• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Prioritizing accessories for 590A1 !

Accessorizing the 590A1 item # 51660

• Heatshield

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Ghost Rings

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Bayonet and lug

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Hogue stock

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Parkerize ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Side Saddle

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Flashlight

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Rails?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good Afternoon Mossberg Nation !

This is RBA in Southern California and I am glad to be here ! For those I haven't met yet, I just Drossed' a 590A1 item # 51660 and I will be picking her up in 10 days. Yes, California is far removed from the rest of the Nation but I do my part each day to get broad cross section of my fellow Californians aware and involved on the " right " side of the 2A. K, nuff for now.

This Post is purely about the link below. My current plans are to get a Hogue LOP stock, M4 bayonet, side saddle, and Ghost ring sights. " no plans currently to put a flashlight on there but you never know what might happen. "

Just wanted to get the Mossberg Nation's thoughts on each of those accessories in terms of the quality of suppliers, price points, reliability, overall value, and practicality for my Philosophy of Use. Yes, I will be using the 590A1 as an SD gun. That is too say I want her to help protect my home but if necessary then I want to see her be able to Defend me and mine under arduous circumstances. Yes, a SHTF scenario which can never be predicted. They just happen randomly which is why Human beings get caught off guard.

That be it, Mossbergers. Take a look at my new Shotgun in 10 days!

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotgun ... Nodes=2274

Also please partake in the poll below! What accessory / option would be your priority in this particular configuarion of the A1 ? Thanks Gentlemen and Ladies.

Cordially yours,

Right to Bear Arms ( I'm in Surf crazy Orange County so sometimes I just feel like being immersed in the Firearms world that we all adore. _

I picked the Hogue stock because if the shotgun isn't comfortable and natural to hold, it won't be fun to shoot. That's how it was for me and that was the first thing I changed.

carbinemike said:
I picked the Hogue stock because if the shotgun isn't comfortable and natural to hold, it won't be fun to shoot. That's how it was for me and that was the first thing I changed.

Thanks Carbine Mike, and agreed. Have you seen or know of any aftermarket stocks with the " SpeedFeed " feature?...

RBA

Welcome - if you check out the link to my store I have some 590
Accessories. I also have a large order from Mesa Tactical coming in Monday. Have rails, stocks, and saddle options both in stock and coming in Monday.

I don't know of any aftermarket stocks with the speed feed. I was interested in that too when I was looking for my 590. After I realized the stock would need changed for the length of pull I was glad I didn't spend extra for it. Since I never had a speed feed I can't say for sure but looking where the rounds are stored I think you could reload quicker from a side saddle and/or a shell band on the stock.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

When those 10 longs days are over don't forget some pics too.

I have the speedfeed stock and stand 6'-6" so the lop works for me, I usually carry slugs in the stock and buck in the side saddle. Too bad Limbsaver doesn't make a recoil pad to fit the speedfeed stock, that would set it off just right for me.
I added the Aimpro heatshield, Mesa sidesaddle, S&J magazine extension and drilled and tapped the barrel band for a GI web sling.

I picked the side saddle first... extra firepower strapped to the gun is always a plus! But a good hogue or speedfeed stock with a shorter LOP is definitely a must in order to make the shotgun more comfortable to shoot and easier to handle (if you so need it). I didn't need my heat shield, but I surely like my A1 with it!!! I could have also done without the bayonet lug... but since I have one I figured I might as well be able to utilize it if I so choose too. Lol here's mine with every one of the above mentioned accessories except for ghost ring sights :D

DSC_0281_zps27d93ac8.jpg

Thank AKSavanaman and Long Knives

@ LongKnives: Nice to hear you're utilizing the SpeedFeed feature. I appreciate your sharing your deployment preferences. I would love to see the SpeedFeed in a shorter LOP aftermarket stock. I the Aftermarket catches on to that..

@ AKSavanaman: Gorgeous Shotgun. Thanks for sharing the photograph. Tell me some details on the brands for all those accessories, pls. I especially want to know more about the sling and saddle. Apparently everything has done well for your shottie.

RBA

Right to Bear Arms said:
@ AKSavanaman: Gorgeous Shotgun. Thanks for sharing the photograph. Tell me some details on the brands for all those accessories, pls. I especially want to know more about the sling and saddle. Apparently everything has done well for your shottie.

RBA

Thanks man, I'm rather fond of it myself :D mhhh as far as accessories here's what I've got:
Elzetta mount and ZMF-L60 light, Meprolight tritium sight, Aimpro heat shield, velcro side saddle from 3gungear ( pretty much just industrial velcro) with ESTAC carts, Hogue 12" LOP stock. The sling is a 2 to 3 point convertible sling from Blackhawk.

A little disclaimer though... I don't think you need any of these items for the 590 to be a good HD or all around shotgun... some of it is practical... other stuff is "tacticool". I have tried some different 3 rail forends with lots of grip accessories and ended up hating everyone... the stock corncob ended up being the best fit for me. We just give you data points to compare to, but in the end... what fits your gun and your shooting style is what works ;)

I didnt vote because I think the first thing is buying (and shooting) enough ammo so that you know your shotgun like your tongue knows your teeth.

nitesite said:
I didnt vote because I think the first thing is buying (and shooting) enough ammo so that you know your shotgun like your tongue knows your teeth.

I agree with Nitesite on this with the exception of the LOP. Shooting my 590A1 when new was not an enjoyable experience until I swapped to the Hogue shorter LOP stock. After that, I shot it quite a bit and made some incremental changes later on.

carbinemike~ I think we are VERY CLOSE in our thinking. The 12" Hogue would be my next priority, and a good light/mount third. I tried to pick the ONE thing for a first purchase and that was to accumulate some training ammo. Even birdshot to shoot at close ranges under five yards!

aksavannaman~ Are you rocking the optional thumbscrew lock on the mount? And what tailcap switch did you end up going with? There are so many great choices and options!

nitesite said:

My shoulder felt it the next day after my first trip to the range witht he 590... blew through 3 value boxes of Federal and an extra 50 of slugs and 00. With a few exceptions, no accasories can subsitute for training and knowing how she shoots.

nitesite said:
aksavannaman~(You can call me AK ;) ) Are you rocking the optional thumbscrew lock on the mount? And what tailcap switch did you end up going with? There are so many great choices and options!

Yup, optional thumbscrew was a must cause I use the flashlight at work (sometimes I wish I had the 590 as well :D ) and I went with the Hi/Low tailcap.

You literally can get the Hogue Stock, velcro side saddle, and tritium bead for less than $150 in one shot.

The thing thats gonna get you is the light. That's where the money is gonna be spent.

Anything past that... is just want over need in my opinion.

Good Evening Water Monkey & Nitesite,

Thanks for your insights ! I appreciate it. When it comes to my brand new A1 every detail is important. Budget to purchase the weapon and accessories, philosophy of use, quality of aftermarket manufacturers, overall feeling of the weapon, etc.

@WM : Interesting note on the Tritium sight. I never thought of it. So you're not a Bayonet guy, eh? Personally, I find it easy to see myself using the A1 in an all hope is lost scenario. Hey, it's the least I can do when a Perfectly responsible decent human being like myself is being attacked by a Horde of Zombies! lol.

@ Nitesite: Without a doubt, training and experience trumps most if not all accessories. A nice dose of reality is good too. We all have to know which " tools " to use for which " jobs. " Basic Martial Arts tenant.

@ AKSavanaman: Let me guess. It's a Scientific Wild Guess. Your community is having an Unlikely heat wave? Am I right? If so, I'm jealous because the 2nd is lived and breathed there. Also, let's shoot some Automat Kalashnikov sometime. : )

Right to Bear Arms said:
@ AKSavanaman: Let me guess. It's a Scientific Wild Guess. Your community is having an Unlikely heat wave? Am I right? If so, I'm jealous because the 2nd is lived and breathed there. Also, let's shoot some Automat Kalashnikov sometime. : )

You up here as well? Yes I would certainly call 79F unseasonable :lol: but we enjoyed every day of it!

aksavanaman said:
Right to Bear Arms said:

You up here as well? Yes I would certainly call 79F unseasonable :lol: but we enjoyed every day of it!

Negative Ghost Rider, I'm in Orange County, CA. But, Alaska's heat wave got some press on the Evening New with Brian Williams on Libby MSNBC this week. Further, the Last Frontier is Alaska so your Avatar caption gave me a decent guess. Alaska captures the attention of many in the lower 48. Ya know? She speaks to us like an Adventure we all want to take before we die but frequently never do. The news of the heat wave grabbed my attention since so many of our brothers and sisters are up there and carry on the tradition of Firearms ownership the way it should be carried on, as a way of life. ( More later in the appropriate thread. )

What I haven't figured out is if your Username utilizes AK as Alaska or Automat Kalashnikov a platform that I am a fan of.

@ Everyone: Looks like the Hogue Stock is in the lead for being the highest priority accessory for the A1. For clarification, I voted for the bayonet because I like having options and in a combat situation the Shotgun by definition is more of a CQB weapon. In close quarters / close range anything can happen. I like knowing I can stick a bogie with no skill whatsoever. Thankfully, I have a degree of understanding of blunt, edged, and tipped weapons.

Speaking to the necessity of a " proper fitting " stock, yes. The meat and potatoes of the Mossberg is the shells that she fires and you might as well be comfortable if you're going to use it.

RBA

Right to Bear Arms said:
Alaska captures the attention of many in the lower 48. Ya know? She speaks to us like an Adventure we all want to take before we die but frequently never do.
RBA

Not to hijack the thread, but yes... this place definitely spoke to before I got up here. I don't even remember when I decided I wanted to go to Alaska, but I knew that at some point in my CG career i wanted to come to the 49'th state. Now that I'm here, I don't think I'm leaving... so much so that I'm contemplating leaving the service to settle in AK.

And yes, guns are an everyday thing of life in this state. There's not a single person I know that doesn't own a firearm up here... we use them for recreation, hunting, protection (99% from the non-human threats) and business.

While I'm reluctant to tell everyone to come visit... because I like our miniscule population density :D , I think it's a must see and experience type of place. You can talk and read about... but until you see it with your own eyes it doesn't compare! RBA... sounds like you're in the wrong state my friend, and I certainly hope you make it up north sometime!

AK

Right to Bear Arms said:
Good Evening Water Monkey
Thanks for your insights ! I appreciate it. When it comes to my brand new A1 every detail is important. Budget to purchase the weapon and accessories, philosophy of use, quality of aftermarket manufacturers, overall feeling of the weapon, etc.

@WM : Interesting note on the Tritium sight. I never thought of it. So you're not a Bayonet guy, eh? Personally, I find it easy to see myself using the A1 in an all hope is lost scenario. Hey, it's the least I can do when a Perfectly responsible decent human being like myself is being attacked by a Horde of Zombies! lol.

When you actually get some training you'll find out less is more.

I am by no means an expert. Far from it. But I find myself to be practical and as a LONG time martial artist and fighting full contact for over 15 years keeping things simple which requires less thought process is more condusive to the radical and ever changing role of SHTF type anything.

Let me take a look at a few things from my perspective... A Civilian:

Bayonet/heat shield:

I'd be lying if I said it didn't look bad ass. It does. But that's where it basically ends for me on this.

If I spent money to shorten the stock to bring the overall length of the weapon down for easier clearing my house why would I ADD length to it with a bayonet. Also why would I want to have added weight at the distal end of the weapon when I can keep most of the weight between my hands to properly support it and gives me less fatigue for extended use.

If I literally had time to fix a bayonet I should have been using that time to grab a load bearing vest with extra ammo and/or getting my side arm for back up.

I'm wondering how many people were actually bayonetted during some of our recent natural disasters when looting was going on..... Something to ask yourself as to the practicality of this.

Ghost Rings:

I have a shotgun with ghost rings and a shotgun with a bead. Hands down the bead is faster than the ghost ring in a HD situation when acquiring your target has to be fast. The ghost ring advantage, in my opinion, is at distances past 30 yards with slugs. You really have to ask yourself.... will you be using this weapon for extended distances based on your topography and population density in your area?

Back