190.95

==========================

So what do you guys do with your bayonets? Is it like with my Mausers, the bayo's sit in the drawer and I put them on to take pics... then again, I went through a lot of trouble to find a nearly new M48 bayonet w/scabbard for my #'s matching Yugo Mauser.

Looks like a nice blade though, maybe you guys wear it as an EDC?

Just wondering as I was thinking about buying the SPX model due to the fact that it comes with a bayonet. I also see that the plain 20" 590 model has a bayonet lug, I'm assuming it will also fit perfectly even though it's not an "A1"?

The M9 is used in the deserts of the middle east and is the modern version of the M7 pig sticker that was used in Vietnam. Each will work on your Mossberg with the lug. The M7 is thinner, has no wire cutting provision and is said to be of stronger steel than the M9.

Each will work on your AR15/M16 Rifle, but if you want to use it on the AR15/M4 Carbine you will need a lug adapter (www.triple-r-products.com)

I collect Fixed and Folding Blades...so the OKC M9 is just one of many in my collection.

I keep a Ka-Bar Fighting Knife in my Jeep...ya never know.

SPECS:

Steel: 1095 Cro-Van
Weight: 0.70 lbs
Blade Type: Fixed
Blade Thickness : 0.165

Measurements

Blade length 7"
Overall length 11.75"
Grind Flat
Edge Angles 20 Degrees
Handle Material Kraton G®
Shape Clip
HRC: 56-58
Butt Cap/Guard Powdered Metal
Knife Made in the USA
Sheath Made in Taiwan

World of Bayonets has info LINK and provided this .pdf CHART. I have an M7 on my middy AR. Was Viet Nam surplus still in the foil package. Did not come with a sheath, though. As I did not plan on carrying it, I made my own... ;) I can tell you it is sharp as hell! "It will kill"... :D

bayo1a.jpg bayo2.jpg bayo3.jpg

I collect Fixed and Folding Blades...so the OKC M9 is just one of many in my collection.

I keep a Ka-Bar Fighting Knife in my Jeep...ya never know.

SPECS:

Steel: 1095 Cro-Van
Weight: 0.70 lbs
Blade Type: Fixed
Blade Thickness : 0.165

Measurements

Blade length 7"
Overall length 11.75"
Grind Flat
Edge Angles 20 Degrees
Handle Material Kraton G®
Shape Clip
HRC: 56-58
Butt Cap/Guard Powdered Metal
Knife Made in the USA
Sheath Made in Taiwan

If held upside down does the knife stay in the sheath!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

With the retention strap snapped on the handle...

Yes it does.

I have a surplus un-issued mid to late '60s M7. I got it for my 590A1 and AR15 but sold each of those. My M7 was not sharp which is ok as I figure it's a stabby tool anyway. The guy I ordered mine from included the sheath and I keep it on my backpack.

I have a surplus un-issued mid to late '60s M7. I got it for my 590A1 and AR15 but sold each of those. My M7 was not sharp which is ok as I figure it's a stabby tool anyway. The guy I ordered mine from included the sheath and I keep it on my backpack.

This is the one I had. Not sharp but very pointy. I was going to order that M7 for the new AR, but now I see it may not work without an adaptor.

M7 fits the 590A1 perfectly??? Can these be had at reasonable prices?

I got mine from a guy on eBay for $35. Sometimes bidding can drive them up more. Look around and take your time. Also check out the link from the earlier post. Get familiar with the different makers marks and years produced if that's important to you so you know if it's worth the higher cost if you're bidding. There were some made in very large numbers in the early to mid 80s. I think the makers mark begins with a B. These are reasonably common and usually in original packaging with a bar code on the plastic wrapping. They also sometimes sell for around $50.

Can these be had at reasonable prices?

My M7 was $44 "new" delivered from Debay. Maybe the price has gone down since I picked mine up a couple years ago. Like Rossi said, you must be patient. Add $10 for a sheath. In hindsight, I probably should have picked up a sheath but note that a sheath can leave marks on the blade if that matters to you. Deduct $10-$20 for a used specimen.

$44 w/sheath, used condition (surplus), free shipping to my box in Michigan... what do you guys think?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Or Brand New in wrapper $43, no sheath?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I just realized this was a two part question.

So the new in wrapper, are those also Ontario? My experience through searches is that the ones in the wrapper should be the ones made in the 80's.

In the one pic, one of those is sharpened. That's fine as long as you're cool with it. It shouldn't be if you're buying unissued condition unless the description says otherwise.

I'd be good with the $44 but you can pick up sheaths at shows or on eBay and other places but you'll likely be in $60 by the time you're done.

I just realized this was a two part question.

So the new in wrapper, are those also Ontario? My experience through searches is that the ones in the wrapper should be the ones made in the 80's.

In the one pic, one of those is sharpened. That's fine as long as you're cool with it. It shouldn't be if you're buying unissued condition unless the description says otherwise.

I'd be good with the $44 but you can pick up sheaths at shows or on eBay and other places but you'll likely be in $60 by the time you're done.

Assume I know nothing about these... they come pretty dull like an SKS/Mosin bayo or are supposed to be sharp??? I haven't had a lot of bayonets but of the few I've owned, the Mauser's seem to be pretty sharp (Czech VZ24 and M48).

The same ad with the sharpened bayo is also the one with them sealed in wrappers. Unsure how legit they are. Here's the ad, if I'm allowed to post it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-Army-M...1?hash=item41ab372de1:g:ARIAAOSw71BXQNe2#rwid

There's also some surplus Ontario M9's in excellent condition on Ebay, unsure if $80-90 is a good deal for them though.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This one looks nicer for $89 (Real deal, you think?):
s-l1600.jpg

Sorry for all the pics...

Last edited:
Everything looks legit. Looks like the stuff I've bid on.

The M7s aren't sharpened, they're stabby tools. I put a slight edge on mine though.

I'd still do it. If you're not happy you can always relist it or trade it at a gun store unless the seller has a return policy.

The M9s also look legit.

Back