What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

aksavanaman said:
Nice report Monkey! I've been thinking about a CCW gun... As none of my current handguns fit that roll. This looks like a good option!

Yeah really happy with this firearm.

I had to detail strip her last night. Sand from the pistol course was all inside the parts and the trigger was gritty.

3 pins holds everything in place, cleaned it up real nice inside, oiled some springs, cleaned out the polymer frame, reassembled (which wasn't as terrible as I thought). Now she's ready to rock again.

My only gripe.... S&W parts are impossible to get. Even the routine maint parts like springs S&W doesn't sell on their site and I dont know any online store that sells them for the Shield. I'm going to talk to a LGS and see if I can order through them.

No all shields have a safety.

That being said I never engage the safety and during my retention exercise with someone tugging at my pistol as hard as they can while it's in the holster the safety never engaged after I inspected it following the exercise. The safety is pretty recessed in the polymer and you have to be actually determined to engage or disengage the safety with your thumb.

Your other option would be to remove the safety yourself. It's actually extremely easy once you tap out the sear block. The safety slides off the block.

Groups from my Ruger SR9 yesterday. While zeroing the laser and practicing with sights.

3 full mags of Freedom reloads
10 rounds of Hornady Custom
5 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense

Only two issues, one FTE of the Freedom on the second mag, casing came about half way out of chamber and slide jammed against next round in mag. I pushed the round back down into the mag, let the slide close on the spent round, pulled the slide and the round ejected and loaded the next one just fine

issue two was the 3rd shot of 5 of the Custom was a stovepipe. That concerned me. Shot the next two, then two mags of Freedom, then 5 rounds more Custom and 5 rounds Critical Defense without issue.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385846925768.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385846925768.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 245
Finally went shooting today. I shot my Sigma 9mm and my Sig P250c 40sw. I had a mixture of ammo but I wanted to try the 40sw Critical Defense 165s to see that it'll work in my Sig. I shot 10 and kept 10 for SD. It shot good and man does it pop hard. Also shot some of my PDX1 165s and saved 10. I shot up the Rem 180s which I only had 10 of. Mild compared to the CDs and PDX1s.

I had the 9mm PDX1 124+Ps for years and I wondered if they'll shoot still. They did. I also got to try the Critical duty 135s and they shot fine. I saved ten and I still have 10 PDX1s saved too. Also shot up a handful of 115 FMJs.

Got a bunch around the bullseye but started to gyrate toward the left. I guess because it was pretty cold outside and I'm losing concentration. Glad to say all on target at 10 yards. :)

EDIT: Forgot to add that I like the CDs so they're now my carry ammo, 165 for my 40sw and 135 for my 9mm.

Ran 32 rounds through the M&P 45 today. Half freedom reloads half wolf steel case. Mag springs are stiff, hard to get the last round in, and hard to get a full mag into the gun. All all rounds ran an fired fine. Gun shoots low and left. And groups aren't very tight. Plan to work on that with some different sights. Trying to decide between XS 24/7 which only have front illumination. Or Trijicon 3 dot all illuminated.

My P250 still have a stiff spring and I couldn't insert a full mag in to the gun at all. I felt that it'd be hard on the mag lock plus the slide have a ramp that will push down even more as it goes back. Seems it'll cause undue wear on it so I leave one round out.

Something for you to think about. :)

I just loaded the mags, went ahead and loaded one into the gun. Leaving them stored like that. Kind of a break in. If they designed it to hold and operate at that capacity then it should.

25 yards with CZ-75BD 9mm. 1st shot (off to left in 9 ring) was double action when the CZ had less than 200 rounds thru it, trigger has really smooth out since.

cz-75bdamptarget003_zps8ec7b5ef.jpg

cz-75bdamptarget002_zpsd0923a77.jpg

CZ-75BD001_zpsee6551a1.jpg

I had about an hour of free time yesterday while the Kids were napping. Had to take the SR1911 out for her inaugural test run. Put one box of 50 Federal 230grn Ball through her. No hiccups and some very good groups for me. I'm no expert Handgunner... but this looks promising!

What a difference 10yds makes... especially with fat novak sights. It's certainly not the best group (this is my shooting... not the gun), but acceptable in my book.

Thanks... did ya see what I did there??? Wind... :lol:

Curious what kind of wind would cause a 5" POI shift of a 230 lead ball traveling at 850ft/s???

Did you shoot any other than factory mags through it? Friend of mine shot 10 mags of different makes through his Sunday. And it had problems with the cheaper ones. As he tossed them to the side I loaded them an put them through my Taurus with no issues. Not knowing your mag preference it might be food for thought.

Great to see you shooting your SR1911, AK..... It's a really good, well built gun.

That was some very respectable shooting IMO.