• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

firfyghter

Copper BB
Hi - I've owned a Mossberg 500 for years, and purchased it without really knowing anything about guns at the time. Since then, I have been a loyal Mossberg follower and proponent for the product, especially when it comes to those snaught-nosed Remington owners. posting.php?mode=post&f=5#

I just picked up my Mossberg 930 SPX for a Frontsight 4-day shotgun class. In addition, I'm installing my Nordic Component (NC) extension tube for either 3-gun or zombie defense posting.php?mode=post&f=5#, and am awaiting delivery of a AIMPRO Tri-Rail and Choate Pistol grip.

The online facts about the 930 SPX clearly states that the rifle is a 7+1 capacity. It does NOT state what size shells it uses to base this measurement on.

My problem applies when using both, the Choate extension tube that came on the rifle as well as the NC with +2 extension... both extensions are going to hold the same capacity The rifle will only hold 7+1 using a Winchester 2 1/4" length shell (even though the box clearly states the shell is a 2 3/4"-whats up with that posting.php?mode=post&f=5#). The slug is a 2 3/8" and only 6+1 fits. I've tried installing the NC's spring as well as the factory spring and the above mentioned results are exactly the same (any shell larger than the 2 1/4" will hold less capacity than stated online). Is this some weird thing that everyone knows about except me?

I'm pretty irritated that I'm dropping so much coin on a product and it doesn't even live up to what the specifications clearly state online. I tried calling Customer Service, but my English is too proper for a english second language customer service rep. I figure the problem either has to be me and I need help, or this is some shotgun-lingo about less shells fitting depending on the size of the shell. Any why would the box clearly state that the shells are 2 3/4" when it is clearly 2 1/4"?

Please help me, I know nothing about shotguns (which is why I'm taking the 4-day class) and really want to continue being a supporter of the Mossberg brand.

What model nuber did you purchase? That makes a large difference on capacity because ther seems to be a differecne between 5 & 8 shells depending on the moel.

From my understanding, the expected capacity of shells is made using 2 3/4" shells. Mine states 8+1 using 2 3/4 shells. If I use 3" shells I have to drop capacity by 1 due to the extra legnth of all of the shells in the mag tube.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!!! We'll help as much as we're able!!!

I cant answer all your questions, but I can start with the shell length. When a shell is listed as bein 2 3/4" long, that refers to the expanded length after firing, and is generally 3/8" to 1/2" shorter before firing.

On the extended magazine tubes, there are others here who can be far more helpful than myself so I'm goin to let them take it from here!

hello. welcome aboard.

here's the info rossignol was telling you about.
http://homestudy.ihea.com/ammo/13shell.htm
rjMJK.gif

also here is some good reading material fyi...
http://www.chuckhawks.com/intro_gauges.htm

hope it helps you out...

firfyghter said:
I tried calling Customer Service, but my English is too proper for a english second language customer service rep.

are you talking about mossberg reps? because they usually are very informative and not demeaning at all.

I knew nothing about shotguns either and took the FrontSight 4-day tactical shotgun class. The best advice I can offer is to not worry about how many rounds your gun holds and leave the factory stock on there. The more rounds in the tube, the heavier your gun will be and the less-accurate you will be.

I had an ATI stock on my gun for the class and returned it for a full refund as soon as I got home. My shoulder didn't hurt at all, but my face was banged up. Other Mossberg owners in my class with ATI stocks weren't as lucky and their faces were either severly bruised or bloody by the end of the class. The pistol grip ends up being awkward and clumsy and will slow you down. The instructor even warned us at the beginning that the pistol grips and ATI stocks would be a problem for us and he was right.

it's probably because you and your class were not holding it correctly. i have shot at least 100 rounds with mine. and not once did i get a black n blue spot on my face.

ripjack13 said:
it's probably because you and your class were not holding it correctly. i have shot at least 100 rounds with mine. and not once did i get a black n blue spot on my face.

Man I have quit arguing this point. Works for some and not for others. Some people just can’t adapt to this style stock and therefore they usually put out a blanket statement that no one should ever waist there time with one. I am glad I march to my own drum and tried one for myself because I love my adjustable lop recoil reducing pistol grip stock. No problem reaching the safety, no problem reaching the action release if you have big hands it works fine if you have little hands bummer for you, and no problem with cheek slap. I have shot it prone, kneeling, bench and off hand. Slow fire and as fast as I can empty the gun. Got around 1000 rounds through it since I have had the stock

EDIT: WECOME ! :D

XH2Oskier said:
I knew nothing about shotguns either and took the FrontSight 4-day tactical shotgun class. The best advice I can offer is to not worry about how many rounds your gun holds and leave the factory stock on there. The more rounds in the tube, the heavier your gun will be and the less-accurate you will be.

I had an ATI stock on my gun for the class and returned it for a full refund as soon as I got home. My shoulder didn't hurt at all, but my face was banged up. Other Mossberg owners in my class with ATI stocks weren't as lucky and their faces were either severly bruised or bloody by the end of the class. The pistol grip ends up being awkward and clumsy and will slow you down. The instructor even warned us at the beginning that the pistol grips and ATI stocks would be a problem for us and he was right.
Which generation ATI stock were you using?

oli700 said:
ripjack13 said:

Man I have quit arguing this point. Works for some and not for others. Some people just can’t adapt to this style stock and therefore they usually put out a blanket statement that no one should ever waist there time with one. I am glad I march to my own drum and tried one for myself because I love my adjustable lop recoil reducing pistol grip stock. No problem reaching the safety, no problem reaching the action release if you have big hands it works fine if you have little hands bummer for you, and no problem with cheek slap. I have shot it prone, kneeling, bench and off hand. Slow fire and as fast as I can empty the gun. Got around 1000 rounds through it since I have had the stock

EDIT: WECOME ! :D

mine is even the first gen.stock. i LOVE it. you are correct again . i'm done too. but i will always try to help out. some how.....

I don't know what generation the stock was- it was whatever Badger Guns had in their inventory. Unfortunately, I returned it already, so I don't have that information. I went through more than 450 rounds over four days, including over 100 rounds of slug and buck. That is standard for that course. Take the two-day course and the outcome may be different, as you shoot significantly fewer rounds.

While your results may vary, the way Front Sight teaches their course, there was not a single person using the ATI stock in my class, that did not have some degree of discomfort in their face after the class ended. One woman had severe brusing before the class ended and an older gentleman's face was bloodied by the third day. My face was very sore, but not bruised. One of the other students was so upset by this, that he was taking names and contact information of everyone using the ATI stocks, to contact the company. The way I positioned my hand on the pistol grip also caused a lot of soreness in my middle finger, as it was constantly resting on the ridge, underneath the trigger guard. Those with smaller hands didn't have that problem

huh, well I cant dispute it because I have never shot an ATI stock but people say the same things about the Knoxx and that’s where I am coming from......all I am saying is people need to try things for themselves.....no one likes a sheep.

But if we want to continue this we should take it off this gentleman’s introduction thread....apologies to the OP

thread_direction_max600.gif

I have re-read this posting and I am still curious which model you purchased.

From what I can tell, you bought the gun that was advertised with 7+1 capacity that came with an installed Choate (+2) extenson tube already instaled. You removed this and added a Nordic Component (NC) extension tube (+2) and were expecting to go to 9+1 capacity but were still only able to hold 7+1. That would be exactly the case if I re-read this correctly. You removed the extended capacity tube already installed making the gun a 5+1. Then installed a different +2 capacity tube returning the guin back to its origional 7+1 capacity.

Without owning one, and only looking at the pictures online, it looks to me if you want greater than 5 in the tube, the gun comes with a plus 2 extension tube already installed. If I am correct on that then my above guess would also hold true.

Can anyone confirm that OFM sends a 930SPX with that extension installed factory?

Rossi has already covered the shell legnth question, so no need for beating that dead horse.

Then I would guess if you want to go to a 9+1 capacity, you would need to find a +4 extension tube. I would have to wonder what that would do the the overall feel of the gun when the mag tube sticks out farther than t barrel.

I've seen similar set up guns with a slightly longer mag tube extension than the barrel length, most commonly on competition guns and often combined with an extended choke tube too.

has he even been back here to read all this?

Back