• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

pictures that make you lol

DISHWASHER.jpg

Rossignol said:
SHOOTER13 said:

Is that stealth mode or camoflage?

================================================================

Neither...the Raptor is breaking the sound barrier and disruption of the atmosphere is what you are seeing !!

=================================================================

Explanation

A conically shaped high pressure surface is formed by objects traveling faster than the speed of sound in a medium, e.g., a jet flying through the air.

This cone is caused by the sound source (jet) traveling faster than the sound waves that are produced by it can travel.

The result is an "envelope" of overlapping circles ("sound wave crests"), each with its center lying ahead of the last sound crest. That envelope is conically shaped with its point at the actual sound source. Lying just inside this conically shaped sound pressure wave (above ambient pressure) is a similar, conically shaped surface of below-ambient pressure air ("sound wave trough").

This is a necessary result of the wave nature of sound waves. Any decent physics text will have a sketch of this. If the humidity level is high enough (e.g., just above sea surface on a warm Pacific Ocean afternoon), the humidity in the air may condense in that trough of low pressure and form a cloud, only to be reabsorbed by the air when pressure returns to normal.

Such clouds tend to form on the noses, nacelles, an leading egdes or tips of wings, canards, etc. These are not unlike contrails except that the water vapor is present in the air before the jet passes, as opposed to being the result of burning jet fuel.

The sonic "boom"

Pictures of these show the result of moisture condensing in the conically shaped wave trough just behind the shock wave. The sonic "boom" reported with these events is NOT caused at the time the jet's speed rises past the speed of sound. It is in fact the continuous sound that the shock wave "crest" represents. A person farther down the path of the jet will hear the same "boom" but later than a person nearer the jet's direction of approach. The speed of the sound crest is equal to the speed of the jet in the direction of travel and equal to the speed of sound perpendicular to the cone's surface.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Science steals some of the thunder...but it's still BAD ASS !! ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the Space Shuttle breaking the sound barrier after liftoff...

SPACESHUTTLEBREAKIN.jpg

That's correct SNIPER...

The high cost of the aircraft...a lack of clear air-to-air combat missions because of delays in the Russian and Chinese fifth generation fighter programs...a US ban on Raptor exports...and the ongoing development of the supposedly cheaper and more versatile F-35 resulted in calls to end F-22 production.

In April 2009 the DoD proposed to cease placing new orders, subject to Congressional approval, for a final procurement tally of 187 Raptors, and the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 lacked funding for further F-22 production.

My father-in-law is involved in building the new F-35s. They look to be a decent replacement to the F-18, but nowhere near as capable as the F-22...

Wow!!! I knew it wasnt what I was thinkin, but certainly had no idea what it really was!!! Thanks for that explanation! ;)

The gesture he is making with his hand is an old "game". If someone looks at it or notices it without you drawing attention to it than you get to punch them…..and you are only a nerd if you know so you are safe

oli700 said:
The gesture he is making with his hand is an old "game". If someone looks at it or notices it without you drawing attention to it than you get to punch them…..and you are only a nerd if you know so you are safe

Yup. Often referred to as the circle game. Purists, such as myself, would consider the looker in this case to be safe, since we adhere quite firmly to the rule that you must throw the circle, which is the proper terminology, below the waist to be considered a circle which is in play. Even though I posted the pic, I consider it to contain an invalid circle...

What was that about nerds? :lol:

Back