• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Please advise

Huff64

.22LR
I just recieved my new Mossberg 930 SPX and i was so very excited to get it in my hands and to the range. I followed the advice of many and field stripped and cleaned the weapon before taking it out for a test drive. The problem im having is when i pull back the charge handle to load that 1st shell (2 3/4) the shell dosent chamber properly, even if i pull that charge handle back really hard. sometimes it loads and sometimes it dosent. this is my only complaint but it's a big one. ill probably call mossberg on monday but im really bumed out about that. Any advice ?? :(

Sounds like another Magazine Tube or Magazine Spring issue. When you take your magazine tube extension off, inspect for any type of a lip or dent at the top of the magazine tube or bottom of the extension that could be causing the magazine tube spring to catch. Also check for the length of the spring. My best advice is that the spring should be approximately ten inches longer than the entire length of the magazine tube and extension. If nothing pops out as being out of wach, you can do one of two things. Many have bought the Nordik Magazine Extension and spring or send it back to OFM and make them deal with their poor QC. Good luck.

Paul

Agree with raven that it is most likely the tube/spring. How many shells are loaded into the tube when you have this problem? I had this issue when only 1 or 2 shells were in the tube - it was a weak Mossberg spring. It became very apparent in my case when I left it loaded for a few weeks with 6 rounds in the tube – it wouldn’t cycle the last 1 or 2 up the elevator into the chamber when manually cycled. I looked for burrs/ridges in the tube/extender and replaced the Mossberg spring with the Wolfe spring and it has been fine ever since.

Sounds like you need to hit the range and put 200+ rounds in it. Mine had similar issues but once broken in this thing is butter.

I like the sound of that. HAHA.................I amplanning on calling Mossberg tomorrow and see what they say but maybe 200 rounds is what the doctor ordered.

Hello everyone and thanks for all the sound advise. I wanted to tell everyone the conclusion my nightmare which is kinda a funny story. Before sending my 930SPX off to mossberg to figure out why my 1st round would never chamber properly, i thought i try the local gunshop and speak to someone there. I brought in my weapon and discribed the problem. the gunsmith took the SPX into the back to test it then came out and said come show me how your loading the weapon. I demonstrated the problem and he all but laughed at me or called me a dumb ass. it turn out i was treating the charge handle line a bolt action rifle and not just letting go of the charge handle after cocking it back. now that i know the correct way the SPX loads every time. In one hand i feel like a retard and uin the other im so glad i didnt send my toy off to mossberg for 2-4 weeks. HAHA

Huff64 said:
Hello everyone and thanks for all the sound advise. I wanted to tell everyone the conclusion my nightmare which is kinda a funny story. Before sending my 930SPX off to mossberg to figure out why my 1st round would never chamber properly, i thought i try the local gunshop and speak to someone there. I brought in my weapon and discribed the problem. the gunsmith took the SPX into the back to test it then came out and said come show me how your loading the weapon. I demonstrated the problem and he all but laughed at me or called me a dumb ass. it turn out i was treating the charge handle line a bolt action rifle and not just letting go of the charge handle after cocking it back. now that i know the correct way the SPX loads every time. In one hand i feel like a retard and uin the other im so glad i didnt send my toy off to mossberg for 2-4 weeks. HAHA

It turns out I was wrong. I took the SPX back to the range and ran another 50 shells threw it and every time i would go to chamber that 1st shell i( the correct way) it would not come out of the ext tube properly and load into the chamber. I have ordered a new Willson follower and Wolff spring but if that dosent fix the problem it's going back to the manufacture...SIGH

New Wilson Follower & wolff spring didnt fix anything. off to Mossberg it goes and 3-4 weeks of no joy for me....Sigh

Ok i just got my 1 month old 930SPX back from mossberg repair (maverick arms). They replaced the elevator, extractor and extension tube spring. the 930sp will now chamber a round ok but STILL wont take all 7 shells (2 3/4) in the tube. im so unhappy with my mossberg experience im probably going to sell one of my glocks and the 930SPX and buy a Benelli M4. yes it only holds 4+1 but ill bet it will actually hold the 4+1 as they stated unlike cheap ass mossberg. A wise person once said "you get what you pay for" and "if it seems too good to be true, it probably isnt". yes im going to spend a extra grand but i bet there is no benelli owners forum filled with post of people complaining about there product sucking right out of the box.

Ummm...Some 930 SPX owners have had to trim their spring until they could load the 7th shell, if you decide to go that route only trim one coil at a time.

OK i just got my 930 SPX back from the maverick arms (mossberg service center) the 2nd time and they totally replaced it. However being without a working shotgun for over a month and being seriously dissapointed with the product i went ahead and bought a mac-daddy Benelli M4. so im going to sell my NIB Mossberg 930 SPX for $600 you pay the shipping. If anyone is interested please contact me at huff64@gmail.com

Back