• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Push forward vs pulling back on the slide while shooting

TravisN

Copper BB
I have two Mossberg 500s, a 20 gauge that I love and have never had an issue with and a 12 gauge that seems to bind up all the time. The 12 gauge has gone back to Mossberg twice and they can't replicate any issue. I think I finally figured out the issue with the 12 gauge tonight while dry firing it. If I apply forward pressure to the slide while firing it, I can then pull the slide back and cycle the action with no issue. However, if I pull back on the slide or even just barely hold it, it either binds completely or is very hard to pull back and cycle the action.

With the 20 gauge it doesn't matter what I do with my hand on the slide while I fire, the slide just releases, pulls back, and the action cycles. Both guns have had about the same number of rounds through them, so it doesn't seem to be an issue of getting worn in.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal? Is there something I can do to the 12 gauge to get it to work like the 20?

The Mossberg bolt locking lug by design will not unlock if theres rearward pressure on the forearm during fire, which is why the "push-pull" method of firing is suggested, and yes, completely normal ;)

Added benefit of push pull is recoil management... Your forward arm acts as a shock absorber, easing recoil on your shoulder.

Back