• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Personal Defense Weapon...when they buy them

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
They are "assault weapons" when the law abiding citizenry owns a semi auto but they are "personal defense weapon" when DHS wants 7000 with selector switches...it smacks of elitist tyranical hypocricy. They can have weapons to be safe but I can't? More and more I think our government hates half of the population. Strike that, actually I know they do.

The Department of Homeland Security is seeking to acquire 7,000 5.56x45mm NATO “personal defense weapons” (PDW) — also known as “assault weapons” when owned by civilians. The solicitation, originally posted on June 7, 2012, comes to light as the Obama administration is calling for a ban on semi-automatic rifles and high capacity magazines.

Citing a General Service Administration (GSA) request for proposal (RFP), Steve McGough of RadioViceOnline.com reports that DHS is asking for the 7,000 “select-fire” firearms because they are “suitable for personal defense use in close quarters.” The term select-fire means the weapon can be both semi-automatic and automatic. Civilians are prohibited from obtaining these kinds of weapons.

The RFP describes the firearm as “Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) – 5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm suitable for personal defense use in close quarters and/or when maximum concealment is required.” Additionally, DHS is asking for 30 round magazines that “have a capacity to hold thirty (30) 5.56x45mm NATO rounds.”

Republican New York state Sen. Greg Ball also issued a press release this week bringing attention to the weapons purchase request.

Calls made to DHS seeking information regarding whether or not the RFP was accepted and fulfilled were not immediately returned on Saturday.

these people know not their ass from a hole in the ground....I figure one of us is good for five of them

Maybe we all should join the DHS and get our own PDW. We then could work from within...

Used to work for the government. Not quite sure I want to go back. But anything is possible...

This is disgusting and further illustrates the fact its about keeping firearms out of the hands of the general population.

The next natural question is "why"?

They change the language, its like the Orewllian Ministry of Truth.

I'm gonna hold on to this info and call anything I own a PDW and if ever challenged I point at this info. In fact it looks like I'll send out another round of emails focused on this info.

I don't know what else to say here we all aren't already thinkin.

Would someone be able to do me a favor?

From that link I posted above, could someone scroll down to section C and open the PDF then copy and paste that section here? I can read it, but I can't copy it in a way to include in the next round of letters I'm sending out to reps. If its posted here, I can copy the text and include it in my emails.

Please, and thank you!!!

I hope this helps. I had to save it as text and then copy paste it here. For some reason the heading is lost when converting the .pdf to text.

1.0 SCOPE

The scope of this contract is to provide a total of up to 7,000 5.56x45mm North Atlantic Treaty Organization
(NATO) personal defense weapons (PDW) throughout the life of this contract to numerous Department of
Homeland Security components. This Statement of Work delineates performance criteria and testing to be used
for the evaluation of the firearm.

2.0 APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS

2.1 General. This Statement of Work lists all performance requirements for the acquisition of a DHS
5.56x45mm NATO personal defense weapon.

2.2 Government Documents. The following documents form a part of this document to the extent
specified herein:

MIL-STD-810G: Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering
Considerations and Laboratory Tests

MIL-STD-1913: Dimensioning of Accessory Mounting Rail for Small Arms Weapons

2.3 Non-Government publications. The following documents form a part of this document to the extent
specified herein:

ANSI/SAAMI Z299.4-1992: Voluntary Industry Performance Standards for Pressure &
Velocity of Centerfire Rifle Sporting Ammunition for the Use of Commercial Manufacturers

Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer’s Institute (SAAMI)

555 Danbury Road

Wilton, CT 06897

ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008: Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes
American Society for Quality

600 North Plankinton Avenue

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203

ISO 9001:2008, Quality Management Systems Requirements

International Organization for Standardization

1, rue de Varembe, Case postale 56

CH-1211 Geneva 20, Switzerland

(Non-Governmental standards and other publications are normally available from the organizations
that prepare or distribute the documents. These documents may also be available in or through
libraries, Internet search, or other informational services).

2.4 Order of Precedence. In the event of a conflict between the text of this Statement of Work and the
references cited herein, this solicitation/contract takes precedence.

3.0 REQUIREMENTS AND TESTING STANDARDS

3.1 General. DHS and its components have a requirement for a 5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm
suitable for personal defense use in close quarters and/or when maximum concealment is required.
Only one specific nomenclature firearm from each Contractor shall be submitted for solicitation
testing and considered for contract award.

3.2 Testing. The specifications that are subject to testing under this contract are set forth in Table I,
Requirements Verification Test Matrix on page 4. The National Firearms and Tactical Training Unit
(NFTTU) will conduct all testing; however, NFTTU reserves the right to use an outside laboratory to
conduct performance verification if it deems necessary.

The awardee or awardees of the subject contract agrees to allow DHS to release testing data of their
firearm samples to Federal agencies, Military, and law enforcement. Release of this data will be on a
case-by-case basis and will only be forwarded after receipt of a request on official agency or
department letterhead. Requests to DHS will state that the “Information is requested for official use
only and will not be disseminated outside the requesting agency (i.e. Federal agencies, etc.) or
department.

3.2.1 Solicitation Test. The solicitation testing will verify that initial firearm samples supplied by
each competing Contractor meet the minimum requirements of this SOW. Contractor’s
samples will then be rated on their ability to surpass all performance parameters in Table I,
Requirements Verification Test Matrix, on page 4. Those performance characteristics listed
under Basic Compliance criteria shall be certified by the Contractor, and/or evaluated by Non-
Destructive Inspection (NDI) conducted by the NFTTU. Major performance characteristics are
requirements that will be ascertained by functional testing of the firearms. Testing may be
halted for any sample (and the associated samples rejected) if a firearm fails any Basic
Compliance or Major requirement (as determined by NFTTU). Testing will be halted for any
sample (and the associated samples rejected) if a firearm from that Contractor exhibits
hazardous and/or unsafe attributes (as determined by NFTTU). All solicitation samples from
awardee of the subject contract will become property of DHS/ICE NFTTU upon receipt and
will not be returned. Samples from the unsuccessful offerors will be returned.

3.2.2 First Article Test (FAT). The specifications annotated for FAT in Table I will be verified for
First Article samples received under the contract. All FAT samples must meet the
requirements set forth in this solicitation and exhibit performance that is comparable to what
was demonstrated during solicitation testing for all requirements during FAT. The
Government reserves the right to decrease the amount of testing it performs under the FAT
regime. All samples submitted pursuant to FAT will become property of DHS/ICE NFTTU
upon receipt and will not be returned. The Government may invoke its right to demand the
Contractor conduct a FAT for the following conditions:

a. First twelve production samples after solicitation.
b. Design change of the firearm or components.
c. Design change of manufacturer's production process and/or equipment.
d. Relocation of manufacturer’s production facility.
e. Major firearm quality defects, recalls, and/or any other substandard performance issues.

f. Manufacturer changes supplier of critical components (barrel, receiver, internal mechanism
parts that affect firing).
g. A production lapse of six months or more.

The Government will be responsible for conducting a FAT if it is invoked for condition "a". The
Contractor will be responsible (under Government supervision) for conducting the FAT for all
other conditions and will be responsible for all associated expenses to include testing, shipping
costs, administrative/processing costs, and any other expenses associated with FAT and/or
firearm quality issues.

3.2.3 Limited Technical Inspection (LTI). The specifications annotated for LTI in Table I will be
verified for each production sample received during the duration of the contract. All contract
production samples must meet the requirements set forth in this solicitation and exhibit
performance that is comparable to what was exhibited during solicitation testing for all
requirements during LTI. The Government reserves the right to increase the amount of testing it
performs under the LTI regime up to the full amount of testing set forth in the “Solicitation”
column. The Government also reserves the right to decrease the amount of testing it performs
under the LTI regime. Firearms will be inspected in their entirety for general compliance.

3.2.4 Retest FAT. Any retest of FAT requested by the Contractor will be at the Contractor’s expense.
ICE reserves the right to send representatives to observe the retest if testing is performed at the
Contractor’s location.

Table I: Requirements Verification Test Matrix

Performance

Characteristic

Requirement

Paragraph

Test

Method

Solicitation

FAT

LTI

Basic Compliance

Quality System

X

X

Sample Size

X

X

Documentation

X

X

Supplemental Items

X

X

Action/Mechanism

X

X

X

Fire Control Selector

X

X

X

Trigger

X

X

Overall Length

X

X

Weight

X

X

Barrel

X

X

Caliber

X

X

X

Pistol Grip

X

X

X

Buttstock

X

X

X

Forend

X

X

X

Sling Attachments

X

X

X

Finish

X

X

X

Magazine

X

X

X

Sights

X

X

X

Major

Reliability

X

X

Durability

X

X

High Temperature

X

X

Low Temperature

X

X

Salt Water Immersion

X

X

Sand & Dust

X

X

Parts Interchange

X

X

Drop Test

X

X

Accuracy

X

X

3.3 Quality Management System (QMS). The manufacturer shall have a QMS in place that enables the
organization to identify, measure, control and improve key manufacturing processes.

3.3.1 Quality Control (QC)/Quality Assurance (QA). The Contractor shall provide a current QC/QA
process synopsis including examples of their quality plans for the manufacturing of DHS
firearms with their solicitation sample. Submission of a complete copy of the manufacturer’s
Quality Manual or a copy of the manufacturer’s ISO certification would fulfill this requirement.

3.4 Warranty.

3.4.1 The Contractor shall warrant the firearm for at least one (1) year from the date of delivery of the
firearm to the Government. The manufacturer shall repair or replace firearms due to defects in
material or workmanship.

3.4.2 During the period of the warranty, the Government will ship defective item (s) back to the
manufacturer’s facility for repair or replacement. The Contractor shall be responsible for all
return shipping charges.

3.5 Sample Size.

3.5.1 Solicitation Test. The sample size for the solicitation submittal shall be twelve (12) firearms and
ten (10) magazines per firearm.

3.5.2 First Article Test (FAT). The sample size for the FAT submittal shall be twelve (12) firearms
and ten (10) magazines per firearm.

NOTE: Samples shall be delivered to: NFTTU, 320 East Chestnut Avenue, Altoona,
Pennsylvania 16601.

3.6 Documentation. The following documentation shall be supplied with each firearm model submitted
for solicitation (unless otherwise noted):

- Technical proposal containing the following (supplied with solicitation only):

- Company profile for the Contractor

- Description of manufacturing facilities and capabilities of the manufacturer

- Description of proposed firearm (product data sheet)

- Operators/User’s Manual (one per firearm)

- Technical Package

- Parts list detailing all firearms components nomenclature

- An exploded view drawing detailing the assembly of the firearm parts.

- Engineering drawing package for all firearm components. The drawing package of awardee of
the subject contract will be retained by the Government for source control through the
contract period of performance and returned to the Contractor at the conclusion of the
contract. Drawings submitted by unsuccessful offerors will be returned with the solicitation
firearm samples. All engineering drawing package material will be treated as confidential and
proprietary items. Drawing package shall be submitted as an electronic copy on disc.

- Maintenance procedures detailing a preventative maintenance regiment for replacement or
adjustment of parts and recommended solvents and lubricants. This will be the basis for the
Contractor to determine the quantity of spare parts to supply with the firearm samples and will be
adhered to during solicitation reliability/durability function fire testing.
- Armorer’s Overhaul/Rebuild Manual (supplied with FAT only). Six printed copies and one
electronic copy on disc shall be provided. The manual shall detail all procedures and gaging
requirements necessary for overhaul/repair of the firearm.
- Copy of manufacturer’s QC/QA process synopsis, Quality Manual, or ISO certificate as detailed in
Section 3.3.1.
- Certificate of Conformance (C of C) stating that the firearm samples meet all Statement of Work
Basic Compliance requirements.
- Certificate of Conformance (C of C) stating that the Contractor has function fired a minimum of
7,500 rounds of 5.56mm through a PDW sample with no Class 4 malfunctions (see Table II). The
Contractor’s test firearm shall be the same model as the solicitation sample submission.
- Repair Parts Price List as detailed in Section 3.23.

NOTE: All Certificate of Conformance (C of C) shall be signed by a designated company official
authorized to bind the company.

NOTE: All solicitation sample packaging and documentation sent with the samples shall clearly
be identified with the Contractor’s name and solicitation number.

3.7 Supplemental Items. The following items shall be supplied with each firearm model submitted for
solicitation and FAT testing:

- All potential spare parts (excluding trigger assembly, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier assembly, and
receiver) needed to support reliability/durability testing outlined in Sections 3.23/3.24. The
quantity of spare parts supplied by the Contractor should be based on the Contractor’s
recommended maintenance intervals for a 7,500 round test.
- Two (2) sets of special tools, if needed, for complete disassemble/reassemble of the firearm.

3.8 Training. The Contractor shall provide armorer training within thirty days of contract award. Training
shall be provided to no less than twelve (12) designated armorers, on-site at the NFTTU Altoona, PA
location. Training duration shall be up to five (5) days in length and will cover all aspects of
maintenance, repair, and overhaul/rebuild of the firearm. Training will include firearm design,
operation, assembly/disassembly, maintenance, malfunctions, and gaging. The Contractor shall
provide two (2) cut-away models of the firearm at the time of on-site training and these will become
the property of the NFTTU.

3.9 Action/Mechanism.

3.9.1. The firearm shall be able to be operated by a left or right-handed user without permanent
modification.

3. 9.2 The action shall be select-fire (capable of semi-automatic and automatic fire).

3.9.3 The action shall fire from a closed bolt.

3.9.4 The action shall be gas operated.

3.9.5 The action shall have a bolt catch that automatically locks the bolt to the rear upon firing the
last round in the magazine. The operator shall be able to manually use the bolt catch to lock
the bolt to the rear with the magazine removed from the firearm. When the bolt catch is
depressed the bolt shall return to battery position.

3.9.6 The magazine catch shall securely retain the magazine in the magazine well. The magazine
release shall be spring loaded and be designed to prevent inadvertent activation. The magazine
release, when depressed, shall disengage the magazine catch and permit the magazine to fall
free from the magazine well.

3.9.7 The action shall possess a firing pin designed to prevent accidental discharges if the firearm is
dropped.

3.9.8 The firearm shall be designed in such a way that the operator can clear a malfunction using
immediate action without the use of special tools.

3.9.9 The firearm shall be able to be safely operated by a shooter wearing gloves.

3.9.10 The action shall be capable of accepting all standard NATO STANAG 20 and 30 round M16
magazines (NSN 1005-00-921-5004) and Magpul 30 round PMAG (NSN 1005-01-576-5159).
The magazine well shall be designed to allow easy insertion of a magazine.

3.9.11 The receiver top shall be equipped with an integral MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail for mounting
sights and other accessories.

3.9.12 The firearm shall be capable of being field stripped without the use of special tools.

3.9.13 The firearm shall be designed so that components cannot be readily assembled incorrectly or in
reverse, thus rendering the firearm inoperable.

3.10 Fire Control Selector.

3.10.1 The fire control selector shall have three positions; safe, semi-automatic, and automatic. The
selector shall have positions which are clearly labeled for the mode of fire.

3.10.2 The selector shall operate manually without binding from one position to another when the
hammer is cocked.

3.10.3 The selector shall remain in place in each position under spring detent.

3.10.4 The selector shall be capable of being checked for position both visually and by feel.

3.10.5 The selector shall be movable between the mode of fire positions by the operator without
moving the firing hand from the shooting position.

3.10.6 The selector shall be designed to allow for operation by left and right handed shooters with no
parts changes or modification.

3.11 Trigger

3.11.1 The trigger shall return to its normal forward position under spring action after partial or
complete trigger pull.

3.11.2 The trigger pull shall not be less than 5.5 pounds and not exceed 9.5 pounds.

3.12 Overall Length.

3.12.1 The overall length of the firearm shall not exceed 30 inches with the stock fully extended.

3.12.2 The overall length of the firearm shall not exceed 20 inches with the stock fully retracted
and/or folded.

3.13 Weight. The unloaded weight of the firearm (without magazine) shall not exceed 7 pounds.

3.14 Barrel.

3.14.1 The barrel shall have a rifling twist rate of 1 in 7 inches.

3.14.2 The barrel bore and chamber shall have a corrosion resistant and wear resistant coating or
treatment that is equal to or better than chrome plating.

3.14.3 The barrel shall be equipped with a flash suppressor and/or muzzle brake. The muzzle device
will be rated on its ability to reduce muzzle signature. It is desired that the muzzle devise
effectively reduces muzzle rise during firing.

3.14.4 A minimum barrel length is not specified. It is desired that the barrel length be as long as
possible while maintaining the overall length requirements of Section 3.12.

3.15 Caliber. The firearm shall be chambered for 5.56x45mm NATO.

3.16 Pistol Grip.

3.16.1 The pistol grip shall be a fixed, vertical pistol grip constructed of a durable material.

3.16.2 The pistol grip shall be designed for use by right or left handed shooters.

3.17 Buttstock.

3.17.1 The buttstock shall be easily adjustable for length of pull.

3.17.2 The buttstock shall be either collapsible or folding.

3.17.3 The firearm shall be fully operational with the buttstock either fully extended and/or
collapsed/folded.

3.17.4 The buttstock, if a folding design, shall not readily move from the folded position.

3.17.5 The buttstock, whether collapsible or folding design, shall be able to be deployed using the
non-firing hand without removing the firing hand from the pistol grip.

3.17.5 The butt plate shall either be serrated, checkered, or be manufactured from a non-slip material.

3.18 Forend.

3.18.1 The front forend shall incorporate MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny rails on the top, bottom, and both
sides to accommodate the attachment of optics or accessories.

3.18.2 It is desired that the forend Picatinny rail sections be capable of being removed or added. If
rail sections are removable, the sections shall be designed/constructed to not readily loosen.

3.18.3 The forend shall be constructed of durable, heat resistant material.

3.18.4 A one-piece monolithic forend/upper receiver is acceptable.

3.19 Sling Attachments.

3.19.1 The buttstock shall have slots capable of accepting a 1 ¼” wide sling and/or have the capability
to mount a removable sling attachment.

3.20 Finish.

3.20.1 The external finish shall be a non-reflective black, dark grey, or dark earth color.

3.20.2 The firearm exterior and interior shall be protected with a durable corrosion resistant coating or
made from durable corrosion resistant material.

3.20.3 The coating and materials shall be abrasive, impact, and chemical resistant equal to or greater
than phosphated steel or anodized aluminum.

3.20.4 The interior and exterior surfaces shall be free of rough surfaces, voids, cracks or other
manufacturing defects.

3.21 Magazine.

3.21.1 Magazines shall be compatible with standard NATO STANAG M16 design.

3.21.2 The magazine shall have a capacity to hold thirty (30) 5.56x45mm NATO rounds.

3.21.3 Two (2) magazines shall be supplied with each firearm shipped under contract.

3.22 Sights.

3.22.1 Front Sight Assembly.

The front sight shall have a black or dark gray non-reflective finish. The front sight shall be
capable of being removed and/or be a fold down design. The front sight post shall be
protected.

3.22.2 Backup Rear Sight Assembly.

The rear sight shall have a black or dark gray non-reflective finish. The rear sight shall have at
least one aperture of no less than 0.20 inches diameter. The rear sight shall be capable of being
removed and/or be a fold down design. The rear sight shall be mounted at the rear of the
receiver. The rear sight shall not interfere with the mounting of optics. The rear sight shall be
adjustable for windage and from at least 100 to 300 yards/meters elevation.

3.23 Repair Parts.

3.23.1 The Contractor shall provide a price list (by nomenclature description) of all firearms
components and assemblies to be used by DHS for repair and maintenance of the firearm
throughout its anticipated service life. Pricing shall be good for a five (5) year period.

3.23.2 The awardee or awardees of the subject contract shall provide notice of design changes to any
component and a First Article Test (FAT) will be required as outlined in Section 3.2.2.

3.24 Reliability.

3.24.1 Samples shall be tested with 4,000 rounds (per firearm). The firearms shall collectively exhibit
no more than twenty (20) Class 1, nine (9) Class 2, or two (2) Class 3 malfunctions (see Table
II). The firearms shall exhibit no Class 4 malfunctions. If any firearm experiences a Class 4
malfunction, testing of that Contractor’s samples will be discontinued. The number/type of
firearm attributed malfunctions and parts breakages shall be recorded and used to rate
performance. Malfunction classes are listed in Table II. The Contractor shall supply a
minimum of six (6) trained shooters to participate in solicitation reliability testing. A
Contractor’s representative shall be available during testing to assist NFTTU personnel with
maintenance and firearm repairs (using supplied replacement parts). The headspace of each
firearm shall be monitored throughout reliability testing. The bolt shall not fully close on the
“field max” 1.4730 inch headspace gage (NSN 5220-00-070-7814). Testing shall be
discontinued for a firearm if replacement parts are not available.

3.24.2 Cycles Completed - Reliability. Each firearm will be rated for its ability to complete 250
round firing cycles without repair or replacement of parts.

3.25 Durability.

3.25.1 Three (3) samples used during reliability shall be tested with an additional 3,500 rounds (per
firearm). The firearms shall collectively exhibit no more than fifteen (15) Class 1, six (6) Class
2, or one (1) Class 3 malfunctions (see Table II). The firearms shall exhibit no Class 4
malfunctions. If any firearm experiences a Class 4 malfunction, testing of that Contractor’s
samples will be discontinued. The number/type of firearm attributed malfunctions and parts
breakages shall be recorded and used to rate performance. The Contractor shall supply a
minimum of three (3) trained shooters to participate in solicitation durability testing. A

Contractors’ representative can be available during testing to assist NFTTU personnel with
maintenance and firearm repairs (using supplied replacement parts). The headspace of each
firearm shall be monitored throughout durability testing. The bolt shall not fully close on the
“field max” 1.4730 inch headspace gage (NSN 5220-00-070-7814). Testing shall be
discontinued for a firearm if replacement parts are not available.

3.25.2 Cycles Completed - Durability. Each firearm will be rated for its ability to complete 250 round
firing cycles without repair or replacement of parts. Rating will be cumulative based on the
total of 30 cycles from reliability and durability.

NOTE: Contractor supplied shooters shall be familiar with the firearm’s function and safety
features as well as standard range safety practices.

NOTE: The total duration of the firearm reliability/durability testing will be a minimum of 5
weekdays. NFTTU will coordinate with each Contractor regarding testing schedule and
location.

Table II: Malfunction and Type Allowance

Class

Type

Malfunction can be cleared by the operator within 10 seconds.

Malfunction that cannot be cleared by operator within 10 seconds; but can be cleared by operator with equipment immediately
available to a law enforcement officer in the field (i.e., Leatherman-type tool or pocketknife).

3*

Malfunction not correctable by operator and requires a higher level of maintenance. This may include the replacement or repair of
a part other than the barrel, bolt, action assembly, or receiver.

Catastrophic malfunction that requires replacement of the barrel, bolt, receiver, and/or anything that affects safe operation.

*Parts replacement(s) in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation for preventative maintenance does not constitute a
Class 3 malfunction.

3.26 High Temperature. Samples shall be tested with 60 rounds (per firearm), after temperature soaking of
the firearm for 8 hours at 125oF. The number/type of firearm attributed malfunctions and parts
breakages shall be recorded and used to rate performance. The firearm shall not exhibit any Class 4
malfunctions.

3.27 Low Temperature. Samples shall be tested with 60 rounds (per firearm), after temperature soaking of
the firearm for 8 hours at –45oF. The number/type of firearm attributed malfunctions and parts
breakages shall be recorded and used to rate performance. The firearm shall not exhibit any Class 4
malfunctions.

3.28 Salt Water Immersion. Samples shall be tested with 60 rounds (per firearm), after immersion in a 5%
saline solution at a depth of 6 inches for one minute followed by 24 hours in an environmental
chamber at 70oF and 70% humidity. The number/type of firearm attributed malfunctions and parts
malfunctions.

3.29 Sand & Dust. Samples shall be tested with 60 rounds (per firearm), after being subjected to a blowing
sand and dust environment in accordance with MIL-STD-810G. The number/type of firearm
attributed malfunctions and parts breakages shall be recorded and used to rate performance. The
firearm shall not exhibit any Class 4 malfunctions.

3.30 Parts Interchange. All firearm components subjected to disassembly shall be 100% interchangeable
between firearms without additional fitting or alternation (excluding the bolt/barrel). Upon
reassembly, the firearm shall be fully functional.

3.31 Drop Test. The firearm shall be equipped with a discharge control mechanism that is designed to
prevent the firearm from firing as a result of an impact, while the hammer is in the cocked position,
with the safety off. Additionally, the firearm shall be serviceable and exhibit no major damage as the
result of being dropped on a concrete pad from a height of three feet in the following orientations:

a. Muzzle facing the concrete pad.

b. Butt of stock down facing the concrete pad.
c. Top of the receiver and barrel facing the concrete pad.

NOTE: Major damage is defined as damage that would result in the gun being unsafe to fire,
discharging during testing, or malfunctioning during firing.

3.32 Accuracy.

3.32.1 Accuracy. Each firearm will be rated for its initial accuracy at 50 yards. The average extreme
spread of five 5-shot groups shall be no greater than 2.5 inches.

4. 0 VERIFICATION

4.1 Performance verification. Table I details all performance criteria. Except as otherwise specified, the
Government reserves the right to perform any of the inspections and tests set forth in this Statement of
Work, throughout the duration of the contract, where such inspections and tests are necessary to ensure
that supplies and services conform to prescribed requirements.
4.2 Quality Management System. The Government will analyze the manufacturer’s quality management
system for basic compliance. If the Contractor is ISO 9001:2008 certified, they shall submit written
proof of ISO certification from an accredited agency. NOTE: ISO certification is not required, but
will suffice for compliance with 3.3. Additionally, Government personnel or a third-party
representative may perform a QC system audit after contract award. If conducted, the audit will be
performed at the Contractor’s manufacturing facility.
4.3 Sample Size. All samples submitted will be visually inspected.
4.4 Documentation. All required documentation as listed in Section 3.6 shall accompany the sample and
will be examined to verify compliance.
4.5 Supplemental Items. All items will be inspected to verify compliance.
4.6 Action/Mechanism. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify
compliance.
4.7 Fire Control Selector. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify
compliance. The safety mechanism of all samples submitted will be tested for compliance by
actuating and checking for function every 250 rounds during the reliability/durability test phase.
4.8 Trigger. The trigger pull of all samples submitted will have the trigger pull measured by a calibrated
Dvorak TriggerScan trigger pull tester. Initial and post reliability/durability trigger pull shall be
measured and recorded on all samples. The average of three (3) trigger pulls per sample will be used
to verify compliance.
4.9 Overall Length. All samples submitted will have the overall length measured with a steel ruler to
verify compliance.

4.10 Weight. All samples submitted will be weighed using an electronic scale to verify compliance.
4.11 Barrel. All samples submitted will have the barrel verified by physical inspection and the use of a
bore scope. Barrel length will be measured from the face of the closed bolt to the barrel muzzle. A
Phantom v7 high-speed camera will be utilized to detect visible muzzle flash emitted from the muzzle
while firing. Five rounds of Lake City M855 5.56mm will be fired in a darkened range with the
firearm mounted in a rest.
4.12 Caliber. All samples submitted will have the chamber dimensions verified by physical inspection and
the use of certified headspace gages. Initial and post reliability/durability headspace shall be measured
and recorded on all samples. The gage shall be inserted in the cleaned chamber and the bolt returned
to the battery position. Only finger pressure shall be used to close the bolt. Maximum headspace: bolt
shall not fully close.
4.13 Pistol Grip. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify compliance.
4.14 Buttstock. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify compliance.
4.15 Forend. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify compliance.
4.16 Sling Attachments. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify
compliance.
4.17 Finish. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify compliance.
4.18 Magazine. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify compliance. The
magazine shall be capable of holding thirty (30) 5.56x45mm NATO rounds.
4.19 Sights. All samples submitted will be visually and physically examined to verify compliance.
4.20 Reliability. Six (6) samples will undergo a 4,000 round (per firearm) reliability test in multiples of
250 round firing cycles. The following ammunition types will be utilized: Speer 24450 64 grain .223
Remington, Speer XM223SP1 62 grain .223 Remington, Federal XM223T3 62 grain .223 Remington,
and Lake City M855 5.56mm. Ammunition will be supplied by DHS. The firing cycle shall be 60%
automatic mode and 40% semi-automatic mode. Sustained rate of fire will be maintained throughout
each cycle and each 250 round cycle will be fired within 5 minutes. The firearms will be cooled and
cleaned after each firing cycle. A detailed inspection will be performed after every forth (4th) firing
cycle. All recommended maintenance procedures will be adhered to and parts will be changed at the
Contractor recommended maintenance interval (using supplied replacement parts). All malfunctions
will be analyzed by two (2) NFTTU armorers to determine the malfunction type/cause and
malfunctions attributed to the firearm(s) will be recorded. Firearms experiencing a Class 3
malfunction will be repaired (using Contractor supplied replacement parts) and will continue testing.
Non-destructive testing will be conducted on each firearm after completion of the reliability test. The
key firearm components (barrel, bolt, and receiver) shall be free of cracks, seams and other defects.
The headspace shall be measured using certified headspace gages.

4.21 Durability. Three (3) randomly selected samples used in the reliability test will undergo an additional
3,500 round (per firearm) durability test in multiples of 250 round firing cycles. The following
ammunition types will be utilized: Speer 24450 64 grain .223 Remington, Speer XM223SP1 62 grain
.223 Remington, Federal XM223T3 62 grain .223 Remington, and Lake City M855 5.56mm. The
firing cycle shall be 60% automatic mode and 40% semi-automatic mode. Sustained rate of fire will
be maintained throughout each cycle and each 250 round cycle will be fired within 5 minutes. All

firing shall be from the shoulder. The firearms will be cooled and cleaned after each firing cycle. A
detailed inspection will be performed after every second (2nd) firing cycle. All recommended
maintenance procedures will be adhered to and parts will be changed at the Contractor’s recommended
maintenance interval (using supplied replacement parts). All malfunctions will be analyzed by two (2)
NFTTU armorers to determine the malfunction type/cause and malfunctions attributed to the
firearm(s) will be recorded. Firearms experiencing a Class 3 malfunction will be repaired (using
supplied replacement parts) and will continue testing. Testing shall be discontinued for a firearm if
replacement parts are not available. If any firearm experiences a Class 4 malfunction, testing of that
Contractor’s samples will be discontinued. Non-destructive testing will be conducted on each firearm
after completion of the durability test. The key firearm components (barrel, bolt, and receiver) shall be
free of cracks, seams and other defects. The headspace shall be measured using certified headspace
gages.

4.22 High Temperature. Three (3) randomly selected samples will be temperature conditioned in an
environmental chamber at 125 +5oF and 0% humidity for 8 hours. After 8 hours of temperature
conditioning each firearm will be used to fire 60 rounds of ammunition within 2 minutes after removal
from the environmental chamber. The ammunition used will also be temperature conditioned at 125oF
for 8 hours. Any malfunction will be recorded and analyzed by NFTTU armorers.

4.23 Low Temperature. Three (3) randomly selected samples will be temperature conditioned in an
environmental chamber at -45 +5oF and 0% humidity for 8 hours. After 8 hours of temperature
conditioning each firearm will be used to fire 60 rounds of ammunition within 2 minutes after removal
from the environmental chamber. The ammunition used will also be temperature conditioned at -45oF
for 8 hours. Any malfunction will be recorded and analyzed by NFTTU armorers.

4.24 Salt Water Immersion. Three (3) randomly selected samples will be immersed in 5% (by weight)
saline solution at a depth of 6 inches for one minute. Upon removal from the saline solution, the
firearms will be subjected to environmental conditioning at 70 +5oF and 70% humidity for 24 hours in
an environmental conditioning chamber. After environmental conditioning, each firearm will be used
to fire 60 rounds of ammunition within 2 minutes after removal from the environmental chamber. Any
malfunction observed will be recorded and analyzed by NFTTU armorers.

4.25 Sand & Dust. Three (3) randomly selected samples will be subjected to blowing sand and dust per
Method 510.5 detailed in MIL-STD-810G . After sand and dust conditioning, each firearm will be
used to fire 60 rounds of ammunition. Any malfunction observed will be recorded and analyzed by
NFTTU armorers.

4.26 Parts Interchange. Prior to reliability testing, an NFTTU armorer will disassemble all samples. All
parts and assemblies, excluding barrels and bolts, will be sorted and placed in individual bins. All
parts and assemblies will be inspected for burrs, sharp edges and workmanship. A second NFTTU
armorer will reassemble the firearms using randomly selected components. Any components found
not to be interchangeable and the need for any tools needed to disassemble/reassemble the firearm will
be noted. A Contractors’ representative can be available during parts interchange testing to assist
NFTTU personnel with disassembly and assembly.

4.27 Drop Test. Three (3) randomly selected samples will undergo 3-foot drop testing onto a concrete pad.
One firearm will be oriented to drop so as to land on the muzzle, one firearm will be oriented to drop
so as to land on the butt of the firearm stock, and one firearm will be oriented to drop so as to land on
the top of the barrel/receiver. Each firearm will contain a magazine loaded with dummy ammunition.

A cartridge case containing a live primer will be in the chamber during the drop test. After drop
testing, the firearms will undergo a LTI by NFTTU armorers and 5 rounds of ammunition will be fired
in each firearm. Any discharges during drop testing and malfunctions during subsequent firing will be
recorded and analyzed by NFTTU armorers.

4.28 Accuracy. Three (3) randomly selected samples will be subjected to initial accuracy testing.
Accuracy will be evaluated at 50 yards by shooting five (5) 5-shot groups. The ammunition used for
accuracy testing will be Speer 24450 64 grain .223 Remington. The firearm will be accuracy tested
mounted in a machine rest that is designed to securely clamps the receiver top of Colt M4 type
carbines. If the sample firearm is of such a design that the NFTTU machine rest cannot be utilized, the
Contractor will be notified and will have an opportunity to supply one of their own design for use in
accuracy testing. An Oehler optical target or equivalent system will be used to record the groups.

5.0 REPORTING REQUIREMENTS

The Contractor shall submit a monthly report providing the Contracting Officer (CO) and Contracting
Officer’s Representative (COR) status of all orders placed under the respective contracts by all DHS
components to include; delivery order number; delivery order date, quantity for each Contract Line Item
Number (CLIN); total delivery order obligation amount; and delivery order due date.

Definitions

American National Standards Institute (ANSI) – Organization that oversees the development of
voluntary consensus standards for products, services, processes, systems, and personnel in the United
States.

Certificate of Conformance (C of C) – Contractor’s assurance that the equipment provided meets the
contract’s specifications.

National Firearms Tactical Training Unit (NFTTU) – Organization responsible for the facilitation and
execution of ICE law enforcement responsibilities by providing personnel with firearms, intermediate
force weapons, protective equipment, training, logistical support and guidance that will testing to
ensure that firearms, body armor, and ammunition carried by ICE agents – and officers and agents at
other DHS components meet or exceed the highest level of standards.

Personal Defense Weapon (PDW) - 5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm suitable for personal defense
use in close quarters and/or when maximum concealment is required.

Quality Management System – Organizational structure, procedures, processes and resources needed to
ensure the product manufactured meets the needs of the customer.

Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute Inc. (SAAMI)– Organization of the United
States leading manufacturers of firearms, and ammunition. Reponsible for creating and publishing
industry standars for safety, interchangeability, reliability, and quality.

MIKE!!! Thank you! Reason I wanted this is because it describes in detail every part. Everypart that is also listed in the "assault" weapons ban. The very parts that make a firearm an "assault" weapon by definition according to lawmakers seeeking to ban these firearms for public consumption. So by definition, they're either assault weapons or PDWs, they can't be both and I'm callin em on it.

Heck even refers to the rifles as "Colt M4 type"

Thanks again Mike!

I am emailing this to everyone including reps that aren't my own;

Dear (everyone),

The DHS is seeking to purchase as many as 7000 rifles, PDWs or "personal defense weapons" as they are "particularly suited to personal defense in close quarters". Not really a big deal except that if you look at Sec. C in the link below, you can read for yourself the characteristics of the rifles, actually referred to as "Colt M4 type".

The characteristics are the same as those that appear in proposed ban legislation but those rifles are referred to as "assault weapons", they are the very characteristics that define an "assault" weapon according to legislators. They simply can't be both and I personally am sending emails to both state and federal reps demanding an explanation.

This is further illustration of the tactic being used to control the language and conversation to illicit a particular and calculated response from the public.

The primary difference between what is available for public consumption and that being considered for purchase by the DHS is that the request from the DHS is for select fire rifles, which are not available to the public as you know without meeting very strict requirements including a $200 tax stamp and FBI background check with fingerprinting.

I am demanding of my reps to provide an explanation and to publicly define an "assault weapon" because its one or the other and certainly not both. I personally do not own a single "assault weapon".

Rossignol

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode ... e&_cview=0

I'm honestly hoping that NO manufacturers submit bids on this contract and ANY inquiries from DHS should get a reply that looks like this......

To whom it my concern at Department of Homeland Security,

Thank you for your inquiry into our companies possible interest in fulfilling your desired order for 7,000 5.56 caliber Personal Defense Weapon Systems. After careful evaluation of your request we have decided we would rather dig our own eyes out with a spoon than provide firearms to a government that denies their citizens the use of the same weapon systems to defend their own home and families. If a double-barrel shotgun is good enough for John Doe down the street to protect his family from two Meth-heads breaking into his home at 3 a.m. then it should be perfectly adequate for you to use when protecting yourselves from the same two meth-heads. Perhaps Vice-President Biden will allow you to borrow his shotgun and provide you some tactical advice on its use. Our company will no longer place profits over common sense and therefore we have no interest now, or ever, in fulfilling your needs.

Thank you, now go kick rocks,
Bob's premium modern sporting rifles

Back