• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Painting stock?

devin99

Copper BB
So I am tired of my plain black look and I have seen a few people paint their stocks. Is there a certain type of paint to use for it to last and not chip? Any to stay away from?

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from NY. You might want to take a look in the 715T threads. There are some real nice paint jobs and plenty of good info on how to.

Thanks for the info!
Project "kindness" is underway. Pictures soon to follow!

Well as promised here is my "finished" ATR 100 with the process...

apy2epu7.jpg

First of course, tape up your optic, barrel, trigger, and remove bolt and tape innards.

evy7u2uh.jpg

Painted whole gun olive green.
e6a3a5up.jpg

Next, painted black stripes along length of rifle.

u5a7apy3.jpg

Then sponge on opposite colors to stripes. (olive green to black, black to olive green)

tu3ygyba.jpg

After that. I added "army green" to whole rifle. REALLY started to see finished product coming along! I almost think I should have stopped here but... Ya know...

huju9evy.jpg

Decided to add "khaki brown" to whole rifle. Like the deepness it added but still wonder should I have left it all green/black???

After that I finished with 3 layers of matte clear coat. No shine at all, just protected the colors. I DID notice when I sprayed on the clear that the paint layers "rose up" like it had paint thinner pored on it. I was kind of worried at first but when it all dried it was smooth as can be.

nyjyqebu.jpg

Here's what I used. (besides clear coat) Cost me less than $20!!

I had some "goodies" in the mail and just finished today.

jymara9y.jpg

Caldwell XLE pivoting 6x9 bipod

GrovTec sling swivel stud (I heard the stock plastic stud didn't fair to well with bipods so better safe than sorry in the field right! I had to use cut off wheel to cut to length but with the free float barrel it fit perfect and seems to work great, plus made in USA!)

Butler Creek sling.
AND

uzy7ydu3.jpg

I added a Tactical Works cheek pad which I LOVE! Holds 8 rounds, has large zipper pouch and a hidden Velcro pouch. Also made in USA!

evyze9uq.jpg

"finished" product!
I had a little problem painting near trigger. I named this gun "kindness" and tried to add letters to it...didn't work so I had to re-paint that part. No one can tell but I know so it bothers me haha guess I'll learn to live with it.

I am so happy with how this turned out. Now I just have to feed it some different brands /grains of ammo and see what it likes best!

Very Nice Job!!! Very cool!
I Love the look of a sponge painted cammo gun.
After I did my first gun that way, I looked over at the tackle box I use for all my gun cleaning supplies and it got the treatment to.

I'm not sure how I missed this entire thread, but it is full of win.

Fantastic job on the camo, and the hunt.

Not sure how it escaped me as well. Big congrats on a job well done and a successful hunt

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

Back