• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Questions about selling my Maverick 88

Mdsphoto

Copper BB
So, I won this shotgun at a motorcycle show a couple years ago and it has never been out of the box. The wife is interested in getting a 22 pistol for target shooting so I thought I would sell my M88 to pay for her gun. However, I've never sold a gun before and have no idea how to go about safely selling it. Additionally, I have no idea what I would sell it for. Is this still the most recent model ? What do you think a reasonable price for the gun might be?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Howdy @Mdsphoto .

Brand new Mav '88 models sell for between $199-$250. You could try using it as a trade in for the pistol you're looking at for your wife, but most dealers typically offer around 50% of the value on trade-ins. The fact that it's never been shot doesn't really matter much. Once a firearm is purchased by an individual, it's considered used and dealers will only consider paying used prices. Your best bet to get the most money out of it is to sell it to an individual. If you chose to go that route you just need to make sure that you proceed in accordance with all local and State laws...

There are a few ways you can sell it.

Pawn shops, consignment at gun stores, online through something like armslist.com ...

Pawn shops will only give about half it's value, consignment lets you set the price as well as online. If you sell online, you'll have to ship to an FFL in the buyers area so that cost is on you out of the sale price but the FFL is on the buyer. I'm not sure if there's a way to have the buyer do the FFL before hand?

I don't know there may some things I've not considered.

Hello and welcome to MO! I would recommend listing your shotgun on Armslist. Instructions on this process are on the website at www.Armslist.com
Armslist is a online marketplace for the sale of firearms. I would recommend trying to sell to someone within driving range (i.e meet up with him at a halfway point) so you can deliver in person. You don't need any paperwork or such unless you live in one of the crummy states that requires paperwork for private sales also. May I say they are full of the brown stinky stuff? If you do, you both could just drive into a better state and do the sale there.
Once you list online to get some exposure, I would also attend local gunshows looking to sell and post ads at local shops.
For a brand new 88, depending on model (defense, slug, general purpose, etc.) $225 to $240 is the going price for a factory gun. If you've made any modifications or such, you can mark up.
Most states don't require private sales be registered , but check yours to be sure.
Hope this helps! Joseph

Clarification: meeting the buyer yourself for private gives him the option to not have to fill out paperwork required were the firearm shipped to FFL dealer.

With what you will get for it as a used gun, even in a face-to-face private sale where you get the most possible for it, I would just keep it and save up the extra hundred+ dollars needed to get the wife her pistol.

IMHO every home should have a 12-ga pump shotgun kept in it.

I've bought and sold many guns from private parties here in FL. Although I don't believe in record keeping or background checks, ESPECIALLY "universal background checks", EVERYONE I have sold to has produced ID and not had a problem filling out a Bill of Sale. And I also provide ID voluntarily or when requested when I purchase.

Having a buyer's info is to cover my ass should the gun be used in a crime and traced back to me. "Here is the guy I sold it to..." This scenario has yet to happen, BTW... I'm sure the majority of buyer's you will deal with will not have a problem providing you their personal info. I would not sell to anyone who would NOT.

Also here in FL one can call in a gun's serial number to the FDLE to see if it is on the "stolen gun list". EDIT: what I meant to say is you can enter the ser. # on the webpage to check it. I have not called in a number although I'm sure you could...

Note that is against Federal law to sell a gun to someone from out of state without using a FFL. It IS legal in many states to ship a long gun (like the Maverick) in-state using USPS and don't let USPS tell you any differently...

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :) We also own OTHER model guns if you want to discuss...

Last edited:
I agree with nitesite. The 12 gauge shotgun is an indispensable tool. I recommend heading over to www.brownells.com and getting the high capacity/tactical kit.

I forgot to mention that while I am not supportive of FFLS, Bob is right. Never sell without getting a picture of the buyers license at minimum, and some personal info and be sure to provide him the same.

Bob, are you sure about that? I live in MN. You mean that when I go to the Fargo, ND gun show and buy privately, that's illegal?

I'd be very careful meeting up with an individual one on one.

There have been instances around here where sellers set up meets on local gun forums that turned out to be ambush robberies...

When I won the gun I saw some pictures of tactical conversions that I thought were very cool and something I was going to do. However, time and other family expenses put that on a back burner and then I forgot all about the gun tucked away in my closet. We also, don't have many places to fire a shot gun near us.

Thanks all for the great information, it is all very helpful. FYI, I live in Georgia, so I need to research my local laws, but GA is a very gun friendly state. But as mentioned the with shipping, FFL fees and the value of the gun a local sale would probably be the only way to go.

Thanks again for the suggestions and recommendations.

Bob, are you sure about that? I live in MN. You mean that when I go to the Fargo, ND gun show and buy privately, that's illegal?

The following is quoted from this article in Wikipedia:

"Main article: Federal Firearms License

The Gun Control Act mandated the licensing of individuals and companies engaged in the business of selling firearms. This provision effectively prohibited the direct mail order of firearms (except antique firearms) by consumers and mandated that anyone who wants to buy a gun in an interstate transaction from a source other than a private individual must do so through a federally licensed firearms dealer. The Act also banned unlicensed individuals from acquiring handguns outside their state of residence. The interstate purchase of long guns (rifles and shotguns) was not impeded by the Act so long as the seller is federally licensed and such a sale is allowed by both the state of purchase and the state of residence.

Private sales between residents of two different states are also prohibited without going through a licensed dealer, except for the case of a buyer holding a Curio & Relic license purchasing a firearm that qualifies as a curio or relic.

Private sales between unlicensed individuals who are residents of the same state are allowed under federal law so long as such transfers do not violate the other existing federal and state laws. While current law mandates that a background check be performed if the seller has a federal firearms license, private parties living in the same state are not required to perform such checks under federal law. However, state laws can prohibit such sales.

A person who does not have a Federal Firearms License may not be in the business of buying or selling firearms. Individuals buying and selling firearms without a federal license must be doing so from their own personal collection.

Under the Gun Control Act, a federally licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or collector shall not sell or deliver any rifle or shotgun or ammunition for rifle or shotgun to any individual less than 18 years of age, nor any handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any individual less than 21 years of age.[13]

Gunsmith and Factory Repair Exception

While the Gun Control Act prohibits the direct mail-ordering of firearms, a person may ship a gun via contract carrier (such as United Parcel Service-UPS, United States Postal Service or FedEx) to a gunsmith (who has an FFL) or the gunmaker's factory for repairs or modification. After the repair work is done, the gunsmith or the factory can ship the gun directly back to the customer.
"

Emphasis mine--this info is from the GCA 1968 page and it mirrors info you can find on the ATF website...

Glad we could be of service, photo.

Thanks for the info Bob. My guess is that this is one of those little known and even less enforced laws. Makes sense. Gun laws, while touted as effective in stopping crime (which they're not) are some of the least enforced laws out there. Visit www.gunfacts.info its a wealth of information.

Back