• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OR3GUN recoil system and Federal LE-127 00-Buck

JCinPA

.270 WIN
I installed the OR3GUN CSP and ASR (hole position #3) for about a 5% reduction in recoil spring rate, and the gun shoots both trap rounds and Federal LE-132 Low Recoil 00-Buck flawlessly now. I don't need to make adjustments between rounds, because apparently, LE-132 did not cycle with 100% reliability without a little spring rate reduction, and shooting target rounds is what OR3GUN designed their products for.

I've read, however, that LE-132 may not be as effective as one assumes 00-Buck should be and LE-127 has been recommended. I'm ready to stock up on 00-Buck again and am considering that load.

QUESTION: If I do that, am I likely to need to go back to the factory spring rate for it? If so, I may want to replace my competition ASR with their 2-position ASR. Of course, I'd rather leave it like it is, but if I'm going to need to make a change between loads, I don't want to have to remove the stock all the time. Am I likely to cause undue wear on the gun shooting LE-127 00-Buck with my current setup, CSP and Competition ASR in position 3?

Thanks.

Hi. I'm the guy who stated that LE132 00 probably won't reliably operate a gas gun or piston gun. I'm also the guy who observed that LE132 00 at 1100 fps does a shitty job compared to LE 127 00 at 1325 fps.

And don't forget the Federal load I mentioned in your other thread that is copper plated and buffered, and is great buckshot however it doesn't pattern as tightly as FlightControl.

I would not worry about re-configuring your piston over just a 5% difference for the LE127 00. You fixed the problem of low velocity ammo, so I would just leave it as it now is.

Thanks very much for the reply. I ended up with a nice assortment of OR3GUN parts and am very happy with my 930, but I am relieved I don't need to get yet another part for it.

I'll look for that other ammo you mention, although for actual defensive use, it seems the flite control wad is very highly regarded. But I am always looking out for new ideas.

Cheers,

John

Dang, Federal 00 Buck is hard to find, and when it's available, ridiculously priced. Is this a temporary thing? I seem to recall several years ago, it was plentiful and not overly spendy. Wow, that's changed!

Federal is for the really bad times and it's priced accordingly. You can practice with RIO, S&B, Winchester, or many other brands for just operating the gun. Or once you know how your 00 load patterns, you can shoot cheaper slugs and see where your impacts are on your targets. Then just imagine a circle around the slug hole. That's your 00.

Interesting that LE132 is fairly widely available. The "good" stuff is not, which certainly lends credence to your comments on it. I'll do some further research. I think while the flite control wad is desirable, plated shot that is buffered from a reliable manufacturer will have to do, at least for the time being.

Back