• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Project "GLADIOUS"

diyguy

.270 WIN
I was contacted and asked to make a sheath by forum member jgwills. After a bit od messaging back and forth and since I had never made a sheath for a sword before I decided to take on the job. He asked me to make a leather sheath for his Cold Steel “Gladious” sword. (see link)

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/97GMS/GLADIUS_MACHETE.aspx

At nearly 2 pounds its an impressive piece but sadly it comes in a canvas and plastic sheath. He wanted something a little more in keeping with the era. Right away I could see all sorts of potential for Celtic stamping and ornate carving but he would hear nothing of the sort. He wanted it plain, an everyday foot soldier look to it. I was bummed out but it’s his sword and I have to respect that.

The sheath that cane with the sword and the typical wrap and snap like so many knife sheaths have but modern snaps would also not have been in keeping with the time period so I needed to find another way to keep the sword in the sheath with the leather I had on hand. I am using 8 Oz tooling leather (about an 1/8 of an inch thick.)

sheath1_zpsaaf14bf3.jpg

Step one is to create a design and then cut out all the pieces of leather with a razor knife.

sheath2_zpse4e53b3f.jpg

All the pieces are positioned and tacked in place with contact cement so they don’t shift while hand stitching.

sheath3_zpsc56cffc9.jpg

The welt is sandwiched between the front and rear portions of the sheath and is equal to the thickness of the sword blade otherwise a blade this long would get pinched/trapped in the leather and the blade edge would cut all the stitching.

sheath4_zpsf7ddbef4.jpg

sheath5_zps41b8de0c.jpg

sheath7_zps57653349.jpg

The features of the front face are stamped and stitched since it would be impossible to do so after the front and rear of the sheathe joined.

sheath6_zps23f0e07e.jpg

Then all the stitching holes are stamped through all the layers.

sheath8_zps5c9e3985.jpg

Then lots and lots of time stitching by hand. (and with a pliers because this sheath is over a half inch thick to prevent that needle point from coming though the leather)

sheath9_zps856e4671.jpg

4f18ccf3-e12e-4046-9e3e-d8b5ad4d5a5d_zpsd980119d.jpg

After stitching the final trim is done with a razor knife.

e613e780-de36-462c-8ede-210427017a73_zps35e268aa.jpg

Then the outer edges are beveled and wetted and slicked round with a deer antler.
b7e476af-559e-4f30-ab45-8206fca1b3e1_zps13f9a6a5.jpg

The sword will be kept in the sheath with the two integral leather straps but feeding the straps though the openings will be tough so I tapered some wood blocks and wetted the leather to mold and lock in a shape. The wood blocks are tapered to a zero thickness that allows the straps to be fed in but still afford the friction at the lead out side to hold the straps securely.

sheath93_zpsf2b621a8.jpg

sheath94_zpscb71afab.jpg

So far so good. Time for a trial fit.

54be1ca3-fd7e-40f0-893d-77a96bc7b164_zps6c0119a8.jpg

596e04dd-0b90-458f-b0ab-140fdceb93a7_zps4104fefb.jpg

sheath98_zps79b56fcf.jpg

Im leaving town tomorrow to continue working on the barn rebuild but when I return I will stain the leather and treat it with neatsfoot oil and mink oil to waterproof it.

I was thinking a dark stain on the double thicknesses at the tip, in the middle and at the sheath opening and a lighter colored stain everywhere else but that is to the sword owner to weigh in on perhaps he is not into two tone and wants it a single color. I was thinking lighter brown and darker black/brown.

Also he asked that the handle of the sword be wrapped in leather. I would dye it one of the colors used for the sheath.

Right away I could see all sorts of potential for Celtic stamping and ornate carving but he would hear nothing of the sort. He wanted it plain, an everyday foot soldier look to it. I was bummed out but it’s his sword and I have to respect that.

54be1ca3-fd7e-40f0-893d-77a96bc7b164_zps6c0119a8.jpg

I was thinking a dark stain on the double thicknesses at the tip, in the middle and at the sheath opening and a lighter colored stain everywhere else but that is to the sword owner to weigh in on perhaps he is not into two tone and wants it a single color. I was thinking lighter brown and darker black/brown.

596e04dd-0b90-458f-b0ab-140fdceb93a7_zps4104fefb.jpg

Also he asked that the handle of the sword be wrapped in leather. I would dye it one of the colors used for the sheath.

So far this is exceeding my expectations Ron. When you said you had a brilliant idea for retaining the blade I had zero idea what you had in mind but I had a gut feeling it was worth the gamble. I'm glad I did. Based on this progress report alone I'm glad I chose you as the right person for the job. With all of the pictures from your previous knife and holster work I had a hunch you were.

I can't thank you enough and I'm sorry there wasn't any ornate stampings or anything on this one............ ;) Assuming you were inclined to do possibly another one down the pipe that might not be completely out of the question. I've got another blade that I'm not too excited about its included sheath either. As for this one I'm floored already and its not even finished. I'm inclined to agree the two tone leather color would be killer so go for it.

Again I can't thank you enough and folks he probably isn't charging me anywhere near what he should have for this project. I was initially going to have this made in kydex but I'm glad leather was suggested as an alternative, thanks LES.

Especially thanks to diyguy for this update report and for taking on the job.

Cheers
Jeremy

Last edited:
So diyguy attempted to wrap the handle portion based on a picture of someone else's I had found on the web that I had liked alot. He wasn't exactly thrilled with the end result. After some back and forth I've decided against it.

I really liked the way it it looked but functionality and longevity wise I see his argument against it. He had an alternative in mind and I'm inclined to agree with him now on going that direction as it will be more durable in the long haul for the handle wrap.

As I said before so far this project has exceeded my expectations and so glad I've opted for this route. Its going to be killer looking and very functional. A very nice addition to my battle rattle kit. I couldn't be happier.

Going to take pictures at a local landscaper/quarry for a rocky boulder background. This thing turned out SWEET!

I wanted the sheath to have a distressed/antique sort of feel to it. I did a little mixology with denatured alcohol and a few colors.
sheath99_zps02170681.jpg

After drying I gave the sheath a few applications of warmed mink oil to waterproof.
sheath991_zps56d6fe0d.jpg

Then I turned to the grip and wrapping it with leather.
sheath997_zps71a7c6fd.jpg

sheath996_zpsb41bbb91.jpg

sheath998_zps7be27cdb.jpg

sheath999_zpsa36d3456.jpg

Project Gladious is finished and ready to return to its owner.
sheath9991_zpsa31dd538.jpg

d42b4d7c-f0c4-4b6c-9d1a-34f3304888d9_zpsbb6c4087.jpg

sheath995_zps50a56dbe.jpg

sheath992_zpsb284136d.jpg

d1426524-142f-4d87-b487-5c4dbafaab0a_zpsc7e55094.jpg

THAT IS EFFING AWESOME!

Sorry your barn material wasn't delivered but I'm glad you had an alternative to occupy your weekend with :D I'm just floored with the result. I can't wait till I have it back in hand.

You sir did a fantastic job. Please post up on any other forums you frequent. This needs to be shown off.

If your inclined I might be a repeat customer in the near future for few other projects if thats ok?

Again I can't thank you enough and the wait for the BBT is gonna be difficult lol.

Outstanding Write-up!!! :) I learned a great deal about sheath making!

Is that the actual blade, or a mock-up? It almost looks plastic, but maybe it is the pics. What material is the handle made of?

PS: great functional work of art you created! :D

Last edited:
Bobster. I had the blade cerakoted in Magpul FDE and the handle was cerakoted in Burnt Bronze. The sheath is just a perfect companion to it. He dropped it in the mail this morning. I'm stoked and now the hurry up a wait part begins lol. :D

It arrived today. I've been wearing it around the house for the past couple of hours lol.

Ron. I am extremely pleased. Again I can't say thank you enough. It will serve me well.

Back