• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Proper Loading Procedure

Chris1964

Copper BB
Hello all

I just bought my 930SPX and im new to autoloaders. I have a question about proper loading procedures since the manual is a bit vague. I want to load the 7 shells in the extension tube but for safty reasons i dont feel the need to keep a round chamered. Cant i just pull back that charge handle and release it to chamber a round in a hurry ?. the maunual says to:
1. Lock the action open by pulling the operating handle rearward.
2. Load the 1st round thru the ejection port located on the right side of the reciever. the round can be inserted directly into the chamber or placed on the top of the elevator.
3. With the safty on press the bolt release until the action releases.
4. the action will close under spring force, chambering the live round.

In the middle of the night in a emergency i dont want to go thru all that BS. Sorry for asking a silly question. im used to pump action which seems less complicated. all the videos on you tube address "ghost loading" and thats not what im looking for.

You absolutely can just pull the charging handle back to load from the magazine, no worries!

I'm not positive, but as most models are advertised as bein a (x)+1 gun, whether 5+1 or 8+1 ... that loading procedure will give you the advertised quantity, so its likely for that reason that the manual describes loading as it does...

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

I actually keep mine in the 7+1 ghost loaded storage during the night (7 in the mag , 1 floating on the elevator, bolt closed and firing pin released so indicator is down).

This allows for maximum capacity without one right in the chamber and allows for the intimidation factor of slapping back the bolt and letting one chamber without losing a round from the mag, reducing capacity.
(Imo it sounds every bit as bad a as a pump).

I've run this ghost loaded method through its paces at the range multiple times with no failures or malfunctions...

My ammo choice is (1) 3" magnum blindside #2 round floating ghost followed by (5) 2n3/4" #4 federal rounds, (1) 2n3/4" low recoil 00 pd federal round and wrapped up with (1) 3" magnum 15 shot 00 sellier and bellot in case it's come to that point.

I live in a trailer though so low penetration rounds are ideal, but if worst comes to worst and I've already lit off 6 rounds, double ought buck is gonna be what saves my hide, more precise with a versa tight round first followed by a, "I don't give a flip anymore" 15 shot magnum round.

Back