• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Parts for the 940... Start a Campaign!

Chadie

.270 WIN
Has anyone ordered parts from Mossberg for the 940? I am trying to gauge how stingy customer service is going to be if I don't have a 940 serial number for the parts that I am interested in... Looking to get the tactical +3 mag tube w/ spring (HOW IS IT THAT MOSSBERGS +3 EXTENSION FITS FLUSH WITH A 18.5" BARREL AND EVERYONE ELSES +3 GOES AN INCH PAST IT!!!) and the tactical shell stop assembly for my 930 Talo edition. I know these parts are backwards compatible. If anyone can answer my "black magic" bonus question, it would be greatly appreciated.

I just got off the phone with Mossberg Customer Service and was told that "parts for the 940 can only be ordered for REPAIRS" not swaps or upgrades!!!
What does that mean?
It means that you MUST be a 940 owner, you MUST have a "legitimate" broken part, and in certain cases YOU MUST provide proof of your issue (Photos, Sending the part back, Etc.)
What else does that mean?
NO BARREL SWAPS
NO PARTS SWAPS
If you bought the JM Pro and wish to put on the Tactical Bolt Release, YOU CAN'T
If you have a wood stock and wish to go to the black polymer, YOU CAN'T
If you wish to change your barrel, YOU CAN'T
Changing the Magazine extension between the JM Pro and Tactical models, NOPE
All of the things that you could do with the 930, YOU CAN'T DO WITH THE 940!

What I am suggesting for a campaign against this.
1) Formally reach out to Mossberg Corporate & Customer Service. Tell them politely that this policy will not do and will drive away customers.
2) If you have a favorite gun channel Youtube'er, let them know.
3) If you go to events and competitions, let other vendors and Mossberg Reps know.
4) If you know Jerry and/or Lena Miculek (I AM JEALOUS), let them know about Mossbergs policy not selling parts to normal people.
5) Buy Stock in the company, The board of directors has a duty to listen to the share holders. Even if you own 1 or 2 shares. You have a say and a vote within the company.

I'm not sure what parts you're looking for but you might check Numrich at the following link. They typically keep a lot of parts for various models.

Regards

Problems like these are typically what the aftermarket is for. But I don't know much about the 930's & 940's. With stuff like the 590's you can literally buy every single part online except the receiver.

I tried my hand at calling Mossberg Customer Service (twice) and I got the whole "G-13 CLASSIFIED" vibe when I asked for the part number for the wooden walnut forearm/handguard and stock for a 940 Pro Field.

I'd like to have a wooden furniture set to go on my 940 Pro Tactical but CS carried on as if the part/sku numbers to any extra parts & accessories from Mossberg were tantamount to national secrets. After I gave them the s/n to my 940 Pro Tactical, they told me I could not obtain the part numbers for the wooden furniture nor would I be able to purchase anything from them that did not need to be replaced on my individual shotgun (warranty or recall wise).

Guess my $$$ will go to third party aftermarket when items (eventually) show up for sale...

They may have legal restrictions on selling parts now as well. Not that I'm sticking up for Mossberg but you never know what crap they are dealing with as far as all the new gun laws. Or since it's such a new gun and fairly expensive they could have legal issues selling parts when alot of the 940's would be still under warranty and can't have people fiddling with them for liability reasons. Again... no idea and not sticking up for them but it's not an unreasonable assumption.

If I was a manufacturer, and I kinda am.... my shop makes a lot of things for different companies. I wouldn't want to sell parts. If the end customer has a problem, the company doesn't call us for parts, they bring the entire unit back for repairs or we build a new one. This way we know there was a problem, what it was, and we know it was fixed in house so we can continue the warranty. If we sell a customer parts, we have no idea if they used the parts to fix it right or if they were even the right parts to solve the issue in the first place. How could we still honor the warranty knowing someone else took it apart to try and fix it themselves? Legally it's easier to just say... "send it back and don't touch it!"

And if you sell parts you can't just assume it's for upgrades, you gotta take all that into account.

So, it's simply not always a issue with the company not wanting to support the customer and sell parts...

Again not sticking up for them, just providing a different point of view.

They may have legal restrictions on selling parts now as well. Not that I'm sticking up for Mossberg but you never know what crap they are dealing with as far as all the new gun laws. Or since it's such a new gun and fairly expensive they could have legal issues selling parts when alot of the 940's would be still under warranty and can't have people fiddling with them for liability reasons. Again... no idea and not sticking up for them but it's not an unreasonable assumption.

If I was a manufacturer, and I kinda am.... my shop makes a lot of things for different companies. I wouldn't want to sell parts. If the end customer has a problem, the company doesn't call us for parts, they bring the entire unit back for repairs or we build a new one. This way we know there was a problem, what it was, and we know it was fixed in house so we can continue the warranty. If we sell a customer parts, we have no idea if they used the parts to fix it right or if they were even the right parts to solve the issue in the first place. How could we still honor the warranty knowing someone else took it apart to try and fix it themselves? Legally it's easier to just say... "send it back and don't touch it!"

And if you sell parts you can't just assume it's for upgrades, you gotta take all that into account.

So, it's simply not always a issue with the company not wanting to support the customer and sell parts...

Again not sticking up for them, just providing a different point of view.
I got my email answer from our friend at Mossberg. They are not selling 940 parts now. They are for "in house repairs if needed".
I can't really blame Mossberg, with all the supply problems. Basically saving what they have right now for people that own a 940.

Another thing, I complained cause the new 590S models contain parts you can swap into a normal 500/590 but they won't sell them. Why? Because then they couldn't sell new guns.... in that case aftermarket makes better parts. I'd rather have a 590 with the defender tactical adapter than a 590S. But from Mossberg's standpoint, they make more money selling you a new gun that a $20 part. Greedy, but I mean I get it... why let you update a 930 if they can sell you a new 940....

I got my email answer from our friend at Mossberg. They are not selling 940 parts now. They are for "in house repairs if needed".
I can't really blame Mossberg, with all the supply problems. Basically saving what they have right now for people that own a 940.

I was gonna mention supply issues too.... can't sell parts you only have limited to the new production line and what's dedicated to repair.

With the Mossberg 500 line there's so many out their and it's so old they can sell parts easy cause it's not a new gun. Factories make more parts than guns.

My guess is the supply chain. Right now they are not keeping up with orders so it doesn’t make sense to sell parts they need to build inventory with. These guns are very new in that respect and the aftermarket I’m sure is diligently working on that. Be patient or so like I am after I get to test my pro tac, if I love it I will probably buy another version for hunting or trap etc.

Back