• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Poly Choke

I have a Western Field pump, which is essentially a Mossberg 500. It has a poly choke on the bbl. I would like to shorten the bbl but would like to retain the poly choke. I don't know how the choke is attached to the bbl and apparently neither does Mossberg service know. Can a gunsmith remove the choke and reattach it to the shortened bbl ?

Not familiar with poly choke but most "external", adjustable chokes I've seen are soldered/brazed on.

You might consider visiting a competent gunsmith and see if he/she could thread/machine the shortened barrel for a popular choke style.

OK, thanks Bobster. It's about 140 mile round trip for me to get to a good gunsmith; so I wanted to know the feasibility before making the trip. I don't want screw in chokes. If the polychoke can't be saved, I will just leave the shortened barrel with cylinder bore. Yes, I guess I could buy a short barrel, but the cost is more than I paid for this old gun.

You also might want to give Havlin (636) 937-6401 a call.

They are the pros when it comes to older Mossbergs.

Back