• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Problem loading Mossberg 500 410 gauge

ReGaL

I'm rather new to shotguns so hopefully my terms and explanations will make sense to you...

My brother has a Mossberg 500E in a 410 gauge. He let me borrow it and when I took it to the range I started having an issue with feeding the shell into the chamber.

The shells are coming out of the magazine tube just fine, but when I try to rack it forward the shells are being pushed to the left just enough to catch on the edge of the opening into the chamber and will not allow the shell to go in. It also happens if I drop just a single round into the receiver opening on the side.

The only way I can shoot the gun now is if I manually place the shell into the chamber then rack the pump forward.

Again, I know little about the actual functioning of a shotgun, but does anyone have a suggestion on what may be causing the misalignment when feeding?

Report this post

Sorry to hear your having a problem.

Sounds like the cartridge interrupter or the cartridge stop. This has been an ongoing problem with the 500's lately.

Take a look at this thread and you will see what I mean.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8835

If you can't resolve it yourself I would send our Mossberg contact an email.
Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Keep us posted on the problem.

Thanks Old Mossy...my problem isn't that the shells aren't coming out of the magazine tube...that works fine. It's that they won't go into the chamber...the shells are hitting the left side of the chamber hole.

ReGaL said:
Thanks Old Mossy...my problem isn't that the shells aren't coming out of the magazine tube...that works fine. It's that they won't go into the chamber...the shells are hitting the left side of the chamber hole.

bent elevator???

Any chance you can post a pic ?

I did a good cleaning of the gun even though it has very few rounds through it. I had to buy some more 410 shells...only had 1 left. The only shells they had were 2 1/2". That size seems to be working fine, but the single 3" shell that I have still jams when I try to rack it.

If I shove on the elevator just a little from the bottom it will then line up the 3" and allow it to load into the chamber...so it appears that the issue is definitely elevator related.

I'm going to keep working on it, but I am glad that I can at least shoot the 2 1/2" shells now.

I'll try to get a couple of pics with the 3" shell posted just to see if anything jumps out to any of you.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. Glad you are able to use the shorter shells.

I got the shotgun back to the range yesterday and went through a box of 2 1/2" shells...not a single issue.
For its designated purposes, HD and at the range, the 2 1/2" shells are fine. At some point I may pick up a few 3" just to see if they now work after the cleaning I did, but I'm no longer frustrated about not being able to use it at all.

ReGaL said:
I got the shotgun back to the range yesterday and went through a box of 2 1/2" shells...not a single issue.
For its designated purposes, HD and at the range, the 2 1/2" shells are fine. At some point I may pick up a few 3" just to see if they now work after the cleaning I did, but I'm no longer frustrated about not being able to use it at all.

Keep us posted.

Back