• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Painting Parts

I simply need to know the best and low cost spray paint for spraying the steel parts on a rifle, such as the muzzle break and other like parts.

Thanks

Cerekote and Duracote seem to be the popular choices, though not what I would call low cost. I know people that use krylon as well but it does not seem to be as resiliant to scratches, etc.

I used Cerekote on a shotgun and it has held up really well. I used the one that needs to be baked to cure but I have not heard anything bad about the air dry versions.

TheFirebrand said:
What about Rust-Oleum?
I used Rust-Oleum on 2 of my 500's, with proper prep (clean the metal well) it works fine.
They are both hunting and Skeet guns and have held up great!

While rust-o-leum and krylon and the likes are decent spray paint for what they are, but as has been mentioned, there are better alternatives depending on your skill level and tools and expectations.

If you use off the shelf spray paint and really use the gun extensively, expect regular spray paint to wear off pretty quickly.

PS. I like your avatar.

Considering that I have put THOUSANDS of rounds through both my painted 500's on the Skeet field and hunting, I must state from experience that the Krylon holds up great.
Are there more permanent coatings out there? Yes
Are there any faster or easier than Krylon? NO

John A. said:
While rust-o-leum and krylon and the likes are decent spray paint for what they are, but as has been mentioned, there are better alternatives depending on your skill level and tools and expectations.

If you use off the shelf spray paint and really use the gun extensively, expect regular spray paint to wear off pretty quickly.

PS. I like your avatar.

Thanks ...

I don't get to use it. Its mostly home defense and someday will probably be a critter hunter for survival ...

LTB45 said:
Considering that I have put THOUSANDS of rounds through both my painted 500's on the Skeet field and hunting, I must state from experience that the Krylon holds up great.
Are there more permanent coatings out there? Yes
Are there any faster or easier than Krylon? NO

Well I saw a box of Rust-Oleum Camo on clearance at Walmart in my price range. Thats why I was asking ... :)

Back