• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month. November 2014

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Home Defense. Handgun or Shotgun?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

Both are available but a HG is my choice. Smaller, more convenient, more maneuverable in the confines of a house, can carry it whenever you're awake. Unless there is one in every room, a SG can be a burden to carry around. It can't be everywhere you are all the time as a HG can be.

Nothing wrong with a SG, especially if you have a "safe room" to fall back on. Good for night time defense if readily available, i.e. next to your bed.

handgun on me at home and my wife has a go to handgun. When I'm asleep shotgun is close by.

Idea is to fight to a designated safe location with the handgun.

"or" ??????

All of the above plus (in no specific order) AR-15, machete, butter knife, chihuahua, longbow, plastic spork......

It all depends on where in the house I am at the time. I will not be any more specific than that.

I guess my natural default is a handgun.

But give me 30-seconds to analyze my situation and that choice could evolve into something else entirely, if something else is more appropriate.

Mike and Dave, I like your lines of thinking.....:cool:

One needs to be able to adapt to a situation, very few things in life play out like we anticipate or would like. ;-D

Would have to say of the two choices above, the shotgun. Only because the shotgun is the most readily available to me...marginally easier access. With our "safe storage" laws...makes using any firearm for home/self defense very precarious at best. Ammo and firearm must be locked up separately and handguns are sooo heavily restricted here. So, both from a legal and logistical standpoint...not cool.

So, I have to say overall...whatever I can get my hands on is the top of the list!! Yay Canada!!:(

Thanks.

The M1A with a 20-rd magazine, or an AR-15, or a 590 8+1 always trumps the handgun but for grab and go it's still a handgun for me.

Rip.... sometime during this poll I'd like to hear what you are doing.

I would have to say shot gun, because it takes me a second or two get get my wits about me when I wake up I'm more comfortable with a shot gun

I'd have to go with the 12ga with 00 buck for the night time and sleeping. For the daytime, depends which room I'm in.;)

mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and 18 1/2 " barrel loaded with 00 buck in the shop, 930 spx in the master bedroom.

From what I can tell in the reports of home invasions, most people don't even have time to get out of the their chair. The door or window is kicked in and 2-3 armed perps rush into the house and are in your face in no time. SURPRISE! This is happening at all times of the day. You may not have time to get to another room. And from the lack of arrests it seems that they are getting more practice at taking down a home than the homeowners are at protecting it.

To me, for a firearm to be effective at deterrence it must be available immediately (within reach) at all times. If I started carrying a SG around the house my wife would have me committed...LOL. I do need to get a safe for the bedroom that is both secure AND quickly accessible in the dark when my brain is in la-la land. though.

From what I can tell in the reports of home invasions, most people don't even have time to get out of the their chair. The door or window is kicked in and 2-3 armed perps rush into the house and are in your face in no time. SURPRISE! This is happening at all times of the day. You may not have time to get to another room. And from the lack of arrests it seems that they are getting more practice at taking down a home than the homeowners are at protecting it.

To me, for a firearm to be effective at deterrence it must be available immediately (within reach) at all times. If I started carrying a SG around the house my wife would have me committed...LOL. I do need to get a safe for the bedroom that is both secure AND quickly accessible in the dark when my brain is in la-la land. though.
And that's why I carry at home.

Thanks.

The M1A with a 20-rd magazine, or an AR-15, or a 590 8+1 always trumps the handgun but for grab and go it's still a handgun for me.

Rip.... sometime during this poll I'd like to hear what you are doing.

I have an Ithaca model 37 as my Hd. Bead sight. With buckshot. And a big ol mirror at the foot of the steps that I can see what's what down the stairs. Motion detectors on my lights downstairs, so if there's any movement it goes on, so I don't need a spot light.
I also have various "stuff" through out the house, just in case....

Well really anything Bowie knife is more available than my Glock 22 but I bought my Moss 930 JM Pro for home defensive role, currently building the weapon system to how I want it.

For close quarters i.e inside a house NOTHING in my humble opinion beats a shotgun for stopping power. No pistol comes even close.

Where I live in Spain there is no legal requirement to have shotguns and .22 rifles locked up. There are no statutory security conditions for them whatsoever. Not so for pistols.

So my Glocks, Norincos and my Para Ordnance pistols have to be locked up in a safe when not in use.

My solution is a pretty good one. By the side of my bed is my AKKAR STINGER 12g pump action. It has a 14" barrel, and a pistol grip with a folding stock. It folds over the top of the receiver forming a carry handle.

So it's very little longer than a pistol for tight spaces but has the stopping power of five rounds of 12g 00 buck. I don't have to explain to the cops as to why it lives by the side of the bed because it doesn't have to be locked up.

Back