• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Quantity vs. quality for SHTF

Tom396

.30-06
This post will probably confirm my nut case status. :(

Do you consider the purchase of firearms and/or ammunition for the primary purpose of arming your friends/family/ neighbors in a post SHTF situation?

I have a Hi Point 40 cal. carbine. This evening, I attempted to convince she-who-must-be-obeyed that we ought to buy a Hi Point 40 cal. pistol. She said why, since she has a fantastic S&W M&P in .40 and I have a Shield in .40. I told her it was so that if the SHTF, we could give the pistol to some friend/family/neighbor and they could use the .40 cal. ammo and .40 cal. Hi Point magazines we have accumulated.

I also have more .22lr ammo than I could probably ever shoot (in a SHTF). Because of that, I bought a second 702 Plinkster. I could hand that rifle to darn near anyone, and they could probably convince most folks to leave them alone. I have shotguns, but some folks are literally afraid of firing those.

I have yet to buy and store any ammunition for a caliber I do not have a firearm for, but you never know... I have actually bought ammo for neighbors and friends that I do not use, just because I want them armed up.

Am I the only nut who does this and/or thinks about this? Take care. Tom Worthington

I have yet to buy and store any ammunition for a caliber I do not have a firearm for, but you never know... I have actually bought ammo for neighbors and friends that I do not use, just because I want them armed up.

Am I the only nut who does this and/or thinks about this? Take care. Tom Worthington

I have been known to buy a gun because I had an ample supply of ammo for it--something to think about! ;) And/or when the SHTF, extra ammo can be used in a barter/trade sitch. Lead will be more valuable than gold! :p

No, you're not a "nut" Tom, you're an eNthUsiasT! :D

That's partly why I've gotten into reloading, I can stick up on components cheaper than loaded ammo. I would like to build several more plain jane AR'S and maybe pick up a few PAP, or WASR AK's. Then at least you can cannibalize one to fix others. And I would have no recourse to hand one to someone, so long as I'm 100% certain they will be with me, not against me.

Sorry, but I disagree here.

It's not my responsibility to arm anyone else aside from maybe my close and/or immediate family if they needed it.

If they don't own a gun now, giving somebody one when meteors are falling out of the sky is probably not the best time to give someone a crash course.

At best, the neighbor may would thank you, at worst, you'll be defending yourself/property from your own gun. Whether by their hand, or from someone who has taken it from them because they didn't know how or just didn't want to use it.

Now if it's a prolonged shtf and my neighbor or friends needed a handful of shotgun shells or something, I may would do it.

But not until they're proved their worth and even then would still probably depend on their past actions. I don't like many of my neighbors now, and times are good now. I'm certain that it's only going to go downhill from there.

Family can have guns and ammo.
Plenty to go around for them.

Neighbors all know we have guns and dogs. If they aren't prepared, then to bad!!!!
We may protect them but they best be bringing something of value to the party.
Who knows, if they bring something really good, our guns may just take it and send them on their way ;)

Dont like most of my neighbors!

Yea, I'm with John and Lenny....my neighbors have their own guns and ammo. However I'm not sure about the new neighbor that just moved in...
I should have more ammo.....

Last edited:
If it comes right down to it, trading is a fair way to help both yourself and others.

If my neighbors aren't armed... that's their problem. No effing way I'm trading bullets for bartered goods. Those bullets could be used against me.

I think I have been blessed with good and like minded neighbors. In fact, in a SHTF situation, I can imagine myself leaning more on them then they on me.

One thing is for sure. If the SHTF lasts more than a year, I do not expect to survive. I would just like to make a good accounting of myself. Take care. Tom Worthington

I like things that share ammo, Marlin 1894s 44 magnum and a ruger RedHawk. Glock 19 and beretta cx4 Storm, ruger 10/22 and browning buck mark. I'm not bugging out, I'm bugging in. I live in a concrete tilt up warehouse with roof access. My situation is prepared, others, most likely not so much. Quality over quantity.
I have way more then I need personally for a shtf scenario, and would be more then willing to let close friends in to help me cover all bases, but, as said before, you better bring something to the table.

I've bought the same calibers as friends so we can share brass & re-loading equipment, and such.
But nothing specifically with an eye toward the SHTF.

So much depends on which form it comes in.

Air filters could be as important as bullets.

Water filters...

It might not start with a bang.

^ That is one of the best posts the internet has ever seen. So much truth there.

You know what would trade well without being able to be used against you? Cigarettes, rolling tobacco, tubes or papers, disposable lighters, batteries, alcohol, first aid stuff, canned food, candy and chocolate, etc...

I'm thinking more of the immediate aftermath. Feminine hygiene stuff would be good too.

Tube of vagasil could be worth more than a gallon of good bourbon. :eek:

^ That is one of the best posts the internet has ever seen. So much truth there.

That's way too much credit buddy. Those were not original thoughts.

(Now the vagasil....yeah, the ladies will thank me for that one.)

Back