• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

oops, i did it again.

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
With the build of my Pops christmas present nearing an end, I got itchy for another project. (as if i dont have enough). The 6.5 Grendel cartridge has been intrigueing me all summer. Over the past week Ive came across good deals on brass, dies, and bullets in the classifieds over on accurate shooter. I spent a lot of time lurking on 65Grendel.com also. So I went ahead and gave in. Just ordered a 20" Light H-Bar Black Hole Weaponry barrel, with matched bolt from Precisin Firearms. And although low on the price scale for this cartridge, they've gotten very good reviews on several forums. For the time i'm just going to build an upper. since I already have a rifle lower that im comfortable shooting. Lead time for the barrel is 6-8 weeks. So, stay tuned for updates.

I was torn between the 6.5 and the 6.8 and ultimately decided that I would go with the 6.8 due to not having the distance to really utilize the 6.5 as it was designed.

There is a lot of power behind that cartridge.

sounds awesome

I have a few rounds of 6.8 under my belt, really liked it. I hear the 6.5 is all around better but have no real knowledge of it.

and what the hell is a light hbar? ....hbar, heavy. then there is the SPR profile, like a shaved down hbar.....slightly

I was torn between the 6.5 and the 6.8 and ultimately decided that I would go with the 6.8 due to not having the distance to really utilize the 6.5 as it was designed.

There is a lot of power behind that cartridge.

lots of guys are having good luck with about 28/29 grains under bullets in the 120's. Considering that 24 is a good average for a .223 round, its not that much. Given powder charge, to bullet weight ratio, and theyre acheiving high 2000 fps. I believe i read of 2900 fps speeds with 85-90 grain bullets.

No. That would add another 2 weeks. I'll already be pushing my luck for "good" weather to do load development. I thought about the 18 inch, but I do like just the little extra velocity that the length ads. It will still be at least a full pound lighter than my bull barrel .223 Wylde

nice looking barrel, looks just like an SPR profile by another name . Its a good weight, its not as heavy as bull but still stays accurate when really hot.

so, you know the target crown is just a way to protect the crown from dings and such ?.....you have the same crown on a threaded barrel, 99% of the time.

Yeah, i understand. In the case of my bull barrel .223, and this 6.5 though, a flash hider serves no real purpose. And no need for a compensator. So i see no reason for the threading.

I agree, but the way i see it, worse case scenario, should i "need" threads. i know how to use a lathe, i know how to use calipers and micrometers, and I have taps and dies. I could thread it myself if i felt the need

Quick update. Barrel arrived about two weeks or so ago, and Ive gotten all the parts either in or ordered to build the complete upper. I just ordered the upper receiver a couple days ago, as i had to wait on it to come back in stock at Primary Arms. Went with the Aero Slick Side again, as i used on my last build. Also ordered the lapping tool, to true, or square the face of the receiver. Maybe not a necessity, but at under 30 bucks, its worth a shot. Other major components include Anderson M16 BCG, YHM gas block, Hogue rifle length overmolded float tube, Strike Industries charging handle with YHM tactical latch.

Can you link the lapping tool?

My buddy Dtech (dedicated technology) squared and trued one of my uppers years ago when he had the barreled upper there and it was amazing to see how "off" the forging was. From about the 11 'oclock to almost the 3 o'clock location, was silver where the lapping tool had resurfaced the face, and the rest of the face was black.

When trying to squeeze as much as you can out of a combination of parts, this is certainly one area where it doesn't hurt to go over.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/810457/ptg-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-ar-15

The one I wanted was from Brownells, this had good reviews though
Edit.... linked the wrong tool earlier, similar tool, same concept, but this is the one ive ordered. had more reviews overall, and more 5 star reviews. I ordered the 220 grit lapping compound with it. Same as comes with the Wheeler Engineering tool previously linked

Last edited:
Ordered a PTG lapping tool. And some 220 grit compound.

Would be worth having.

I may not take all of my receivers apart just to square and true them, but there may be more upper building in my days, so ...

Thanks for the links buddy.

Yeah, i understand. In the case of my bull barrel .223, and this 6.5 though, a flash hider serves no real purpose. And no need for a compensator. So i see no reason for the threading.

I'm not sure at what length you achieve full powder burn with the 6.5, but 223/5.56 is about 22 inches. And thus the reason for flash hiders on rifle length m16's.

But if you never shoot after dark, I don't guess it'll matter anyway. And with that said, there are no serious competition shooters who use anything on the muzzle. brakes, hiders, nothin'.

d24a19d50887b4fde8f9f36c6c0d5ed9.jpg

02fee069787aaa4e9f00a8e8a96b8add.jpg

Oh man!!!!!!!
Don't care if its cold or overcast this weekend. So long as its not crazy windy, raining, or wet snow I'm gonna do a break in and zero.

Back