• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

Re: Fun Morning at the Range (Thanks Nitesite)

Sounds like a great day and quite an experience. That nitesite's a great guy isn't he! Glad you got a chance to heat up your new XD. How'd you like it?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Sounds like a great day and quite an experience. That nitesite's a great guy isn't he! Glad you got a chance to heat up your new XD. How'd you like it?

It was awesome, especially once my grip got corrected. I had been holding with my left hand too low, so I was getting a good amount of unnecessary recoil and was having some control problems as a result. Once I fixed that, I was shooting a lot more accurately. I am really happy that I went with the XD and not the S&W I had been looking at that had a really long trigger pull.

It's always nice to have an experienced shooter with you at the range to help with your mechanics. It's amazing how changing the little things we may have never thought of make such a BIG difference on target.

Derek,

It was a real pleasure to meet up with and shoot with you! You impressed me a lot with your safe gun handling and your accuracy really improved quickly! I told you I was proud of you whenever you'd drop the hammer on an already fired chamber in your 642, and your gun didn't jump around. That's very good right there! Shows a good steady hand. :)

You definitely have some really nice firearms, which is amazing because of the very short time you've spent acquiring them. All of them are guns I myself would be very proud to own! You wanna go again someday just holler.

And thanks for bringing some of your microbrewed beer for me to sample and enjoy. It is really appreciated and I'm chilling a few overnight. :D

Hope you enjoy the lead and brass and bullets and stickers and ammo. And just because they're less lethal I wouldn't try the rubber slugs on your fiance if I were you.... :lol:

Guys, if I didn't already like honkey (and I do) I would start liking him because the last glimpse I saw of him as I drove off was seeing him scooping up fired brass that was laying around everywhere!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Sounds awesome fellas, good times!!! I like readin this kind of stuff and seein folks meet up and share and learn, thats SWEET!!!

So when you guys comin to Ohio so we can hook up here? ;) Stop by TN and pick up LES, then we swing out to the East Coast for RipJack and a few others and then we cruise I80 for a cross country sweep then down PCH for Oli and the rest of them!!! Thats gonna be the best trip ever! :D

We should tie it in with fall hunting season!

I want to go shooting and get grip pointers from you too :)

Its cool Oli! We're gonna do the nation wide swing and pick up all our members, best range day on record ever!

But yeah, I want practical shooting pointers too! ;)

Now that sounds like an AWESOME trip!!!

...and I'm really glad we'll have an LEO representative with us in the caravan in case we get pulled over with enough firearms and ammo to occupy a small country... :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
...and I'm really glad we'll have an LEO representative with us in the caravan in case we get pulled over with enough firearms and ammo to occupy a small country... :lol:

and we can put out all the fires we start too !

you know we are going to be shooting tracers through all of John A's machine guns, so yeah were going to star a few fires :lol:

Absolutely!!!

You still have any of that tannerite? Might as well go all out if we'll have our own fire brigade... :D

can always get more tannerite !

New Taurus 709 vs Kahr CW9 range report

6963992756_ed446815d5.jpg

7110066229_722bdc5251_c.jpg

7110068005_1453c7a72c.jpg

I warmed up the 709 with a few mags from a rest to make sure that it was in good working order and to sight in. The sights were spot on - an improvement from what I was expecting. Taurus is apparently responding to the complaints and returns of guns with sight concerns. All rounds were from 7yds - typical for HD and a good place to start with a new small frame gun. Target #1 is pictured above (all 8" side by side conveniently supplied by the range) Jay Henges Shooting Range Information | Missouri Department of Conservation A MO dept. of Conservation facility - at $3 per hour it's my favorite test-and-tune shooting range. This target is all 709, left is White Winchester 115 ball - right is Magtech 115 ball shot off hand. Notice the tendency for low and right. I tightened my grip (my pinky is under the mag) in future shots and that helps - see the results ahead.

CONTINUED

Re: New Taurus 709 vs Kahr CW9 range report

7110070895_4143a73ab0.jpg

7110069423_c0c9cbdfcd.jpg

Target #2 is head to head White Box Winchester 115 ball. Note the Kahr on the left is a bit high but the groups are slightly tighter and the 709 is accurate enough for sure AND the low shots are gone.

Target #3 is all Fiocchi 124 JHP - one of my preferred SD loads. Note that during this group I had 2 FTF on the 709 even with the double strike - NEVER happened with that round before. Both groups are decent SD small pistol groups - YES I'm shooting more with the 709 (on the right) - it was a 'break in' day after all.

All-in-all it was a good day at the range. The FTFs concerned me. On cleaning at home I noticed the firing pin was stiff and gritty. Initially I'd been lazy and put enough solvent through the firing pin housing to (so I thought) dissolve the factory gunk - WRONG!! I disassembled the system, cleaned it well and it needed it. The firing pin now returns under its own spring tension. It still feels a bit sluggish to me but the gun is new to me.

I'll be at the range with the 709 again tomorrow and will post up. I'll be taking a larger variety of 9mm ammo and will report. All in all I'm really pleased with how well the 709 shot beside a gun that I know well, has a longer barrell and a reputation as a good shooting small frame pistol!! The 709 is definitely looking like a keeper and if I cured the FTF situation I will most likely have my new summer pocket pistol. It's great in cargo pants, pretty good in jeans and will work well in coat / jacket pockets as well!!

Re: New Taurus 709 vs Kahr CW9 range report

Very nice!

Keep us posted on the trigger situation. Thanks for the detailed report...

Back