• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Opinions Needed

JCG4

.22LR
Should I trade my Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch for a 5090A1 18.5 version? My 500 has the metal trigger group and safety. I like the 18.5 size and therefore am wanting to stick with it. I like the fact that the 590A1 has a more robust barrel and is parkarized.

Well, the only upgrade over what you have is the barrel, is it straight across? I'm guessing yours is blued, so I would consider a parked one an upgrade too.
Which model of 590a1? Mine had the 3 dot sights and speed feed stock.

I'd be very satisfied with either. I guess it would depend on which 590A1 you are looking at.

Even trade?

I believe the trade would be pretty close. The other aspect I like, regarding the 590, is the ease of changing out the magazine follower and spring vs. having to remove the entire tube on the 500. My 500 also has a Mesa Tactical 6 shot shell holder and a VangComp safety. I would remove these of course and place them on the 590. I have a Mossberg metal safety that I would put back on the 500.

Both are damn good guns. It's really up to personal preference. Just be sure this isn't a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Bayonet, or breacher barrel. Thats a tough call. Both can do serious damage in hand to hand combat, with the edge goin to the bayo for obvious reasons, I mean you could always blow the hinges out of a door without the standoff..... real tough call. Flip a coin, its a win either way.

Thank you for your replies. I may just not do anything; no one has a 590A1 18.5" locally and I still have a great shotgun.

Back